1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 1098 Advice

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by mike willis, Jan 14, 2019.

1. I have been offered a 1098 dry bike, not started, ridden or registered.
    I assume it has no fluids at all.
    It has been on display, never seed a road or rain.
    I am thinking of buying it as an investment, absolutely no intention to ride it.
    I am looking for any potential pitfalls, is the fact it's been stood around a problem?
    Would it suffer being stored further?
    I have no idea what it's worth, any answers or opinion gratefully received.
    Thanks in advance

2. Any zero mile bikes I bought I made sure they were serviced and ran up before prepping them to store.
    Check it's had recalls completed - best thing is to pay a bit for someone like @nelly to prep for storage for you and do any recalls if it is still possible - it will add to it's history in a positive way.
    Has it ever been registered?
    If it is abroad, you will have to pay 20% vat on importing if this is the case.
    And if the price is right, buy it as it will be a good investment - just ignore the people who say it's sacrilege not to ride it while themselves investing in ISAS that return 1% PA :):upyeah:

3. The bike would not have been delivered dry so if it is dry now, all the fluids would have been drained. No hydraulic fluid for 10 years means all the seals will be hard but as Exige says even if you don’t want to ride it, the bike needs a proper going over. A base (?) 1098 as an investment ? Sorry, don’t think so. Andy

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. I have a base 4XV R1 with zero miles - I've seen nice ones of the same model with a few thousand miles for a few thousand more £ than I paid :) but of course, it all depends on the price - just don't pay now for what it will be worth in 10 years like some dealers ask :eyes:
    A 350 LC was about £1300 new I think, what would a new one be worth now: £15K or more possibly :thinkingface:
    You need to buy right when the values are at their lowest - which I think they are very close to being with the 1098 models if not already there...

5. I guess we’ll have to differ on this one but as always, happy to be proved wrong. Andy

6. You can't be proved right or wrong if we don't know what he is paying :thinkingface:

7. Thanks, by dry I think they mean fuel and oil.
    I'm sure it left the factory as a fully functioning bike.
    With regard to values, I have a 999 that at one point was down to £2k as a trade in, now they are going up again.
    I understand that if if were to be run again then belts and fluids would be replaced, are there other things that could deteriorate with doing nothing.

8. I don't know what I may be paying either.

9. As little as possible :thinkingface: there was a new 1098S Tricolore recently which was up for circa £10k I think, it was in the USA if I recall correctly and this would have been a better buy, even with vat added on importing.
    Is it in the UK?

10. Thanks for that.
    It is in the UK, I've not seen it yet, 10k would be about all the money.
    Did the one from the states have vat on top plus the shipping?

11. I can't imagine anyone wanting to buy a new 1098 either now or at any point in the future? Obviously they may do as there is nowt as queer as folk! If it were an R of course that would be different.
    Would you not be better served buying something that is useable whilst appreciating? This may of course be something of a movavble feast although I seem to be on top of it (at the moment). Something like a 999S mono for example.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Yes indeed it would have incurred vat and shipping if purchased in the UK...

13. Good point, I don't know if it's an R or an S
    I've got two useable bikes, a 999 and a 1200s multistrada.
    This is for investment purposes, I need to see the bike first.
    Thanks for your comments

14. I have a 1098R which I bought last July for 8700€ and amongst other Ducatis a 999R which I bought in August 2017 for 8450€. These are the kind of things I am referring to. Each of these will have doubled in value whilst in the meantime providing entertainment.

15. Let me find out this model and I'll let you know.
    Thanks for your comments, it all helps build a clearer picture.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Did the 1098s have traction control??

17. You struck gold there:upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Personally, I wouldn't buy it. You can't ever use it.

If you want an investment bike, then buy a nice R model of something or something that you can use. (I have no idea how much this 1098 is, but I assume it comes with a premium)

19. I guess it will come at a premium as it has no miles, quite how much I'm yet to find out.

20. For me, buy what you like and don't worry about the pennies. What price some fun and memories?

• Agree Agree x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information