1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 1098r Advice

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Richard R, Mar 28, 2018.

1. I have heard a whisper of a 1098r coming up for sale, very low mileage (1700)... But has been modified to a high specification, including Desmocedi forks and trick brakes (not sure exactly what they are). I have seen the bike, but it looked like it had had a hard life, and was sporting track fairings. The owner has the stock parts (excluding forks), and it has an Arrows exhaust system. Any ideas on how the forks effect the value? Apparently the previous owner has £40k in it after all the upgrades!

Also, are the S forks same as the R? I would concider selling the Desmocedi ones and getting it back to standard.

What do you all think?

2. I think you should let me take a look at it before you make a decision!

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Any pictures and the price would help to guide you:thinkingface:

4. Too late, it's in my kitchen :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. @RickyX recently purchased a similar spec bike and would be able to offer value advice better than most considering his recent deal - but whether to change it back to standard is purely a personal decision (as well a a financial one). You need Akro's or Termi's on these to be respectable :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ohlins forks are the same on the 1098S & 1098R. Only the rear shock differs.

I wouldn't have thought having D166RR forks in the bike would negatively affect the value, unless for the absolute purist. You can get a 30mm kit for the standard forks, which is sublime. I have it in my 1098R. Visually, all you notice is the different colour fork tops. I have the original internals with all the parts I got with my bike.

I wouldn't let a track bike put you off. Mine was the same when I bought it, but all of the standard fairing parts were brand new and mint when refitted. Check the history. Mine had a fully comprehensive file and a fortune spent on maintenance.

IMG_4713.JPG

IMG_5897.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  7. The Arrow was a big let down! I will be going to have another look on Tuesday, and will be able to inspect the road fairings etc. With that place IN Sheffield advertising them at 26-28k people selling them get a bit giddy!

8. Unless you own one, then you use Sheffield as the barometer. :)

9. it's not that ex-race one that was on here is it? - can't remember owner's handle.

10. No not a race bike.

The guy said he paid £18k for it 2 years ago with 500miles on the clock... He said he wants his money back! I was thinking more like £15500 to £16500 would be more realistic?

11. I have loaded one or two 1098r on the ebay section,this will give you a idea on price:thinkingface:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-1098-R-Now-sold/222815403996?hash=

12. If it’s got all the standard stuff too, and condition is good, 18k seems market ish. Your description suggests it isn’t

13. I want some d16 forks :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. we all do, they'd even look nice on a wall, but if fitted remember to never push bike forwards when there is sticky tarmac and big stones around.

#14 Chris, Mar 28, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Apart from the eye candy factor, a bike would benefit more from a cartridge kit from K-tech or Ohlins

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. :eyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  17. Cheers for all the I put guys, will keep you posted on the sale and the D16 fork availability

• Like Like x 1
  18. :eyes:

19. Not wishing to be a party pooper @Richard R but if the current owner is looking to recover what he has spent on the bike, I’d be walking away for that reason alone. Alarm bells are also ringing in my head trying to understand just how he spent £22k on it after first buying it. Significant performance upgrades do not make for a good road bike. Andy

20. And may mean a full nut and bolt rebuild is needed some time soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information