1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

10% Ethanol...

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by jamesgarnor, Mar 8, 2020.

1. HMG are looking at making fuel have 10% ethanol. Will it affect us?

2. Only if you put it in your fuel tanks.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Has anyone published how E10 will affect fuel economy?

Are there figures on how the reduction of CO2 (a minor greenhouse gas) is calculated?

I have questions : o )

4. What about the impact of trying to grow crops as fuel using land that was forest or land that should be used to grow food ????? Forestry is already being destroyed at an alarming rate to satisfy the demand for palm oils crops and sugar cane, take into account the co2 released in the destruction, the co2 thats no longer absorbed by the missing trees, the co2 created replacing the vehicles that arnt compatible with e10, the co2 created as the fuel lowers the mpg hence more fuel used. Etc etc etc .

#6 idrinkbeer, Mar 8, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Even if you don’t use any?

6. The big one was back in the day when tetraethyl lead in petrol was banned. The effect was that engines designed on the assumption that lead would be present in the fuel suffered major problems. Excessive wear of valve seats, guides, and valves, and detonation were the sort of issues that required an engine rebuild - if that was even economically feasible.

The effects of the more recent introduction of ethanol are minor by comparison. Deterioration of fuel pipes and seals, if it happens at all, is pretty cheap and easy to fix. And vehicles made in the past 15 years or so are made to cope with ethanol fuel anyway. As far as fuel tanks are concerned, steel tanks which were made 20, 30, or 40 years ago may well rust through but they were doing that anyway with or without ethanol. Plastic tanks are mainly unaffected, but some batches of tanks have been made by subcontractors using unsuitable grades of plastic (including Ducati ones) leading to distortion; properly specified tanks will be fine.

Stretching fossil fuel supplies by mixing in 10% of renewable biomass fuel is a good idea. It's funny to see some people flapping about it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Slightly off piste but did I read somewhere the other day that the Government are dropping the tax break on red diesel??

I wonder what our traveler caravan dwelling friends will make of that??? :laughing:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. There’s still plenty of pure rapeseed oil in Macro.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. It'll have no effect on the pikeys at all as they nick it from the farmers and never pay for it anyway. Thieving scum.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Oh aye. For sure they'll find a way round it.

11. Never mind the Pikeys, what will I put in my new van

12. Your new bike. What have you got? It better not be better than mine.....:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Bought a Ferrari van :joy:

Nah bought a 2015 Vivaro

• Like Like x 1
  14. Had a recall notice on my Harley which was to have an E10 sticker put on the fuel cap :grinning:

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Was hoping my Sportie would run on anything Moonshine even splendid news for once

Do Not Sell My Personal Information