1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 1098 Obd Adventures

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Mike600F, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Afternoon ladies and gents.

A few days ago I started down the route of trying to get my phone to talk to my 1098, so I could reset TPS / reset service clock after doing it etc. It's been a ball ache to say the least, and it's still not working.

Hoping I'll solve the problem in time, and this will be useful to anyone else trying to do the same.

Looking online it looked easy; buy a few bits form ebay, plug in, download an app and you'll be away.
    I went with the following at a total cost of about £24
    fiatOBDcable.jpg
    Fig 1. OBD2 to Fiat 3-pin adapter lead.
    BluetoothOBD.jpg
    Fig 2 - OBD2 to bluetooth adapter.

The first (Fig1) to plug into the bike, an OBD2-to-Fiat 3 pin cable (what online wisdom suggests is the correct connector). And the second (Fig 2) is an OBD2-to-bluetooth adapter.

After rooting around in the loom (my 1098 engine is in a 996, so things aren't where you'd expect), I hit the first problem: The Fiat 3 pin is most definitely not the correct cable:
    Fiat 3 pin.jpg
    Fig 3 - (Not my image, but identical to what I experienced) Top; the connector on the 1098, bottom: the Fiat 3-pin connector.

So; the connectors don't mate properly and the pins on the bought cable are far too big to fit in the Ducati connector. Interestingly, the Ducati connector has three pin in the connector, but only two wires running to it. This got me curious and I looked up the wiring for the Fiat 3-pin connector.

From left to right in the above image (Bottom of Fig 3, let's say pin 1,2,3) they are labelled as follows:
    FIAT 3-pin wiring (looked up online):
    1: K (Brown wire)
    2: Gnd (Black wire)
    3: L (Red wire)

This didn't mean much to me past the 'Gnd', which was obviously the 0v or ground line. But reading online suggests the OBD2 uses a communication protocol called RS232 (which we use a lot at work). RS232 requires a minimum of three channels to work: Gnd, Tx (transmit) and Rx (receive) lines. Makes sense that the K, and L lines would be the Tx and Rx lines then. So far so good.

Problem is, the Ducati plug only has two cables (The connector is a 'Superseal' type btw. Available from 12vplanet if you want one - I did!). So, as seen in Fig 3, from left to right on the top connector:
    Ducati Superseal connector wiring;
    1: Wired
    2: Wired (Gnd) - (I worked out it was a Gnd line with a multimeter)
    3: NOT connected

These should connect (if the bloody Fiat 3-pin would actually fit) like this:
    Fiat 3 Pin (*) 1098
    1: K (brown) ----------------------- 1: Wired
    2: Gnd (black)---------------------- 2: Wired; Gnd
    3: L (red)--------------------------- 3: NOT Connected

This is where the problem lies; one of the REQUIRED comms lines isn't connected, so it's never going to work.

Undeterred, I fished a spare superseal kit out of my toolbox and decided to 'modify' the 3-pin end of the Fiat 3-pin cable to make it fit the Ducati's superseal one.
    I used a multimeter to 'buzz out' the purchased cable and make a wiring diagram, and then cut the 3-pin fiat connector off. Fitting superseal pins (not the full connector) to the bare wires then allowed any and all combinations to be tested, but I started with the wiring in (*). To be honest I wasn't expecting it to work because of pin 3 not connecting to anything on the bike, but trusted the instructions provided and plugged it in with my fingers crossed...

It didn't work.

I downloaded and tested with a few different apps at this point, hoping it was just a bug or somehting. I tried:
    Torque (lite)
    OBD Auto Doctor
    MotorData OBD

All of the apps successfully connected to the bluetooth adapter, but none of them managed to communicate with the ECU.

I then ate a consolation hobnob and considered the options:

The problem seemed to be with the Ducati not having enough pins for it to work, but they're not idiots and dealerships clearly manage to plug in, so my attention was firmly on the cable (Fig 1), as wrong. After all, it doesn't fit properly, so why should it have worked when I modified it to fit?

SO....
    Since the cable has power leads to the battery (how the bluetooth bit is powered), it's possible that the whatever tool Ducati use has the same system and the Gnd that the RS232 protocol need is the -'ve terminal on the battery. This would mean that the two wired connections on the Ducati's superseal connector are the communications lines (Rx/Tx), that the RS232 protocol requires.

Made sense. BUT, pin 2 on the Ducati superseal connector buzzed as connected (with a multimeter) to the battery, meaning it's probably a ground line....

I thought about it; would a communications line be connected to the Gnd (through a circuit, etc) to such a point that it would buzz as connected with a multimeter, but was in fact still a comms line?
    I phoned an electrical engineering colleague. He said he wouldn't expect it to buzz, but couldn't rule it out. I spent a few hours worrying how much a fix would cost me if I plugged it in an shorted something. Then I gave it a go anyway.

It still didn't work.

