1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 1098r And Bayliss Owners Advice Needed

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by ducatidude1098r, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Hi, i have just installed a full 70mm termi system to my bike, the rear of the carbon lower belly pan rubs against the rear pipe that sits in front of the rear wheel, has anyone else suffered this problem, thanks, pic to follow later

#1 ducatidude1098r, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  2. My bike has a bit of bubbling on the belly pan from the 70mm exhaust. I can't remember where off the top of my head though.

3. I have a 70mm system on the 1098s and have the same issue. I found a small washer and put it between the rear brake master cylinder and the bellypan. It moved it away from the pipe a couple of mm and seems to have stopped it

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. its funny, I had an s but no issues, maybe termi pipes are all bleedin different, knowing Italians that would be about right

• Like Like x 1
  5. Just tagging onto this thread, nothing to do with 70 mm system – would like to know just how many 1098R owners are on this site out of interest. Would be good to hear experiences on using the eight traction settings etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DTC was the first traction control fitted to a production bike in the world. It is crude and hamfisted in operation. I leave it on 2 if on track, but find the clock (ie, DTC Off) actually more useful when riding on the road.

7. My R came with a Nemesis sytem fitted, I've never ridden it with the standard DTC system. I do have it on my Streetfighter S. I think I have it set to L3, but apart from occasionally seeing the lights on the dash blip, I can't say i've noticed it much.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. I am sure it could be described as antiquated by today standards but had favourable reviews just seven years ago so it can't be totally useless.

9. It isn't useless, and it does work. 7 years ago it was a game changer to see TC available on a prod bike outside of the MotoGP/WSBK paddock, hence favourable reviews at the time. Today's systems are completely transparent to the rider in operation; whereas you definitely know when it kicks in on the 1098R, such is the acceleration of the 1098R that gets violently interrupted.

10. Same with an MV F4 RC on acceleration

11. I've had my R for 2 years now. I have done plenty trackdays on it but never used the traction control until last weekend in Almeria when I decided to check it out. Even on the lowest setting it is really intrusive. Makes the smooth ride into like a shopping trolley on cobbles :-o

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. I set it on 7 when I first got the bike. Some weeks later I phoned the supplying dealer and complained about a misfire when comming out of almost every corner, "have you tried turning down the traction control or turning it off?" was his immediate response in a slightly sarcastic manner. Next day on TC3 setting the misfire had gone completely :blush:

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Really? Even on 1? Mine has the Nemesis interface and at Almeria last time out I had it set at 3. I just managed a sub 1'50" which isn't brilliant but its not hanging about either.
    The only places I've felt it kicking in is coming out of slow, hairpin type bends.

14. Not sure what the Nemesis interface does but perhaps I should qualify my statement a bit. So I first tried it with really worn rear tyre and it was shockingly intrusive like "wtf has happened to my bike" intrusive. Shopping trolly on cobbles. I strapped a new slick on the rear and on setting 1 it didn't intrude for the first 3 or 4 laps. Then it started to creep in at the right hander at the end of the main straight - exactly where you would expect it to. Thats the nearest thing to a "hairpin type" corner there is at Almeria. I'm getting round in 1.51s consistently. So interesting stuff, like how fast the performance of tyres drops away and how important it is to make best use of those first few 'golden' laps on a new hoop if you are looking for times :). I had a chat with someone who knows and they said TC was really just offered to help road riders not get into trouble.
    It makes you appreciate what is really going on at the contact patch and how much you use your senses and feel to keep out of trouble - especially on old tyres :)

15. The Nemesis interface is the small black dash mounted module. It can be operated on the move (I think) by way of 2 coloured (I think its blue and red) thumb operated buttons on the left bar. Its so you can pretend you're Chaz Davies or someone.
    I'm not entirely sure mine works properly. I set it to 3 and sometimes feel the rear step out under ham fisted throttle inputs. Like on that long left hander just before those tricky corners. I wasn't referring to hairpins at Almeria, I don't think there are any.
    But yeah, my overriding instinct is to 'feel' what's going on beneath me. I've never taken the leap of faith and leant on the electronics. I'm reliably informed you can do it with new bikes but I'll stick to 'feel' with my 1098R.

16. So did anyone make a tally of forum members who own a 1098R ? I would also be interested in what people have changed from the original equipment. Andy

17. Mmmmmm, nice BSTs. What else did you do ? Andy

18. Front forks re-valved, reverse shift and rearsets. It don't need much else (if anything). Oh yeah, I put all the carbon bodywork in the garage and replaced it with corse fibreglass (got it way back in 07 when I got the S) - which is just as well because I have binned it in the gravel at least twice :-o

Do Not Sell My Personal Information