1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1000ssds For Sale

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by WAH900ss, Jun 14, 2016.

• Like Like x 1
  1. Looks nice, but I don't know about clean... look into the nooks and corners, areas like the fork bottoms and the like don't look that clean. Makes me wonder what it's like under the fairing.

2. :rolleyes:

3. If you look at these, they just don't look squeaky clean... and it's clearly had its sales prep so I was just being critical... If that's the condition of somewhere that's dead easy to keep clean then what's going on in the tricky to reach and prone to corrode areas? I'm not possessed of x-ray eyes and might be going off on one for no reason, fully accepted... and because Internet I can (which isn't the same as should, I fully acknowledge).

That said, it's an unusual and nice looking bike, so even with the wonky silencers and scratches on the swingarm, elderly tyres etc. I wish the vendor GLWS :)

$_57.JPG

4. Wow Fire3500. Let me have first refusal on your bikes when you sell! They will be, no doubt, in new bike showroom condition!

I think this is a decent price for a dealer if the bike is as clean in the flesh. Low mileage too. Shame it is not the red frame version though. I reckon there might only be 5 in the UK. I went to see one a couple of years ago but it was £3500 and a bit rough.

Regarding the silencers, I have the same pair and had to pay a pipe bender to get mine to line up. Did not help that they were probably not designed for the late swingarm, which I also have.

The tyres look like the rider has been getting his knee down on a track too. Not sure I could say they look old from the pic.
    2006-Ducati-Supersport-1000DSc.jpg

#5 richgilb, Jun 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Easy tiger... :tearsofjoy:

Come on, have you *never* travelled to see something described as "mint" or "immaculate" and then got there to discover that there's a gulf between the description and the actual condition?

I didn't say it was over-priced, I observed some actual flaws with the bike. I didn't put it down in any way, only observed that there were some areas that would make me look / think carefully, perhaps even some haggling angles to work on. When a bike is prepped by a dealer for sale they often make a really nice job of buffing the obvious areas up, it's the dark snotty corners that tell the true tale of the bike, at least that's how I look at it.

So, if you want to go on the attack. Go for it, it's only my opinion that I'm expressing and you might have a different one and yours might be more righterer than mine... either way, you say your bit and I say mine. We're still people chatting on a forum who probably should be working instead... :D

I'm not saying my own bikes are showroom, and if you want an example of how I'd sell one of mine then I sold my 748 a few weeks back, gave an honest description and charged a fair price. I've been in touch with the new owner since and it was a great transaction, he is very happy with the bike. I had it for sale for a long while and encouraged the new owner to pore over it and even to ring the Ducati dealership who've serviced it to have a chat with the service manager, not to just take my word for it. So if you want first refusal on any of mine then you're welcome to. They're all well-maintained and honest, and pretty nice bikes. For a bit of context, I opened this thread as I'm increasingly interested in the injected SS and I think they're lovely.

I've wasted hours of my life, gallons of my petrol and pounds of my money viewing cars / bikes over the years that have been advertised in extremely misleading ways. Dealers are commercial ventures and they want to maximise their profit. If I'm saying "look close, look twice and be critical" then perhaps that's not me being a sanctimonious prick, but trying to help someone that might want their first Ducati and not know about peeling engine paint, corroded electrics etc... They're awesome bikes and it looks like you're a fan of the injected SS models yourself? I'm sure you'd want a new owner, and especially if it's their first SS or first Ducati to go into it eyes open and really enjoy ownership?

Of course this bike might have been superbly maintained, but encouraging a potential buyer to look closely, and beyond a shiny fairing and a fresh service is alright in my book. Worst case is that someone invests a bit of time and really knows what they're buying, and then feels really happy with their buy.

If that makes me an awful human... well I think I can about cope with that. :kissingheart:

• Like Like x 1
  6. BTW: interesting insight on the silencers, there you go... I learned something this morning :)

(And am I to take from that that they are wonky on this bike and require some remedial work? So maybe the new owner can haggle at least the cost of the pipework off the retail price? That's a nugget in itself, no?)

7. Speed parlour is a new MV dealership opened by Andy Thornburn who used to be at Italsport in Bury. He's a good local reputation.

Not sure about the company name as the premises was formerly a funeral parlour.

Coincidently, the 900ss I have came from Italsport 21 years ago this month

• Like Like x 2
  8. Bought my 907 from italsport and dealt with Andy. Real nice genuine enthusiast.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Obviously not many of you have viewed my bike.........:wink:

10. I'd insult you with an offer of £1500 and you can keep the spare parts, but I suspect it might not go down too well....

11. If you buy an IE, you will have to hang out in this sub-forum and the people with carbies pick on you. I went to counselling about it for a year and the counsellor told me to hold my head up high, as the IE is a better bike....

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Dead right

13. Is it true that they are a few kg lighter on the scales than the 900?

14. Did he/she own one :tonguewink:

15. Yep 10kg, according to owner's handbook.........so mine is even lighter as it has a 900 ally swingarm and much, much lighter zorsts.

16. is it the pistons, crank and flywheel making the difference?

17. single discs?

18. I'm still trying hard not to buy yours...

19. crikey chaps, tis only a second hand motorcycle, I didn't expect some sort of Spanish Inquisition:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information