I tried the following:
    Fiat 3-pin end (cut off and bodged) 1098
    1: K (brown) -------------------------------- 1: Connected
    2: Gnd (black) |--------------2: Connected (suspected Gnd)
    3 L (red) ----------------------| 3: NOT connected to bike

Then I tried again with the brown and red wires crossed (transmit and receive have to the correct way round for RS232 to work). Then I tried starting the bike to make sure I hadn't shorted anything. All was well.

I was pretty pissed off with the whole thing not working though.

=================CONNECTING THE APPS =======================
    Just to be clear, the apps suggest there is a very specific order things must be done in. Which I've adhered to with all the testing done.
    1: Connect phone to OBD bluetooth device
    2: Open app and select OBD bluetooth device for app to work with
    3: turn on ignition and it should connect
    =======================================================

Stage 2:
    Having vented my frustration with gin, and a re-watch of the 1981 film Das Boot (epic if you've not seen it), I decided to have another go. Research online showed more modern bike like the Panigali connect through a 4-pin connecter that looks like this:
    DUcati 4 pin connector.jpg
    Fig 4 - the Ducati 4 pin connector. (again, not my image, but the connector is identical, so who give a f**k).

I'd noticed this connector on my 1098 wiring loom and decided it was worth a punt, so I ordered the connecting cable:
    4pin OBD.jpg
    Fig 5 - The Ducati 4-pin to OBD convertor cable I ordered.

I was full of optimism, convinced it would plug straight in and all would be well.

Again, disappointment. No connection to the ECU with any of the apps.

This brings us up to date. I hope it's useful so far, and if you're wise at all I could use your wisdom with the following questions:

1) Why does the 1098 loom have both a superseal ("Fiat 3-pin") port and a more modern 4-pin Ducati connector. What are they each for? A) The 3-pin is the correct port, and it is meant to have only 2 wires. The 4-pin port is specific to the 'S' version of the engine for data-logging.
    2) Does everyone else have only 2 wires on the Superseal connector on the bike's loom? A) Yes, 2 wires is normal.
    3) Which connector is the correct one? A) the 3-pin with only 2-wires is the correct port.
    You need this adapter for it https://www.lonelec.co.uk/Motorbike...ectors/Guzzi-Ducati-Aprilia-3pin-OBD2-Adaptor
    This is also a good BT-adapter. Lonelec also have one https://www.lonelec.co.uk/Car-Diagnostic-Code-Readers/Bluetooth-OBD2-ELM327-BlueScanII

4) What am I doing wrong? Currently totally out of ideas on what to try next!

======== copied from later post for convenience ==========

Okay, a bit of an update.
    The cables arrived - Perfect fit Chris, thanks again for the recommendation!

Unfortunately, still no luck. The new Bluetooth adapter (bought an alternate to rule it out as the fault) does have traffic lights for data over bluetooth and to the ECU - quite useful diagnostically. Shows traffic to and from on both sides:
    Phone <==> Adaptor <==> ECU
    so, it's talking - it's just not understanding.

I've tried 4 apps with it, and none of them work (ScanM5X, Torque (lite), OBD Auto Doctor and MotorData OBD). The last in the list does give a readout as it tries to connect with the following:
    [15:51:02 233] Connection established.
    [15:51:03 082] Connection to the interface established
    [15:51:03 083] Controller: ELM27
    [15:51:03 139] Interface type: OBDII to RS232 interpreter
    [15:51:03 230] Interface version: ELM27 v1.5
    [15:51:03 265] Supply voltage: 13.1V
    [15:51:03 289] Establishing connection to the ECU...
    [15:51:05 231] ID ECU #1-10 <--> Protocol: Unknown
    [15:51:05 239] Connection not established.

So looks like a Protocol issue - but i thought the whole point of the OBD system was that everything is the same, so that seems like a wild goose chase?

Next move was to order a OBD11 --> USB cable and try to plug in the laptop and see if that works. Maybe it's a android issue... will rule it out if nothing else. Cable is in the post - will keep updated.

Mike. ;)

#1 Mike600F, Jun 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Curious where you got your 3 pin cable? Mine fits my 848. The connector has the vertical plastic piece between pins 2 and 3 as well.

3. Connector was an amazon job. Can confirm it also has the plastic divider between pins 1 and 2. Exactly as this photo (see bottom right of image):

3pin close up.jpg

4. It might be worth grabbing the fiat to usb cable. This way you can connect it to a laptop with ducatidiag. It might not directly help your cable woe but it should mean that you can rule out the bluetooth connector as faulty.

I mucked around for ages with similar symptoms (connect to bluetooth but not the bike via app) despite correct wires until I gave up and plugged it into a laptop.

5. Thought has crossed my mind tbh.

The big draw of the to-the-phone system, is that you can keep the phone in your pocket while riding, and log data while riding. HUGE advantage over plugging into a laptop. Ducatidiag does get good reviews by people online though; it's the current fallback position.
    Really don't like giving up though. This should be beatable.

