1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 10 Years Riding Multistrada 1200s

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by steveb123, Nov 5, 2020.

1. In the last 10 years, I’ve been lucky enough to own 4 Multi 1200s and clock up a total of 66,000 miles on them. I love the torque of the big V-twin engine, the good handling, superb brakes, the ease of changing suspension setup for solo or two up riding, the flexible luggage options and even the styling. I’ve enjoyed nearly every mile, even in riding in the rain. The bikes have had a few minor faults and recalls and I’ve only twice had to call out a breakdown service and one of those was arguably my fault.

The Bikes
    All bikes have been the S model with the factory fitted Touring pack (panniers, main stand and heated grips) plus top box and various tank bags over the years. I’ve always fitted radiator, oil cooler and engine guards together with auxiliary LED lights, Scottoiler, Barkbusters handguard protectors, high level sat nav mount (Navihalter), and Oberon clutch slave cylinder. I’ve also got through my fair share of screens and seats on the different bikes.

I’ve only kept each bike a couple of years, usually changing when a new model was available:
    • 2010: 15,500 miles in 2½ years
    • 2013: 14,000 miles in 2 years
    • 2015: 15,400 miles in 2½ years
    • 2017: 21,000 miles in 3 years
    The first two bikes were red and the last two have been white. Overall the finish of the bikes held up well apart from the rusting chains and corrosion on some of the fasteners when I used the 2010 bike over the winter.

The Miles
    About 25,000 (40%) of the miles have been on European tours:
    • 9 with the wife on the back (inc. Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg plus Sardinia and Corsica).
    • 5 with a mate (inc. Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark. Austria)
    • 3 European Multistrada Meetings (2017: Picos, 2018: Hault Savoir, 2019: Pyrenees). This 2020 EMM in Portugal was postponed a year.
    My parents live in Cornwall, which is a 550 mile round trip for me, and I do the trip on the bike 3 times a year. This has added up to over 16,000 miles in the last 10 years. I’ve done a few tours in the UK and a lot of ride outs more than a couple of hours accounting for another 14,000 odd miles. That still leaves a lot of mile and they can’t have all been to the local Ducati dealer.

I’ve never used the bikes for commuting, and in any case “work gave me” in late 2011 which is the reason I’ve managed to do so many bike tours. I did ride the 2010 bike over a couple of winters but have given that up as nether me or the bike enjoyed it.

Tyres etc.
    Regarding consumables, I’ve got through 24 sets of tyres, other than the OE Scorpions all have been being Michelin Pilot Road 3 / 4 / Road 5 apart from a set of Pirelli Angel GTs. I’ll be trying a set of Metzerler Roadtec 01 SE next. I typically get about 4,000 miles out of back tyre. I change tyres as a set and always put a new set on before a European tour. I’ve been lucky only having had a couple of slow punctures in the rear tyre in 10 years.

I’ve got through a fair few brake pads over the years along with gear change and main stand rubbers. I’ve also replaced quite a few screws where the hex socket has deformed.

Breakdowns
    Only twice have I had to call out a breakdown service:
    • On the second day of ownership of my 2010 Multi, the steering lock wouldn’t release (probably the first time it was ever used). The bike was recovered to the dealer and the hands free unit was replaced. I got the bike back a week later. Not a great start to Multistrada ownership.
    • Also on my 2010 bike, on the second day of a tour in Spain I managed to flatten the battery by leaving the red switch down. I used the Ducati Card to get a mechanic to come out with a jump start pack. I did an hour’s ride to charge the battery and the bike was fine for the rest of the tour.The battery never fully recovered and wouldn’t hold charge for more than a week. At home the battery was always on a tender. I brought a set of jump leads which I had to use a couple of time on tour when the bike wasn’t ridden for a couple of days. I now have a small jump start battery pack which I’ve never used on the bike however it has started 3 cars.
    Recalls and Warrant Claims
    The bikes have had all the usual minor faults fixed under recall/warranty: fuel level senders, side stand, heated grips. I’ve also had a few parts changed by the dealer under warranty when having the 2010 bike serviced; new rear suspension unit (intermittent DES errors) and a couple of valve rocker arms (worn surface). I’ve purchased the bikes and had all the serving done by Ducati Aylesbury. Over the years I’ve built up a good relationship with the service staff

I had to have the exhaust/cat box welded on the 2015 bike as it had cracked where the silencer pipe leaves the main box. This was done after the 2 year warranty had expired. Ducati could not provide a 4 year warranty extension in 2015, on all the other bikes I took out 4 year extended warranties.

