1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1000ssie Ds Tps

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Nasher, Nov 14, 2020.

1. When I first got hold of my 1000SS it wasn't easy to start, it needed to have the throttle held slightly open in just the right place, with the fast idle fully shut off, then when it fired open the fast idle lever to about 1/2way and it would tick over really cleanly and warm up.

I did a bit of research online and discovered it probably needed the TPS reset, which made sense as I was aware it had been stored with a flat battery for a while.

Having been quoted £50 to have it reset at a local dealers, I downloaded the JPDiag software and purchased the recommended lead.
    It was really easy to connect to the ECU and reset the TPS.
    The bike then started easily and immediately like you'd expect from an injected bike.

Then when I doing some work to the bike I had the battery disconnected for a couple of hours and afterwards was back to needing to hold the throttle open etc.
    I reset the TPS again and it was back to starting very easily.

Today I fitted an Optimate battery charger cable to the bike and had the battery disconnected for probably less than a minute. And again the TPS needed to be reset.

On each occasion I've let the bike go fully to sleep with no Immobiliser LED flashing before disconnecting the battery.

Am I doing something wrong?
    I find it strange the TPS needs to be reset every time the battery is disconnected.
    It would get a bit expensive if I couldn't do it myself.

Thanks

Nasher.

• Like Like x 1
  2. How are you resetting a non-linear TPS using JPDiag?
    The TPS reset is for linear TPS.
    For your bike the TPS has to be reset using a multi-meter. Hence why the TPS has slots where the bolts attach.
    http://www.bikeboy.org/ducati2vthrottleb.html

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Chris

Hi.

I go into the test/reset tab on JPDiag, wait for the TPS angle to pop up.
    Opening the throttle changes the angle shown in the data box.
    Then I simply Press the RESET button.

After that it starts OK, so it's obviously doing something.

The link you've posted is bit of a scare, I wish I'd seen it before I started.
    I'll need to have a look at the TPS tomorrow and see what's fitted to the bike.
    But included in the text from Bikeboy is:

TPS fitment across all 2V models

Non Linear: 620Mie, 620SSie, 750Mie, 750SSie, 900Mie, 900SSie, 907, ST2, ST3 (before ’06).

Linear: 695 (I think), 800Mie, 800SSie, S2R 800, all 1000 and 1100 ds models, ST3 ’06 onward

So it looks like my 1000SSie DS should be fitted with a Linear TPS.

Nasher.

4. Non-linear 28440021a
    [​IMG]
    Or Linear

76DD46E6-FC1D-41E3-9E18-C48E7C44C9B6.jpeg

A quirk of JPDiag is it will allow the TPS routine even when a non-linear TPS is fitted.

#4 chrisw, Nov 14, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Easily observed as above. Non linear has slots for adjusting but for clarification the 1000ssie was fitted with a PF3C part number 28440021A and is a non linear TPS. My 2004 monster 1000ie is fitted with the linear TPS part number 28440081A.

6. Sorry Geoff, that's not correct.
    I've had a look today and the bike is definitely fitted with a linear TPS just as Bikeboy says, and about 50% of the websites I've checked agree.
    The other 50% say it's fitted with a non-linear PF3C like the 750SSie and 900SSie, but that's incorrect.

I've also had a message from another 1000SSie DS owner who's had a look and confirmed his is fitted with a Linear TPS. So it looks like for the 800SSie and 1000SSie DS the Linear TPS was fitted.

Nasher.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Thanks for the update. I’ll add this info to my notes. The TPS could be faulty. Hopefully you can pick up a cheap Fiat compatible one.

8. Thanks for correcting . Just goes to show you as that’s the part ducati list for the 2003 1000ssie. One good thing the linear TPS is a lot cheaper from ducati.
    https://www.bike-parts-ducati.com/ducati-motorcycle/assignment_spare_parts/28440021A

9. Thanks guys.

Of course it's cheaper still to keep re-setting it.

It doesn't make sense to me really.
    There can't be any power to the TPS with the ignition off, and it would seem odd that there is any kind of constant measurement of the TPS angle going on whilst the ignition is off, so why removing the constant supply to the ECU when disconnecting the battery has an effect on the TPS measurement I don't know.

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps some internal memory function in the ECU requires a constant supply to remember the setting, but I'd have thought all the constant supply to the ECU would be doing is to run the Immobiliser.
    It's almost as if an internal battery in the ECU has failed, a bit like you used to get on the motherboard of an old desktop PC.

Nasher.

10. There’s a post on the forum where someone took a TPS apart. The potentiometer uses carbon tracks (actually cermet) on a plastic sheet formed into a circle. The photos in the post showed how the tracks had worn causing the TPS to not operate correctly. If I can find the post I will link to it. I have loan ECUs for fault finding if you want to try.

#12 chrisw, Nov 15, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  11. I’m sure the TPS position is stored in flash memory inside ECU. Doesn’t require power to retain info i.e non voltatile. Personally always reset at service but not required. Years ago after purchasing my monster 2004 and during a service the ECU wouldn’t retain the CO settings after switch off. Replaced ECU under warranty and all fine.

12. Just to make this issue even more odd.

Over the weekend, as part of my preparation for putting the 900SL bodywork on the 1000SSie, I was doing some welding on an old Carbie SS headlight/Fairing bracket to add brackets I've replicated from the SSie bracket. So all the 1000SS bits and pieces bolt straight on.

I disconnected and removed the 1000SS instrument panel so I could measure and replicate the three mounting brackets on the Carbie bracket.
    I didn't disconnect the battery whilst the instrument panel was disconnected.
    But afterwards I had to reset the TPS again before the bike would start.

Nasher.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information