1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 Wont Start

Discussion in 'Streetfighter' started by jimbob50, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Went to start it this morning, all i,m getting is the yellow management light on in the cluster,wont spin over, no neutral light etc, its been stood for a month while i,ve been away with work, had a new battery about 6 mth ago so doubt its that,Any ideas gents, or am i looking at getting my pants pulled down by a dealer

2. have you got a meter just to check battery?

3. Yeah, got 12.4 on battery, scrolling through das its showing ERROR 38,0 CAN

4. Its getting stranger, the dash doesnt light up evry time i turn the ignition on, can hear fuel pump prime every time though

5. Cheers for that, i,ve checked the fuses and replaced them, their fine, i,m now getting immo 37.1 when i scroll through dash

6. I suspect fuses are made from an aluminium alloy.
    Aluminium oxidises and forms a layer and that layer seems to inhibit electrical contact.
    The fuseholder also does something similar, so fuses can look intact but are not actually conducting properly. The solution is to spray with contact cleaner and give them a really good wiggle.
    Fuses also need to be dead flat. Any twist in the blades will mean only the edges are making contact.
    Relays are electro mechanical and need to be replaced on a regular basis as they get sticky and can seize.

7. I,ve put a test light across the terminals on the back of the fuse box and im seeing a live on both sides of all the fuses, the 37.1 code has gone off, all i,m getting is the 38,

• Like Like x 1
  8. Error 38.0 can be down to poor earthing. Check the condition of the small earth fly lead that goes under one of the ECU bolts. Give it a good clean with an abrasive paper. If that does not work. Remove the ECU and separate it from the heat sink (you will need a torx bit). Clean the back of the ECU and the heat sink with abrasive paper. Don't forget to refit the earth fly lead under the bolt.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I,ve cleaned the the earth and heat sink and its still the same.

10. OK. Try replacing fuse 6 - 5amp. It powers the ECU.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I,ve replaced all the fuses, and checked the back of the fuse box current

12. As said, try sliding that fuse out and back in several times.
    It’s possible there’s a good enough connection to power a small lamp but not good enough to power the ecu

13. Have you replaced the fuses with new ones or just taken out and put back in?

14. Put new ones in mate

15. I would charge the battery before trying anything further.

16. Did your relays get replaced as well as the fuses??

17. I havent changed the relays?

18. Has it ever had the Can bus lead plugged in to ecu recently? Ie the wrong way around to fry the earth on the ecu? I ask coz I did this to mine, with similar errors. Simply leaving the lead on, with correct polarity, solved this issue for me. I guess the earthg on the lead became my new ecu earth.

When i removed lead I got similar errors. Which told me i fucked up when I was installing them. Oh well, bike was fine with perm attached ecu plu in.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information