Accidents
    I’ve had 3 “accidents”, all topple overs when stationary; twice on the 2010 bike when two up and fully loaded and once on the 2017 bike when getting off the bike in a potholed layby. Other than a broken handguard (only the first time, thanks to the Barkbusters) and scratched panniers no real damage was done other than to my pride. I’ve not fitted engine bars or crash bobbins to any of the bikes.

The Future
    As to the future, I plan to keep the 2017 bike for at least another year, as the bike has a four year warranty and it’s had the Desmo service done. I might have considered trading in for a new 1260 in a year or so however that is no longer an option. I’ll have a test ride on a Multistrada V4S and will try not to be tempted until it’s been out at least a year. By then I’ll be 65 so it’ll be just a case of staying fit and well enough to ride it until it needs the valve service :)

#1 steveb123, Nov 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
    • Like Like x 48
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Very similar to myself, on my 4th Multi, a 1260S, and had one of each generation and ridden over 100K miles on the 4 bikes. The 1260 has 30K on it now and is (IMO) the best yet, if you can get a cheap 1260S you should if you love the big V twin bikes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Now that post deserves a couple of pages in Ride/Bike etc etc ... :upyeah:

10 years for me next year Steve, I'm only on my third bike and I'm about 15k miles behind you, here's to at least another 10 in the saddle :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Now that’s what I call a “long term test” :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Loved this - an unsolicited positive post of the multi’s I love!!

Thanks Steve

• Like Like x 1
  6. I’m on my first Multi, a 1260, and absolutely love it. I’m looking forward to many years of Ducati ownership, and am trying not to look at the V4 too much! :D

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  7. An excellent update and post from a really friendly, knowledgeable, genuine guy, who is really into his details.....:D
    One thing puzzles me though, he hasn't mentioned the myriad of colour coded spreadsheets, iffy overtakes, crossing double white lines, sat-nag planning to go down goat tracks, etc, which I know him for :p
    I mean, come on, if you are going to give an historical Mutli ownership insight, give us the works :laughing:;)

• Funny Funny x 5
  8. I'm a bit worried that Steve will be unable to cope with the in-built satnav on the V4.

He might try to hack it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Awesome write up always nice to hear a great review of a fantastic motorcycle
    I’m on my first multistrada a 2013 PP brought from a dealer 2nd hand with 2 previous owners
    (I have since bumped into the previous owner and he has just brought another multi because he missed his old one !!!)
    The bike was Showing just over 12,000 miles with a full service history
    Px my 1199s Pannigale with a bit of cash my way
    I loved that bike it was the most beautiful bike I have ever owned but it had its faults still love one in my garage just to look at because it I had my multi in the same garage I would choose the multi over the Pannigale
    I have only managed a little over 4,000 this year which I don’t think is too bad considering most of the year we have been in lockdown
    Since my ownership I have put a new set of pilot road 5s
    An evotech tail tidy
    Fitted a sat nav mount to suit my garmin
    Ducati heated grips (I like to ride even when it gets cold)
    Hands free petrol cap
    I’m Just about to fit some lovely DP LED rear indicators and finally
    I fitted a new chain and sprockets about 500 miles ago
    I love owning a Ducati
    I think this is a great forum and I have made some great purchases through this Very forum
    I what to keep this motorcycle for a very long time

• Like Like x 9
  10. Thank you Steve for such a detailed review. Don't let age influence your decisions it's only a number.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  11. It just struck me that I'm in the 10 years on a Multistrada list, but that only includes a 2010 - 1200S (single valve head) and a 2017 - 1200 Enduro. All in, I've only done about 32k miles in that time (22k + 10k). Some of that mileage includes up to 3,500 mile Euro tours, so the non-tour years like 2020 for instance, I've only done 500 miles! Had a few of the usual problems, worst being an 'early adopter' of the porous head syndrome on the 2010 bike, before they actually had any replacements (as they'd moved to the 2 valve head) and my bike was off the road for 6 months! Had 2 drops, one on each, both stationary and both resulting in very little damage (bit of paint on 2010). I'm using the bike less and less nowadays, so can't actually foresee me being able to justify replacing this current one tbh - certainly not at £28k for a loaded V4S Sport?

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Nice write up Steve.

I'm also a 10year owner, with similar miles on these bikes.
    First bike, a white S touring was delivered May 2010, first batch of bikes. Had that until December 2013, when I bought another 2012 bike (so still ohlins). I didnt like the matt grey, so with the help of Dammo on here, came up with a pikes peak paint scheme but in Senna Grey (this has since been copied for a few DVT bikes sold by P&H). I have that bike to this day, its a keeper.
    I added a white 2018 enduro in early 2019.

