1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4 1,500 Miles So Far

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Veetwin, Aug 11, 2021.

1. V4S - 1,500 miles so far

Took delivery of my 5th Mutley, a V4S 8 weeks ago and have had the 1st service and some extras fitted that weren’t ready on the pick-up date. Previous Multi was a 1260S and I wouldn’t order a V4 until I could test ride one (No test rides due to COVID etc.), the test ride was to see how it felt in terms of handling with the 19” front and it felt good to me!

The bike is an S model with the Travel and Radar pack fitted plus Spotlights, Top Box, oil cooler guard, Engine guard plate (keeps the lower half of the engine cleaner) and the Ducati Hand guards (the metal ones that better protect the levers / guards - (I wasn’t sure if the Bark-Busters from the 1260 would fit). I had the silver side panels swapped for red ones and Road 5’s fitted – (I hate dual purpose tyres!). I also have the raised Heated Comfort seat now as well and a Sat Nav mount.

So, what is it like? It is different from the 1260, the biggest difference for me is using the gearbox more than the 1260. You could put the 1260 into 3rd and ride all day (almost), with the V4 you need to use the gears more and the QS is very good above 5k rpm, a bit more clunky below that, just like the 1260. The V4 motor is Excellent and just wants to rev, it feels quicker than the 1260 and a glance at the speedo often says so, probably as the motor is so smooth. Really nice deep induction roar as it goes over 6K revs and it just wants to keep on going.

Niggles – The tank cubby hole is small and only an iPhone would fit, also it is deep if you drop anything down in there you can’t get it out – the bottom of mine is blanked off with foam now! Good for toll tickets etc. probably won’t use the USB port in there at all.

The 12V under seat socket can’t be used unless you take out the Ducati puncture kit – no big deal as I carry an AirPro kit in the top box.

The V4 motor crank casers come with threaded holes (2 on the right and 3 on the left) where they mount the motor in the build stage, these are left open (corrosion?) - I have fitted cut down SS bolts to fill those holes.

It can be hard to get on the centre stand (for me) – the only time I feel the extra weight.

Engine heat - it runs HOT – should be great in the winter but in traffic it the fans cut in quite quickly, it doesn’t overheat just runs hot.

Tank range – During running in (until 750m in my case) it was fine 180-190 per tank, however when you start to use the revs above 6K it is like me – it likes a drink! Not sure yet but on a fast run it will be more like 140 -150 when the fuel light comes on, could even be less! There is still about 4 - 5 litres left so plenty to get to a fuel stop.

Ignition Switch – lost count of the number of times I have hit the starter button to switch it on rather than the V4 central Ignition switch!

Good points – Lots! The standard screen and winglets are really good (for me) and for once I’m not looking at any aftermarket screens, easy to use and quiet.

The comfort seat is comfortable (for once) and better than the stock seat.

The drain hole in the swinging arm is bigger and works (OK it’s not an SSA) but it doesn’t collect water .

Proper metal guards on the rear brake master cylinder and switch, keeps it protected and clean.

Brakes better than my 1260, lots of feel and the rear works well.

Suspension is really good (better than the 1260) still playing with settings but getting there, the handling is still that of a Ducati Multistrada and once set in the bends it just stays online. The 19” front needs a bit more of a push to get it set for a corner but once done it stays online

Blind spot detectors are very useful (a bit annoying in traffic but you get used to them blinking). Adaptive cruise control is very good and it does work, it can apply a lot of braking so be aware! I will use it more on long trips – when they get going again!

DID chain as standard – hooray!

Panniers are easy to fit and remove.

Folding gear and brake levers could be useful. Brake and clutch master cylinders on the bars have metal brackets now rather than the flimsy integrated plastic ones.

Dash Screen is very clear and the menus are easy to use.

The lower 1st gear is useful for slow riding / traffic, also easier to manoeuvre at slow sped the small amount of extra weight just disappears.

What do I miss from the 1260? – That real push feeling out of bends as the torque comes in . The V4 is just as quick, if not quicker, the power delivery is just different, smoother and it is there in any gear and all the time.

I was sad to see the 1260 go after 32k miles but after 1500 miles I have to say the V4 is the better bike!

• Like Like x 21
    • Useful Useful x 3
  2. A very balanced and fair assessment. Andy

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Good honest write up :upyeah:

4. I would agree with most of what you say.

The heat thing is a strange one. On the test rides I had I thought it was warmer than I liked but not hot like a Panigale, my bike however seems perfectly fine. The temp gauge seems to say the same.
    Fuel consumption is heavier but not sure the fuel light comes on any earlier than my 1200 and 150 miles is fine before needing a refill. A lot of new bikes these days seem to do 45mpg max at best.
    I want to fit some engine bars to mine. Not sure whether to go SW Motech or factory yet. Price difference is over £100.
    It is a fabulous motorcycle. Great for touring and covering miles.

