1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

‘15 Monster 821 Won’t Trickle Charge And Dies After Idling For 1-2 Seconds

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Alpha Romeo, Jan 4, 2020.

1. I bought my Monster at the beginning of December and put it into Ducati for an annual service. They noticed that it needed a new sprag clutch so I returned it to the dealer under warranty and they fitted a new sprag clutch and starter motor.

move just had the bike returned and now it won’t trickle charge (I don’t have a multimeter yet). I purchased an Optimate the day after I bought the bike (it’s my first bike!) and it was trickle charging fine before I had it serviced. Also, almost every time, when I attempt to start it, it gets to idling for 1-2 seconds and then dies.

After several attempts, I can usually get it running and it will run okay until I turn the engine off.

Are these new problems connected? I’m hoping that Ducati can take a look at it soon but my nearest place is still closed for Xmas/NY...

many thanks

2. *move = I’ve

My optimate (which I bought brand new) just had the green power on light and never gets to trickle charging. It could be a red herring but I’m wondering if the battery is too flat to properly start the bike or something.

3. The dying may be because it needs a TPS reset.
    Do you have a fast idle lever? What does it say about start up procedure in the owners’ manual?
    Sprag problems are usually caused by trying to start with a depleted battery.
    Is the fuse in the fly lead gone?
    Are the fly leads connected the right way around?

4. Thanks for the reply - hoping to get it into Ducati this week!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information