I have had a few issues. The first one broke a ring and needed new barrels and pistons (long story, posted on here).
    The Grey one ate a piece of piston in 2017 (I think, might have been 18), again new barrels and pistons.
    That's pretty much it though, apart from a few sets of fork seals and a set of rear preload adjuster seals. Oh, and the issues the early bikes had with heated grips wearing out.

Some of my riding buddies are long term owners too, whilst others who change bikes regularly have tried GSs, XRs, etc but always seem to come back to the Multi sooner or later.
    Its great to see the long termers on here. Despite most of us not actually having met each other, we share the same stories :cool:

Roll on another 10 years :)

• Like Like x 3
  13. I've had my 2014 multi 1200 s 6 years same bike not changed it . 1 breakdown some sensor sent revs haywire cheap fix but needed recovery . Exhaust valve stuck but no error code. And heated grips packed up this year .Great bike I test rode 1260 found it bulky and no faster so waiting for v4 my test ride is booked

• Like Like x 3
  14. Nearly 10 years in my case, on my third Multi and about 60K miles all together. Hardly any of the miles in 2020!

Before I took delivery of my current 2017 DVT, I had a few slight modifications done:

• Top box and panniers.
    • Small tank top bag with USB charger.
    • Electric locking petrol tank filler.
    • Replaced the original clutch slave cylinder with an Oberon.
    • Added Foam Grip Puppies over the top of the hand grips.
    • Replaced the standard footrests with Enduro ones (similar but larger).
    • Screen protector stuck over the instrument display (to pre-empt scratches).
    • Replaced the windscreen with a larger and tinted one.
    • RAM ball mount for Garmin satnav fitted to the left of the instruments.
    • Added inflatable comfort pad on the saddle.
    • DUC-EE device fitted to pre-empt problems with the exhaust flapper valve.
    Later on, replaced the Regina OEM chain with a good DID one. Sealed up the inside of the swinging arm to keep water and dirt off the eccentric hub. Replaced the OEM Pirelli tyres with Michelin Pilots.

That's about it. Everything else is standard, and just fine.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Think I might show these posts to my Beemer owning mates just to stop the predictable “Ducatis are unreliable” piss taking!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Pot kettle black

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Another long-termer here. Currently two Multis in my garage.

First and foremost my original black 2010 MTS Touring, various mods, QD exhaust + remap, plenty of carbon here and there, all recalls done, 42000 miles in total on second dash, suffered the usual problems with porous heads plus main bearings, valves were also changed as they didn’t match the new heads (all sorted by Snells, brilliant as usual), engine is now fresh and pulls like a train, a definite keeper.

Then there is a 950s I use for commuting, got it in March this year as a replacement for a two year old base 950 , around 15000 miles between the two, the 950s is a great bike, very comfortable and handles well, but it feels top heavy compared to the 2010 MTS which is more agile and powerful and even feels lighter.

I would struggle to say which is better. Funny thing is, when you ride them they both make you think they’re better than the other.

I am sure I am not the only one here with an original MY 2010 and still going strong.

Unconvinced about the V4 Multi, BTW.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. @hamilton you have awarded me my first nuke! for post 10 in this thread. I would be amused to hear why, please.

19. Interesting stuff to me. I am most interested because I will have the funds soon to buy a new bike - when my accident comp. is sorted out and my leg better, my family persuaded, etc, etc. My choice came down to either a Moto Guzzi V85 TT Travel or Ducati Supersort S. This will be for touring and the Ducati does have a disadvantage over the Guzzi, as the fuel tank is quite small (16 litres, from memory). A Multi 950s was in the frame for a while as I know that I can get touring luggage stuff for it but I thought that ...... well, I don't really know!

I guess that most of you would say that a Multi is best? Oh, that's right, I had some mad idea about doing track days again. As I cannot risk it because if I was to crash then that would be it with my family, if I ever manage to kept them cool with me even riding a bike again! Apart from the likelihood of my body falling apart!

I'm guessing the choice really should be Moto Guzzi V85 TT Travel v. Ducati Mulltistrada 950 S. The Guzzi is cheaper (and the allure is that I have never owned a Guzzi but the Ducati engine is more modern (like 4 valve head v. 2 valve head, etc) but the guzzi does have shaft drive that appeals for touring.

• Like Like x 1
  20. If you view the forum on an iPad you can inadvertently hit the Nuke button bud. :confused:

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information