1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 1098 Wont Start, Dash Flashing And Lots Of Clicking

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by exuppower, Dec 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Hi Folks,

Firstly hi to everyone, brand new here! Unfortunatley my first post is not good though...my 1098 wouldnt start after being out in heavy rain the other day...the dash would light up and it would just make one click when i tried to start it,...i stayed trying to start it but gave up after a while and tried again the following day but it wouldnt work..,...tried charging it for afew hours.,...wouldnt work.. tried running down a hill to jumpstart it...wouldnt work! I then jump started it off my car!! it worked! perfect! drove it half a km up the road and she just died!! Tried jump start it off the car again..it would start the bike but as soon as i would disconnect the leads, the bike would die! I found that by keeping her revved up and then disconnecting the jump lead, the bike stayed alive and i got her back home this way!. Tried charge her for two days, came out to start her tonight...was the same as before.,...dash on and click.... but then amin later the dash was flashign on and off, fast repetitive cicking from around the battery! dont know whats going on...gone from bad to worse!!! Was fidgeting near the cables at battery at time so wonder did i make it worse!? ANyone have any idea of what the prob is?? I tried attach a vid here but it wont allow me?

2. Hi Exuppower and welcome to the Forum. You’d better introduce yourself in the Newbies section but let’s get this sorted for you first.

IMO it’s the battery. Get a new one.

The symptoms you describe or that of a battery with insufficient juice to turn over the engine. I also suspect the battery is f**ked and not holding a charge. I would get a new battery and start from there.

Keep us posted.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. As said above, get a new battery mate.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I think the clue is definitely in the rain unfortunately. I’m sure the battery could be a factor but if a new one makes no difference then I would be looking at trying to dry things out or searching for moisture in all ignition related connectors plus “dashboard” instrument. Moisture in starter solenoid and regulator connectors (Both near the battery) also come to mind when you describe the constant clicking and also the flashing dashboard.

#4 Chris, Dec 10, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Battery cable earth strap to engine is worth checking as these get vey corroded due to their location.

6. Change relays
    Check alt, reg rec connectors

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Welcome Dave and introduce yourself properly in the newbies section too :)

PS methinks its the battery too.

8. hi I couldn’t see that yesterday .. where or what does that look like? While I had been fooling around starting the bike on side of road the battery fell out the side so wonder could it have disconnected? I don’t think the battery being weak would cause the constant clicking and dash flash ...I could be wrong though??? Wouldn’t be the most technical minded ...

9. You definitely need to check all the large, starter and earth connections from the battery, it's common for the battery to fall out when fairing removed due to poor design of the battery restraining bracket, (locating "tongue" is too short) a popular fix is to drill a hole in it and attach a tie-wrap.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. What's the voltage across the battery terminals?

11. Dash flash sounds like a regulator issue to me but that doesn’t usually stop the bike starting in my experience, (having replaced two of them on my 1098) so I’d guess battery not holding charge too.

12. Welcome @exuppower where abouts are you ? If your around Dublin anytime Robbie in mototecnica is spot on my 1098 is there at the minute being recommissioned after 9 years idle ! He's a good guy

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. and if you need a front sprocket removed in a jiffy then West Cork Paul on here is yer man. :upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. I don’t want to derail the thread Skitz but where did you find a 1098 that’s been standing for 9 years ? Lucky upu:upyeah:

15. It most definitely would. As soon as you press the start button all available power goes to the starter thus there’s insufficient power to keep the dash fully lit up.
    Ignition on.
    The dash lights up.
    Starter pressed.
    Starter relay clicks into position
    Insufficient juice to keep dash lit AND fire the starter motor, let alone charge the coils.
    Starter relay unclicks
    Dash delights.
    Repeat & repeat
    Or something along those lines.

Before looking at anything else change the battery. The fact you mentioned in an earlier post you charged it for 2 days and it still wouldn’t start, coupled with the fact that when you started the bike off another battery it ran for a short while and then died indicates your battery is FUBAR - possibly caused by the rain or it falling out (if it’s lead acid you have checked it has enough electrolyte in it and your charger hasn’t boiled it dry haven’t you?).

Start eith the battery and connections from there before worrying about the rectifier.

If you’re anywhere near West Cork (which as you know, but many on here won’t is expansive and should be Ireland’s 33rd county:)) then PM me and I’ll come and help.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Sorry it’s late.
    Starter relay should read relay that passes the electric to the coils. There’s insufficient juice in the battery to fire the coils up.

17. Cork ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. The bike was imported from Qatar in 2010 then never registered in the people's republic of cork till now !!

• Like Like x 2
  19. It’s amazing what people keep hidden away. Well done, good find:upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1

20. well i mean she is flickering and making the heavy clicking as soon as i turn the key to on....its not even getting as far as you say.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information