5. Nice report Veetwin.

Out of interest, what Sat Nav holder have you installed and where is it placed... above or below the dash screen?

6. I have the Iconic one, this looks like a factory option in terms of how and where it fits, all very neat, however recently the 3D part delaminated and broke, new parts are in the post so happy with the service and was told it can happen at times so will refit when they arrive. I have seen the Evotech unit and that will never break! rather agricultural in style and made of 4mm alloy. Both fit the sat nav above the screen and both fit so that the Sat Nav and screen can easily be seen and both allow easy access to the screen height adjuster.

Ducati (iconicparts.uk)

EP TomTom Compatible Sat Nav Mount | Ducati Multistrada V4 S – Evotech-Performance

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. I agree with you.
    the v4 is a brilliant bike, the only issue I have is with a spongey front brake lever.
    Hopefully, this will be getting sorted soon.

8. How podgy & tall are you?

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Who me ? :)
    83 Kg with kit on
    1.80 Mtr with boots on

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. And another thing I found out at the weekend -
    The V4S comes with the front fork preload set to 5 turns in - says so in the manual - so I checked (trust no one!) and it is 5 turns in from fully out! My 1260 came with just 1/2 turn in - thanks to this forum it got sorted pretty quickly.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. garmin and iconic - tour tech brackets

IMG_7996.JPG

IMG_7998.JPG

IMG_8001.JPG

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. I've got the Iconic sat nav mount for the Garmin and I'm not overly impressed with it. It does a job but the quality isn't there. It's been made wrong during the bending process of the lugs and sits on the piss. Also I think it sticks out too far from the screen mounts and you can't have the screen in the high position with the sat nav mounted as it just bounces about to the point where I thought either the 3D printed part was going to snap or the satnav was going to come away from the mount. Should have got the Evotech bracket but no availablity when I needed it. Think I'll modify the Iconic one and see if it makes any difference. If not I'll buy the Evotech one which is £40 cheaper too.....

13. Good write up :upyeah:. It is an unbelievably proficient, comfortable and very very fast bike.

First service next week for me :upyeah:.

EF4B0AF6-4866-4B4E-A445-11B634074C65.jpeg D3555C67-FA6F-42B8-962A-72E1EF91412E.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  14. My first service on Monday too.

I could ride this bike all day and then some.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. i fitted the tour tech bracket to the iconic

IMG_7612.JPG

IMG_7615.JPG

16. Good luck with that extra weight on the bracket. The mounting points that the iconic bracket uses are not rigid enough and I can't put the screen in the high position with satnav mounted as it bounces about so much I think it's going to snap / drop off. The Evotech one looks like it has better mounting points. If it ever comes back in stock I'll get one.

17. 8 hrs in the saddle today and 500km without any motorway as I took it back fir its first service - boy these bikes are brilliant:upyeah:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Good info, especially compared to 1260. One question though, have any of you ridden the V4 in rain? I have heard complaints re. side winglets directing all the crap from the road straight on your legs and torso. Is that the case?

19. It’s bollx.

Ive ridden mine in heavy rain - first day :(, the heavens opened. I’ve also ridden it on what we call a ‘soft’ day over here. The tales you read on FB and the silly experiment with a power washer if you've seen that video are just that, silly. You do not get any wetter or covered in shite than on any other faired motorcycle.

Ducati spent hours & hours in one of VW’s wind tunnels perfecting the air movement over the bike I think they would have thought about what happens when it rains.

When riding the bike I’m impressed about how little wind actually hits you, you do sit in a bubble of calm air:upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  20. Had my first ride of the V4S over the past 2 days whilst my 1200s was in for a belt service.
    I was not sold one the looks when it came out, but much better in the flesh. I like your review and I was pleasantly surprised with the handling; felt much improved over the Skyhook I have on mine. Much more planted.
    Power delivery as you stated; very different.

Also at low speed, the front end feels much lighter. Noticeable when I got back on mine.

One thing I found and not sure if anyone else has. At about 3500 rpm, there is a slight "whine" from the engine. It is a V4 thing? I thought it was a car I was following at first, but realised it was the bike. Must admit it has put me off a bit as that's all I could hear at times.

Apart from that, great bike! Glad you are pleased with yours, I can see why :upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information