1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 1098r Bayliss Le - A Good Investment?

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Keith Kirtland, Apr 17, 2019.

1. I have the opportunity to buy a mint Bayliss but considering the price it would need to be something of an investment hoping that the value would increase over say the next 5 years and not decrease.

i know issues/costs on the bike need to be considered and there are no guarantess but do folk think that values of these bikes will go up?

Also any key things to look at?

Thanks

2. I think they will - all depends on the purchase price. You don't want to be paying the seller for the next 5 years of value rise. But yes, they are pretty much the best of the modern R's for investment, along with the Pani R 2nd Gen...

IMG_2967.JPG

3. Thread moved and why don't you introduce yourself properly in the newbies section too Dave :)

4. I have a slightly different opinion. I think the Bayliss is over priced and will eventually follow the current trend of the original 1098R which has dropped back from the heady days of commanding mid to high 20 thousands to a more realistic price of mid to high teen thousands. I do not include the prices advertised by Elite Superbikes in Sheffield for comparison purposes because for ordinary people, they are ridiculous. Just my opinion FWIW. Andy

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Thanks there are a few for sale at the moment ranging from £19k to £30k obviously dependant on a number of factors.

Bike I am looking at is absolutely mint with full service history and is unmarked.

What price would you be willing to pay??

Appreciate this is only an opinion.

Thanks

6. How many owners and what mileage? UK bike?

7. You wouldn't happen to have both types? :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Not exactly no :eyes:

9. Bike has had 3 owners - from new guy did 7500 miles from 2010 to 2016 he sold to a guy who didnt use it and current owner has only done 100 miles.

10. Looking at the current 'asking prices' (some which have been around a while now) it would be somewhere around £22k to £24k dealer price at a guess, but there a few for sale at the moment. A good price would be £20k for a private sale for both the seller and buyer I think. Anything below that would be good if buying... do you know what price it changed hands the two times it did?

11. No but seller is a private seller and enthusiast who is selling to focus on classic Ducatis and not modern and he is looking for £25k

12. Strong money - I just bought one last year from a Ducati Main Dealer (the bikes supplying dealer) 1 owner only 1500 miles and paid only £500 more than that.

13. If the Desmo service, including valve shim check, has not been done, expect to pay anything up to £1250 if shims need changing. I agree with Exige, £25k is very strong for a private sale. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Due to expected change from petrol to electric vehicles it is extremely difficult to gauge what the market will do in 10-15-20 years time. Just wondering what happened to steam powered vehicles 10-15 years after the petrol powered vehicles took over?
    Just buy and enjoy it. I cannot see prices of these plummeting, nor do I expect the prices to rise...if someone wanted one in them collection it is probably there by now.
    As for advertised prices, just wondering how many 1098r have actually sold for over 20k?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Thanks

Assuming there is some negotiation room it may depend on confidence around future value for which there seem to be differing views.

Do you know how the prices have moved in recent years?

Thanks

16. A copper bottom guarantee on this one:upyeah:

• Love You Love You x 1
  17. From £35k+ early last year at Sheffield to top dealer price today of £26-£28K. If you bought one last year at the height of the market you’d had your fingers burnt. Andy

18. That was a zero mile one Andy I think at £35K :thinkingface:

19. Ducati Glasgow have a bayliss for sale just under 20k

Do Not Sell My Personal Information