1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 1098 Clutch Replacement Parts Advice

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by MaxRundown, Jul 23, 2020.

1. My recently purchased 1098 needs a new clutch, it isn't slipping however it is a little noisier than it should be and upon inspection the clearance between the lugs on the friction plates and the clutch basket is a little over 1mm (service limit is 0.6mm according to the manual)

the edges of the lugs are peened over slightly and there is slight corresponding wear on the basket. it currently has an open EVR clutch cover and an EVR 'anti clank' pressure plate, springs etc...

I'm going to replace the plates, basket and pressure plate bearing..

before I buy a new basket from Ducati, what quality aftermarket alternatives are recommended? I don't need a slipper clutch and whilst I've seen the 48T EVR basket and plate kit @ £350, I'd like to see what other options are available

Cheers!

2. yeah you do :upyeah:

3. Run it til it's worn out and slipping, my 748 clutch sounds like a pneumatic drill after doing 25K but it still does what it is supposed to do with zero problems. Clutch plates and bSkets will go WAY beyond the tolerances and wear limits that Ducati quote. Why waste your money just because of a bit of noise?

4. I stripped the clutch out today to properly inspect it, the pack height was in spec, as were all of the individual steels and friction plates but the tangs were well worn.

there is a small amount of fretting on the basket from the friction plates, I'm sure it could be re-used with just a fresh set of friction plates but I would not be happy knowing it's like that.

I've ordered a 48t EVR basket and plates kit, I looked at a 12T 7075 alu basket and new friction plates but it wasn't much difference in price.

5. Fitted the sigma performance 48 tooth non slipper with sintered plates to my 1098 several years ago. Great piece of kit. Only recently upgraded my monster clutch to the EVR 48 Tooth Again with sintered plates . So far so good. In terms of difference between the sigma and EVR is the sintered plate tangs. The sigma are trapezoidal and the EVR are semi circular. Have no idea in terms of longevity what difference this makes but achieved 35K on my first set of sigma and now covered 10k on my second set of plates with very little wear on the basket. Hope same for EVR.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information