1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 - Won’t Start

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by RickyX, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Just replaced the sprag clutch on my 1098R.

Went to start it today after topping up the coolant and it won’t start.
    It started fine on Sunday after I reassembled it.

It is exhibiting the exact same symptoms that drove me to the expense and hassle of changing the sprag clutch!
    Those being:
    It turns over but then “disengages” from driving the engine with a sort “berrrr-ging” noise. Repeated pressing on starter repeat this with occasional catching of the engine but ultimately no start up.

Now and again, the orange engine light will come on.

On occasion also, screen shows “SW 0009” error code, but only sometimes.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ffffffffuckin thing!

2. SW errors tend to be down to low battery or poor earthing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Starter motor slipping mate?? They get full of dust.

4. low battery poor earth its looking cold out you have started it then switched it off been playing with the ign on then off on then off and flooded it.

charge the battery, clean the earth cable and battery connections and ideally clean and dry the spark plugs. ( you could try heating the top of the cylinder heads area ) but take the plugs out.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Noticed the battery that it came with is some brand I have never heard of (why skimp on shit stuff on a bike that needs a battery with good cranking power?)....taken a proper newish Yuasa one out of my track bike - that is now on the Optimate to make sure it is fully charged.
    Will try it again tomorrow with the better quality battery.
    Eeee...it is cold, mind!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. I have previously posted about my woes when I 1st bought my R. It wouldn't start for love nor money. I almost broke the bike as I was sick of the thing. Anyway, I noticed the 1098R had a 14A battery as standard over the usual 12A battery of the 1098. I changed the battery for an 18A LiPo one (tin hat on o_O) and a set of @Exige 's starter cables and it goes every time now. My problem was that the starter circuit was taking so much from the battery to crank the bike, the coils weren't firing and the bike flooded. It cost me a sprag clutch to find this out, due to keep trying to start it. :(

It has sat for months lately and fired 1st time last weekend, as posted. If the battery isn't tip top this could be your problem. There is a knack to starting mine when it is cold as it's basically a race bike with a custom map, but once you know the trick, it's cushty. :innocent:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. use er indoors hairdryer to warm around the cylinder heads...

8. Give ya 690 quid for it and take the problem off your hands.
    Lol

9. Started.

Heated the head area (and garage) with a fan heater directed at the engine for a couple of hours,
    Charged the Yuasa proper battery and installed it
    Cleaned all the terminals with emery paper
    Slaved in an extra earth cable (temporarily as it’s not an exact fit [sic] and is a bit long)

Ran up to temp, coolant level all pukka.

Hopefully sorted now.

Thanks for all advice and comments as usual.

• Like Like x 7
  10. It’s mad that, with the technological advances we have, a less than great battery can still f*ck stuff up

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. The 1098R seems really suseptible to a less than perfect battery, in my experience.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I suppose she just llkes to be pampered...rose petals on the bed and all that....tickle her in all the right places...
    If you don’t treat her absolutely right, she won’t play.

#12 RickyX, Dec 16, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Hey soy boy!

Just tell her how it is and give her what for. They like that better.

14. You don't do that with a 1098R. o_O She'll slash all your clothes and cut your balls off in your sleep. :cold_sweat:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. You say all that like it's a bad thing!

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. No worse than an old SPS, or try a Daytona 675 without a 100% perfect battery.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. @bradders I was thinking exactly the same - my 916SPS bitsa was similarly choosy on whether or not she would start!

18. Mine was like it hot, cold or wet.

19. My 1198 was a pig to start but I've just had the cams dialled in and it's so much better.

20. What is it with the 1098R and batteries? ... Thought I'd run mine to work on Friday and the fecking battery seems to have run out of juice... I only used it a month ago and the lithium battery is only a year old... no alarm or tracker even fitted.. :(..

Do Not Sell My Personal Information