1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 1098 Side Stand On A 996

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by sam996S, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Just in case someone wants to know...

My old side stand was knackered. Bruised and battered after two bike-knocked-or-fallen-over incidents, and I guess nearly 20 years of service. I was scared to leave my bike parked on the stand as it was leaning over so far, a light breeze would have knocked it over again.

After a lot of thinking about what best to do to replace the old stand. I decided to take a punt and order a replacement - but from a later model bike. In this case I ordered a 1098 stand.

996S stand part number: 556.1.013.2A (55610132A)
    1098 stand part number: 556.3.042.2A (55630422A)

Here is what I found:
    1. It is a straight swap. All pivot bolts, springs and mounting points are exactly the same
    2. The later model stand is marginally longer
    3. The later model stand has a much larger footprint
    4. The bike stands more upright and feels infinitely more secure.

IMG_0366.jpg IMG_0365.jpg

• Useful Useful x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  2. I’ve done this to my 748s and 998 a few years ago and it stands way better

• Like Like x 1
  3. How much did it come to?

4. Yup, did mine as part of my winter upgrades! Got mine off a race bike so it’s hardly been used :upyeah:

8DE47147-C3AF-4D01-B19B-A3BCAF2BF314.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  5. Not sure off the top of my head, about £130.

6. Do you know if the 1098 mounting bracket will also bolt straight on the 996??

7. I picked up a 1198 sidestand for $20 a few weeks ago and the difference is amazing. The only difference in appearance is that it is black rather than silver but the extra length is much beter and takes weight of the stand mount

• Like Like x 1
  8. I don’t know for sure, but I believe it will.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Yes it will :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. 100% straight swap. Even the neutral safety switch is a perfect fit

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. I fitted one to my 998 and it made feck all difference.

12. maybe you had some play in the 998 replacement and no play in the original unit? A straight swap makes the bike more upright normally but if rear ride height much higher than stock then bike will still lean too much when on stand.

• Useful Useful x 2
  13. I think that's the problem Chris.

14. I want to make a point so other readers are not confused - this is not replacing a good condition 996 stand with an aftermarket alternative. My original stand was in a bad way and could not hold my bike up at a safe angle. Suffice to say the original stand had reached the end of its service life. So I needed a new one. The 1098 stand, compared to a bruised and battered 996S OEM stand, was substantially better.
    Now with the new stand fitted: I kick the new stand into position. As I let the bike fall gently to the left, onto the stand, it moves just a few inches. Leaving the bike in a much more upright position on a much larger foot pad. Anyone needing to replace their old stand, I guess as long as their ride height isn't adjusted too high, will do well to consider a 1098 generation stand.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Ive just ordered the streetfighter 1098 stand, only place I could get one was the usa, Going fit it to my 888, will update and say how I get on but could be a few weeks before it arrives, also have some info to share but will hold out for now on that one

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. ??

17. Want to get my money back first :bucktooth:But just so you know it's regarding a certain well known ebay seller. Will see how I get on but getting money back shouldn't be a problem. :upyeah:

18. Good luck

19. Lol all I will say is don't buy the 1098 side stand he has for sale. It's the one with the 996 side stand part number stamped on it :mad: yep I should have known better but I took the gamble. Was the only so called 1098 stand on eBay He also asked me to buy outside of ebay to get it cheaper. Bank trans or PayPal. I went PayPal but bought it as goods. Not that stupid to gift him :eek: I bought a nice Ducati leather wallet the same day through ebay of him. It's arrived but I'm going to sell it on because it's smaller than I was looking for. Its the size that would hold service books etc

Do Not Sell My Personal Information