6. Be really careful or you will fuck the ECU. The 3 pin male connector is wrong. You would be better buying the Fiat Adaptor from www.lonelec.com.
    The four way connector you have found is not a diagnostic port. It is for the Ducati Data System to get telemetry off the bike. Connecting directly to this using the Panigale connector will power up the bike. Don't do it.
    As you have found the data port only has two wires to the 3 way Superseal connector. What would be the middle connector is earth. The outer connector is the K-Line. The L-Line is not used.

7. GuzziKitCombo_2_800x800-500x500.jpg

Thanks for the reply. Would you be meaning this kit? It's just the Fiat adapter looks identical, so I'm hesitant.
    Presumably, you think the cables/Bluetooth unit I've got are causing the connection problem? Quality/BT/whatever?

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Massively appreciate the help Chris, ordered!
    Fingers crossed it's plain sailing from here.

9. Do you have an Android phone?
    Scanm5x is free
    TuneECU (Android) is £10.49
    Both work with Bluetooth

• Like Like x 1
  10. Yes I do. Already got ScanM5x, Torque (lite), OBD auto doctor and motorData OBD.
    Thought it was best to have plenty to test with.

11. Hi,

I’ve just gone through the same process to reset the service light on my 1098s.

I bought this kit on eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUCATI-D...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I believe it’s the same as most others out there. This kit came with a software disc. However, my newer PC doesn’t have a disc drive, so I downloaded the software and driver from here:

Driver - https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
    Software - https://jpdiag.akress.com/

When you get it all downloaded, go into your devices and check which com port the programme and driver wants to use. Mine chose 3. It’s good to know as you need to enter the com port value when you connect.

The programme has a “cable test” feature shown in the top left tab. Worth using before you connect to your ECU. Connect everything including the battery leads, apart from the last connection to the ECU and run the test.

It should show that it’s happy.

Disconnect from the ECU, ignition on, reconnect to ECU and connect.
    You’ll see a “copy” icon - click that, and it’ll open up a window to email your bikes details to retrieve the key. Pop in your email and bike model and send. It took about an hour to get the license back. Copy and paste that licence file into the programme file in youR c drive

Connect back up and you’re good to go!

12. Just to agree with what Chris says. I got the bits he mentioned and it works fine (using Scan M5x) on my 1198S. One good tip from Chris - connect the =ve lead to thebattery first, then the negative to a convenient point on the chassis. Reduces the risk of b***ering the ECU!

13. Okay, a bit of an update.
    The cables arrived - Perfect fit Chris, thanks again for the recommendation!

Unfortunately, still no luck. The new Bluetooth adapter (bought an alternate to rule it out as the fault) does have traffic lights for data over bluetooth and to the ECU - quite useful diagnostically. Shows traffic to and from on both sides:
    Phone <==> Adaptor <==> ECU
    so, it's talking - it's just not understanding.

I've tried 4 apps with it, and none of them work (ScanM5X, Torque (lite), OBD Auto Doctor and MotorData OBD). The last in the list does give a readout as it tries to connect with the following:
    [15:51:02 233] Connection established.
    [15:51:03 082] Connection to the interface established
    [15:51:03 083] Controller: ELM27
    [15:51:03 139] Interface type: OBDII to RS232 interpreter
    [15:51:03 230] Interface version: ELM27 v1.5
    [15:51:03 265] Supply voltage: 13.1V
    [15:51:03 289] Establishing connection to the ECU...
    [15:51:05 231] ID ECU #1-10 <--> Protocol: Unknown
    [15:51:05 239] Connection not established.

So looks like a Protocol issue - but i thought the whole point of the OBD system was that everything is the same, so that seems like a wild goose chase?

Next move was to order a OBD11 --> USB cable and try to plug in the laptop and see if that works. Maybe it's a android issue... will rule it out if nothing else.

[Will also copy this to original post for anyone seeing this post in the future]

14. Hi

It's quite a while since I used the Scan M5X app "for the first time" but your post does ring a bell. I think I had to actually select Bluetooth manually from the Settings -> Options facility. It all connected fine after I'd done that. I remember being confused at the time as it was all supposed to happen automatically...

Do you have (or have access to) a copy of The Red Baron's Ultimate Ducati Desmo Manual? There is a section in there that describes how to use the Scan M5X app, including the manual selection of Bluetooth bit.

BTW - I think you'll only have to do this once - I usedmy setup a couple of weeks ago and it"just worked".

15. More disappointment...

Finally got around to testing the OBDII to usb cable I bought (rule out phone/bluetooth issues), No luck. Connects to whatever's in the box on the cable but can't connect to the ECU for some reason. The result is the same on every platform/device combination. Tried it with OBD Auto Doctor (did look for DucatiDiag, but couldn't find anything that would install on windows 10??)

Now suspect it's something wrong with the bike. Does anyone have any ideas on how to test this?

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Have you told ducatidiag the correct port to use?
    Sorry just reread the post. There is defo a version for win10 will look for a link later.

17. I got mine from here https://jpdiag.akress.com/
    You may need to run it as administrator/compatability mode

Do Not Sell My Personal Information