1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1 Piece Vs 2 Piece Suit ?

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by iang27, Jun 30, 2019.

1. I have always had a 1 piece Dainese suit but the Laguna Seca I got a year or so ago appears to have shrunk since last year !
    I get a Uk40 as the 42 is too baggy on the legs for me and the zip is becoming harder to get pulled up.

I was thinking of the Laguna Seca 2 piece as I was told the fit wasn’t as tight as the 1 piece but my local dealer has none to try.
    He suggested a separate jacket and trousers which in effect is a 2 piece but he says the separate jacket is longer at the back than the one that is part of the 2 piece suit.

Has anyone went from a 1 piece to a 2 piece suit and how did you find the fit in comparison.

I did try the separate trousers in a smaller size ( Eu48 ) and they fit but the legs seemed a big baggy above the knee compared to my 1 piece.

2. Made to measure?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. You have to weigh up the pros and cons of the practicality or dedication to either side of the argument.:thinkingface:
    But if you have access to both worlds all the better for those different applications.:upyeah:

4. For racing or track days- 1 piece

For road and the occasional track day - 2 piece

Seeing as you are in Northumberland I presume you are talking about M&S?

I must have had a dozen Dainese suits from them over the years, I currently have 3 Dainese suits, none of which are 1 piece .
    A really old 2 pc black “Luce” suit that I use on my old bike

A 2 pc “X-tech” that’s about 7 years old now and a 2 pc “Laguna Seca” that I’ve had for about 4 years now.

I will say that it’s noticeable how the quality in the Dainese suits has declined in the newer ones, not built with as much attention to detail these days, still good suits, but the older ones were absolutely blinding!

I remember having a week on the Isle of Man years ago in a 1 piece suit and I came back home with chronic back ache!
    The reason being that the Dainese 1 piece suits are cut in a race tuck - narrow across the chest and shorter length at the front, they fit great when you are tucked in on the bike, but if you get a good snug fit you can’t stand up properly in the buggers and it puts your back into compression when you try to do so.

The two piece suits are not so tight across the chest and also allow you to stand up easier, but...they have a really good strong zip around the full waist, they are constructed in 1 piece and then cut and re- joined by the waist zip.
    Best option imo for the road.

Separate jacket and trousers would be my least favourite option, yes they help if you’re not “average “ build, if you have a chest like a barrel and skinny hips for example, but they never seem to join together as well as a 2 piece suit, the joining zip is quite small and doesn’t go all the way around, normally leaves a gap at the front , every time I’ve tried them on I just don’t feel like they are joined together securely enough?? But that’s just my opinion

Don’t know if that’s helped or confused you even more??

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Yes it was M&S.
    They told me they barely sell any full suits any more and everyone wNts separate jacket and trousers.

It is across the chest that I am finding it tight on the 1 piece. The zip is about 4” apart before zipping it up.

I was tempted to get the Laguna Seca 2 piece but just wasn’t sure if the chest is a little bit slacker and it wasn’t a race cut like the 1 piece.
    Sounds like it could do the job.

6. 2 piece fit very differently. As poucher says, imho lots of trackdays 1 piece, occasional track and mostly road, 2 piece.

You can’t race with 2 piece.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. I've moved from Dainese to Alpinestars. The legs on Dainese leathers are just too short for me and get uncomfortable when I bend my knees on a sports bike. Alpinestars are much more forgiving and comfortable. Dainese cuffs are also made from razor blades, designed to hack into your wrists. o_O

2 piece suits are a bit more versatile and easy to get in and out of.

8. I’ve got a Laguna Seca and also a Racing 3 jacket and Pony trousers which zip together to make a 2 piece of sorts - all size 50. The jacket is noticeably roomier than the LS, although the Pony trousers are about the same in the legs as the suit, waistband is bigger though

9. Imho try and stick with a single brand for 2 piece, one that also does textile, so you have a common zip :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Go down to Bernard Castle and see Jim at Scott Leathers. He’ll make you whatever you want and it WILL fit.

Can’t recommend them enough. From what I’ve seen of Dianese suits lately they are nowhere near as good as Scott’s bespoke suits.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. I was tempted to look at Alpine Stars leathers. Some of their suits looks really nice. Again would have to try some.

12. Fairly recently I bought a Alpinestars 1 piece suit in a uk 50, snug across chest/belly but it fitted the best . I only ride on the road so a two piece would be more practical .
    I tried the two piece version of the same suit on and it just didn't fit as right? for some reason, so bought the one piece and love it so far .

13. I had the same train of thought last year and bought some Alpinestars 2 piece. I went to the TT in them and they were great when it was warm and could take the jacket off but I hated them on the bike. The gap at the front where they don’t zip together is horrible and I feel much better in a 1 piece.

There’s some really good quality made to measure suits at reasonable prices from the likes of 4SR and DRC.

I’ve just bought some 4SR leathers and I’m really pleased with them.

14. I still have Dainese troosers and jacket from many years back, the jacket in particular excellent quality. The trousers were not so good. Main observation though if I remember right the connecting zips are rather short.

15. I noticed in the pictures of the 2 piece suits that there does appear to be a gap between the middle of the trousers and jacket. I don’t know if this is the same on a proper 2 piece suit or if it is mainly on the separate jacket and trousers.
    Might go and try an AS suit to see what they feel like or look at some of the newer brands if I can find anyone local that sells them.

16. They normally have a 3/4 round zip. Imagine the damage to the tank if it zipped all the way around. Plus it would probably restrict fitting

I price feel great on a bike, crap off. 2 price feel great off, crap on. (Sports bike crouch)

• Like Like x 1
  17. No damage to tank bradders, the zip is hidden about 2 inches underneath the jacket bottom , just leather contacting the tank.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. It would if it wrapped all the way around to the front imho.

19. The zips aren’t left exposed, get a look at a set of 2 pc, all hidden underneath??

20. They don’t come all the way around. I’m saying that’s one of the reasons it’s only a 3/4 zip: otherwise both ends would be right where belly hits tank.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information