1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 1098 Tyre Pressure

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by andygtt, Mar 15, 2018.

1. So having not ridden in 5 years I went out and got myself a mint 1098 with a few modifications.... the ride home was scary as hell and i felt like i wasn't in control of the bike and I was frankly dangerous. It knocked my confidence badly so i booked myself in for some born again training...

Did the training, turns out I was perfectly fine even rode my old zx7r down there and used it (got it on the road to try and get my confidence back) cue more head scratching as to why i was so terrible on the Ducati as I never found my old 916 a worry.

Anyhow Ive not riden the 1098 since due to weather and on checking my tyre pressures tonight I found the front is 11psi and rear is 20psi which I guess might have been a factor... didn't think to check them for the ride home when i bought it.

So what tyre pressures should I run? I put 40-45psi in the zx7r?

2. Yep, 11psi will give you a fright alright. o_O

From the manual....
    Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 20.52.36.png

2.1bar = 30.5psi
    2.2bar = 32psi

Oh, nice choice of bike btw. Get some pics up once you've composed yourself. :) :upyeah:

3. At this time of year and riding steady (5years off..) probably 38 rear and 36 front.

In warmer weather when your getting heat in them maybe drop that down a few psi.

You dont say what the tyres are though and that will make a difference.

4. I seem to remember I was told 36R 33F on the 848 .... does that sound right? o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. maybe, its sort of between 11psi and 45psi :scream:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Is that the quoted numbers for the 1098. Not doubting it, just sounds lower than I am used to. Sounds like trackday tyre pressures? Anyone know what the standard tyre was on the 1098?:thinkingface:

7. You'll get a lot of opinions on what tire pressure to run, but the correct tire pressure for you is not a matter of polling other rider's opinion. Here are the basics you'll need to decide for yourself.

Start with the BIKE (not the tire *see below) manufacturer's recommendation in the owners manual or under-seat sticker. This is the number they consider to be the best balance between handling, grip and tire wear. Further, if you're running alloy wheels on poor pavement, consider adding 2 psi to the recommended tire pressure just to reduce the likelihood of pothole damage. Just as you would for a car, increase the pressure 2 psi or so for sustained high speed operation (or 2-up riding) to reduce rolling friction and casing flexing. Check your tire pressure regularly, as they say.

In order to get optimum handling a tire has to get to its optimum temperature which is different for each brand of tire. Unless you own a tire pyrometer that will measure tire temperature directly, you’ll need to measure it indirectly by checking tire pressure since tire pressure increases with tire temperature. Tire temperature is important to know because too much flexing of the casing of an under-inflated tire for a given riding style and road will result in overheating resulting in less than optimum grip. Over-pressurizing a tire will reduce casing flexing and prevent the tire from getting up to the optimum operating temperature and performance again suffers. Sliding and spinning the tires also increase tire temperatures from friction heating.

A technique for those wanting to get the most out of their tires on the street is to use the 10/20% rule.

First check the tire pressure when the tire is cold. Then take a ride on your favorite twisty piece of road. Then, measure the tire pressure immediately after stopping. If the pressure has risen less than 10% on the front or 20% on the rear, the rider should remove air from the tire. So for example, starting at a front tire pressure of 32.5 psi should bring you up to 36 psi hot. Once you obtain this pressure increase for a given rider, bike, tire, road and road temperature combination, check the tire pressure again while cold and record it for future reference.

Each manufacturer is different. Each tire model is different. A tire design that runs cooler needs to run a lower pressure (2-3 psi front) to get up to optimum temperature. The rear tire runs hotter than the front tire, road and track. So the rear tire cold-to-hot increase is greater. Dropping air pressure has the additional side effect of scrubbing more rubber area.

When I used the tire pressures recommended by Ducati (32.5F/36R) for my 916 on my favorite road, I got exactly 10/20% on a set of Bridgestone BT-012SS. So I guess I'm an average rider and the BT-012SS runs at an average operating temperature compared to other brands.

For the track you'll have to drop the cold tire pressures an additional 10/20%. Track operation will get tires hotter (increasing the cold-to-hot pressure range) so starting at say 32/30 psi now should bring you up to the same temperature (and pressure) that 35/39 psi gave you for the street. Don't even think about running these low track cold pressures on the street.

Finally, dropping tire pressures on street tires for track use has its limitations, so street compound tires on the track often get too hot and go beyond sticky to greasy. That's why you have race tires. Race tire compounds are designed for severe operation at these higher temperatures for a limited number of thermal cycles. On the other hand, a race tire on the street usually won't get up to the appropriate temperature for good performance. At street speeds, the race compound often won't perform as well as a street tire.

Finally, a tire that is inflated to a lower pressure than recommended will have a tire profile that will sag slightly in the middle. This sagging profile results in increased rolling friction and causes the tires to run hotter. This will reduce tire life but it will also increase tire traction or grip. Depending upon racing conditions and the overall setup of the bike the increased grip may be necessary to be competitive even at the cost of tire life.

* Tire Manufacturer's Recommendations

Japanese sportbikes seem to have an extra 4-6 psi specified for their tires, compared to the equivalent Ducati. Why?

A tire manufacturer will recommend a pressure that is a balance between tire life and grip. When a bike manufacturer is developing a new model their test riders will determine what pressures in their opinion, best suit the new model. The recommended pressures are the best for general street (not track) riding, so you can increase grip somewhat by reducing pressures.

But to answer the question about higher recommended tire pressures for Japanese in-line fours versus Ducati twins - in-line fours heat up their tires more than a twin so a higher starting pressure is needed to prevent overheating the tires, particularly the rear tire.

Years ago, superbike racers discovered that it was easier to modulate the power to prevent wheelspin on the Ducati V-twins than it was to do the same on the Japanese inline-fours. This is because there is a longer interval (in terms of both time and crankshaft rotation) between cylinders firing, which gives the rear tire a "break" - time to recover traction and match its speed to that of the motorcycle.

More recently, more sophisticated traction control systems have been tried to reduce tire temperatures, improve tire life and lap times.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Yep, from the owners manual.
    Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 21.11.17.png

Confirmed in the workshop manual.
    Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 21.10.59.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 21.11.08.png

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. ^^^^^I so stole that of the internet^^^^^^

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  10. Interesting stuff. So how to interpret this tyre, was on the first day in Germany last year, very hot day with 'good' roads in Eifel Park area. Only had 200miles on it at this point. Thought I could feel its sliding and backed off a bit..maybe it was working as it should?
    Conti..jpg

11. ..and me thinking you had spent at least 30minutes of your own time educating uso_Oo_O

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Just checked, tyres are both Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2

So sounds like 38 rear and 36 front is a better place to start than what i have now :)

This is the offending beast

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. I'd be running 32/35 this time of year.

14. topped up mine on the way to work this morning. feeling was horrible. F29 R20 . topped it up to F36 R32 and like riding different bike! should be checking mire often that once every 4 moths really...

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information