1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 1098 Gearbox Problem?

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by John1098, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Hi
    Wondering if anyone who knows the 1098 engine (gearbox) can help me
    The bike is a 2009 1098 street fighter
    When out on a ride last week the clutch started making an extremely loud knocking/ banging noise and it then, luckily at very low speed it locked up causing me to drop the bike.

Anyway, when you start the bike the engine ticks over and there is a knocking/banging noise, at first I thought it was from the clutch but you can feel it right through the bike and it's as if the bike it trying to drop into first gear on its own,
    So today I removed all the clutch plates and fired up the engine , the noise has disappeared but when I turn by hand the inner clutch hub that goes through into the gearbox there is a part of the rotation where it feels like 2 of the gears are catching each other and makes quite a Bang inside the gearbox, obviously this is when the bike is in neutral so it should turn freely.

Has anyone seen or heard of this

2. Yes 1098 and 1198 can have weak gearboxes think 2nd and 3rd gears have to be replaced with hardened steal ones. Engine strip down job I'm afraid.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Sounds expensive :(

4. whilst I've not had a Ducati V twin motor part before I've built countless engines over the years, so I'm happy to fix the issue myself if anyone can tell me what's inside the gearbox, what could be causing the issue and what's the best way to get inside it

5. ive never had one apart my self, but i know you have to split the crank cases to get the gear box out.

6. Google is your friend, as its always been known the gearboxes are a bit like chocolate especially if using a quickshifter :)

7. commiserations John, no point in me speculating as little experience with this engine plus could be several things. just been searching on your behalf for engine dismantle threads with clear pictures but no luck so far, it's still good to just read in general as will still help you focus on job ahead*

an 1198 thread but interesting if incomplete :- Ducati 1198 rebuild - workshop manual needed - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

* you have hopefully developed a good Forum approach for sifting through threads by now, the ability to 'swipe left' or 'swipe right' is always difficult but essential.

8. just thought John, is the 'bang' once every crankshaft revolution?

9. Big nut off the end loose???

10. didn't want to be alarmist but exactly.. the chap in above thread found exactly that as the loose cap collided with 'geartrain' at close to BDC.

11. Yes exactly that
    The knock seems to come from exactly the same point in the revelution of the inner hub,

Which big nut are you referring to?

12. I didn't say that, it was Bradders.
    I don't know if you took the time to read through the thread on the Ducati.ms forum that I quoted but the OP (Matt) found that one conrod big endcap had come loose and this was the cause of the knock as it collided with the gear train below each time the crankshaft revolved (even by hand)

13. Is it the alternator nut? Cant remember, but there is a nut behind the cover that is something like 250nm torque that can come undone and make a lot of noise. May be confusing two things :)

14. Sorry I can't see a thread that you've quoted?, probably me being computer illetarate though haha
    I would have thought if the Big end cap bolt had come loose then it would collide when the crank was turning rather than the gearbox Input shaft or am I mistaken?
    Having said that it does make a hell of a clatter with the engine running but the fact that it knocks when I turn the gearbox input shaft is what throws me off

15. Found it now

16. Does anyone have a link to a service manual that includes gearbox removal. There is a guy selling them for £1.70 on eBay and it states that it included gearbox removal but I don't have time to wait for the disc to get delivered

17. I have a multi one, almost the same, if any use drop me a line with your email and I'll dropbox it

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Jeez! :eek:

19. Did you find out what was causing the knock @John1098 ?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information