1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 1098 As A Track Bike Vs Gixxer 750?

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by fewtrees, Jun 2, 2018.

1. So I'm at a crossroads.. I'm torn between keeping a GSXR K7 750 that is almost standard except it has suspension upgrades VS a Ducati 1098s..

There's pros and cons both ways but I've never ridden a 1098s and wondered if they make a good track bike?

Some background..

I ride a 1098 streetfighter on the road so I'm used to the engine and handling so this is a plus.. I've also had a 990 superduke so V-Twins are engines I'm familiar with but..

The GSXR is sat there in the garage but needs a load of work doing to it..

The brakes are poor, the engine needs tuning, new exhaust, power commander etc..

I wonder if it's worth just making the swap as the expense of upgrading the GSXR to the same level as stock 1098s items is going to be similar to just buying the Duc..

What do you think, 1098 any good on track? Worth doing or do I keep the gixxer?

2. Get an 1198 :thinkingface:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I'd rather have a 1098 from a pleasure point of view for track work. I run a 1098R and absolutely love it. But it has whacked me in the wallet a couple of times. A gixxer 750 is an excellent track whore and I'd say cheaper to run if a little less rewarding. But both great bikes for track days.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. A mate has done the switch recently (750 to 1000 to 1098) but rarely comes on here and can’t remember his handle... @DRR117 will know :upyeah:

5. I ran one last year, and it’s ragged stupid even at my slow pace to keep up. Few electrical gremlins and a red oil light that comes one (exactly like the 1000 I had) even tho oil is fine. Nothing scary, no power wheelies (unlike the 1000!)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. The 1098's do that oil light trick too. There's a small diaphragm in the switch that pops, followed by a small oil leak. 25 notes a pop. I always carry spares :upyeah:

7. 1098s is a great track tool but it will cost you. The gixxers are great if you want hassle free ragability. I sold my Ducati track bike as I was fed up with repairing it after every track day, bought a k2 1000 for track work now and other than oil changes and a few suspension tweeks it's been bomb proof. (Touch wood) But saying that there's something special about ragging a Ducati round a race track. Sorry I've not been much help.

8. What negative issues have you had, specifically, with the 1098R? I would be grateful for your input!

9. I had an 1198 last year for the track and absolutely loved it until I changed the oil and there was a big piece of swarf on the sump plug so decided to change it for a s1000rr which is less to worry about mechanicly but not as involving to ride

10. My first issue was the front piston cracked. Which was fixed/replaced under warranty. Probably never ran correctly after that because a couple of oil changes later I found chunks of piston skirt, ring and wiper.
    I had it rebuilt (engine and gearbox) by MotoRapido and it's never missed a beat since. It wasn't cheap (4.5k) but it's still as sweet as a nut. I'll probably go for a rebuild again before it gets to that stage again.

11. Jesus, 4,5K! Ouch!
    Thanks for sharing, was that with regular track use or just the odd few trackdays (I'm considering what to use as a trackday mule)?

12. What kind of tracks and what do you get most enjoyment from: tight and twisty quite physical tracks or sweeping bends and long straights? The 1098 will not do tight and twisty.

13. Mostly Donnington or Oulton.. Prefer twisty stuff to the straights;-)

14. Both are fast circuits tho. 1098 will cost more to run, and it’s likely (it seems) that the gearbox will fail at some point unless you are religious with maintenance and don’t use a QS.

750 will be about lots of revs, lots of gear changes. 1098 you can probably leave in 3rd and only use upper gears and be as quick, so far lazier.

15. Pure track whore. It's an absolutely brilliant bike. Just bought a V4S for track days but want to keep the 1098R as I like it so much. I guess it's an analogue bike these days but in the right hands (not mine btw) it will keep up with anything of today (stock). It's a very fast bike but needs some muscling through the tighter stuff.

Oh, just re read your question. Not that regular. Maybe 3 UK trackdays through the summer and a couple of euro trips during the year :):upyeah:

16. Thanks again, that's about the level of use I would anticipate (but the other way round as I'm on the continent). I already have a few bikes in track trim plus a Speciale on order which will be track only as well. Maybe if I rotate their use I'll get plenty of life out of each of them, I can't be doing with downtime for re-builds!
    Excuse my lack of knowledge but do you know if all the 1098R's have the DTC system? I've read conflicting articles!

17. They do, but it's a bit agricultural by todays standard. Mine used to give me sphincter twitch when it kicked in so I've turned right down to 2, which is almost off!
    Rebuilds aren't a given, mine had about 7500 track miles under it's belt before the rebuild. That's quite a lot for any engine. They're tougher (1098R) than you may be led to believe :upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information