1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 1098r Alloy Fuel Tank

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Robarano, Oct 29, 2017.

1. A while ago, I posted a thread after purchasing an alloy fuel tank for my 1098R. It was a blank canvas and I was unsure which way to go with painting it before fitting it to the bike.

Original thread.

1.jpg
    2.JPG

After canvassing some opinions, here were the options -
    • Keep it bare alloy
    • Paint a stripe as per the 1198SP (by far the most popular option, but I couldn't see it suiting the 'R' colour scheme)
    • Paint it red as per the standard tank (I liked the idea of it looking standard, but it seemed a shame to waste the alloy of the tank)
    • Stu - @Exige sowed a seed in my head about going along the lines of the 1199R tank. I liked the design but was concerned about the visible alloy working with the 1098R red / white scheme.
    1199R.jpg
    So, I decided to give the 1199R design a try (I could always paint it plain red down the line if I wasn't happy with the end result), and toddled off to see my friend to mess about with some masking lines and see if we could come up with a design I was happy with. After trying some lines for 20 mins or so, the initial pattern of the 1199R tank didn't quite work with the more angular tank of the 1098 but we managed to find something I was happy with in the end.

3.JPG

4.JPG

I wanted a design on the top of the tank to match the number boards on the nose and tail units of the bike. I decided to have a panel painted on the top of the tank, pinstriped gold to match the others on the bike with a tasteful "Ducati Corse" logo in the centre.

So he cracked the masking tape out, warmed up his spray guns and this is how it came out.......
    6.JPG
    7.JPG
    5.JPG

Although it made no difference on the bike, I decided to keep the underside of the tank bare clearcoated alloy.

8.JPG

I fitted it to the bike today, and I have to say, I'm please as punch with the results. :grinning:

Standard.
    9.JPG

New Tank.
    10.JPG
    11.JPG
    12.JPG
    13.JPG
    14.JPG
    15.JPG
    17.JPG

I'd be interested to hear opinions.:imp:

VIZ© Top Tip - The cap head socket bolts holding the fuel pump flange on the original fuel tank rounded off quite easily when removing them (I had to Dremmel a slot in them and use an impact wrench to get them out), so I replaced with hex head bolts. M5 x 16 for anybody that is interested.

Pump1.JPG
    Pump3.JPG

Feel free to look my friend up, he does great work - Car & Bike Magic :upyeah:

CBM.png

#1 Robarano, Oct 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2017
    • Like Like x 23
    • Love You Love You x 1
  2. Looks the b*lllocks :upyeah:

12.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  3. Lovely that Rob, looks bloody fantastic, I'm sure someone on here mentioned car & bike magic for a repair on my multi fairing / tank cover, looking at that job it'll be a piece of piss :)

4. Cracking result :):upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  5. That was me Nige, seeing as you come to the region regularly. :upyeah:

He also pinstriped my Desmo seat unit. Top lad, he is. :innocent:

IMG_5369.JPG

Thanks for the feedback. :)

• Like Like x 4
  6. I couldn't have done it without you. ;)

• Love You Love You x 1
  7. I'll have to get cracking on mine - it will be along the same line, but different. Yours is a nice blend of the two 1199R model years and works really well. I will follow the latter 1199R mainly to be similar, but a little different and if it doesn't look right I'll copy you (me) you - now I'm confused :thinkingface:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Tank looks shit...you may as well give it to me!
    :cool:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  9. No problem. I'm glad I could help me, errr..you. :confused: If you are not happy after copying you, feel free to copy me, copying you. :thinkingface:

I'm utterly bewildered now. o_O

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. :sob: Consider it in the post. :worried:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Going to get it done over winter! I'll let you know:)

• Like Like x 1
  12. nice/individual, would have separated the "alloy" finish and red with a gold stripe myself though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. stunning! so much nicer as the original!

• Like Like x 1
  14. There was a mini thread in the Bayliss 1098R thread where people were posting the specs of bikes. Here it is with the updated tank. :)

Engine
    Pistal HC pistons, Waterless coolant, JHP air filter, lightened flywheel, Samco silicon hoses. JHP superstock ECU.

Gearbox & Clutch
    Nova race gearbox, Nemesis quick shifter c/w reverse race shift, DP slipper clutch, JHP clutch cover, DP pressure plate, JHP clutch slave cylinder

Exhaust
    72mm Termignoni slash cut system

Suspension
    Ohlins front 30mm internal cartridge kit. Standard TTX rear.

Wheels
    BST Carbon jobbies

Controls
    Gilles VCR rear sets, Gilles X-Treme GT2 brake & clutch levers, Quick action throttle.

Bodywork
    Ducati Performance alloy fuel tank, Race screen, Superpole seat, carbon hugger & various small bits of carbon, Quick release fuel filler cap.

Traction Control
    Nemesis traction control

Electrical
    18A Shorai lithium battery, Exact start starter lead kit.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Looks stunning rob. :upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. That is a real bike :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Result mate. Looks mint! How much was the Nova box? Did you go for the super finish? Thinking of going down that line myself.

18. The previous owner had it fitted by JHP, so I'm not 100% up on it. As far as I'm aware, NOVA only do the one gearbox and their website lists it as "superfinished as standard"

http://www.novaracing.co.uk/ProductDucati748,749,916,955,996,998,999,1098,1198RaceGearbox.html

I think the receipt says the gear set was £2,200, but there was labour and a load of seals, bearings and other parts listed on top of that. He also had the Nemesis QS and TC systems fitted at the same time, and sit down for this............................the total was £8k with no V.A.T. as he lived in Jersey. :eek:

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Crikey.... gulp.... errrr, TAXI!

• Agree Agree x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information