1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 1098r - My Little Story...

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Exige, Feb 6, 2017.

1. So, a few weeks ago I acquired a Petrol Tank off a 1098R off this very forum. It still had the fuel pump assembly fitted and also the petrol cap that came with a key. I had in mind that my next bike purchase in a year or so would be a 1098R so snapped up the tank at the bargain price being offered as a spare.

Forward just a few weeks and the 1098R that Andy @Android853sp had mentioned for sale at Moto Rapido would not leave my thoughts; you know how these things can get hold of you sometimes and not let go! So I PM’d Andy after reading somewhere on here that all you need is ‘man maths’ to justify how to possibly fund such an unexpected purchase. I asked Andy about the bike and he kindly offered to have a closer look and check out its history. Being 250 miles away it was such a great help as I probably wouldn’t have travelled to view it.

The bike and its history were impeccable so I had to make a decision. I told Andy I would let him know the next day if I was going to make an offer – Andy had offered to help do a deal which was great! I was to sleep on it due to the large unexpected financial commitment, but that night while completing a couple of invoices, the last entry in my accounts was a vat amount on my last sale: it was £11.98 – 1198, the cc of the 1098R engine. I had decided, it was a sign… :D

So, a message to Andy first thing in the morning, he was straight down to Moto Rapido to haggle on my behalf. A bit of toing & froing and the deal was done; all I needed to do was phone George at MR and put down the deposit.

So, to pick the bike up – a week or so passed and I had arranged a meeting at our Leamington office for Friday 3rd Feb. It would only be a further 2 hours to drive down in the van to Moto Rapido and I had all day as I was picking up my friend Hana from Manchester Airport at 11pm. So I arrived at Moto Rapido around 3.15pm with an offer of a coffee from Andy (he is ‘front of house’ at Moto Rapido now he has retired :smileys:)
    Chatting to Andy I mentioned the tank I had bought and mentioned that I was 99% confident the story would end with the key from the tank fitting the bike I had just purchased – I had the key with me, the key fit!!! The bike having had a 20 litre Beater tank fitted hence the seller parting with the spares from his bike.

Just a mention for all at Moto Rapido, fantastic service all round and a deal I was very happy with, which is what counts!

So, the final twist, I was away with the bike loaded in the van backwards – so when home I could reverse up to the front door and simply roll it out of the van, straight into the hallway. After all it was going to be around 1.30am when home so I didn’t want to struggle unloading. Hana jumps in the van at the airport, she takes a look at the bike and says ‘you have a Czech motorbike’ having read the number plate ending in CZE: the 3 letter abbreviation for Czech. The start of the number was PVO – PIVO is beer in Czech, she had brought me a gift of my favourite from Prague, so I had a bottle while sat looking at the bike at 2am Saturday morning.

Thanks go to Hana for the photos which were taken on Sunday; the improvised stand spoiling the shots I am responsible for :Facepalm:. The bikes specification follows the pictures…

IMG_5725.jpg IMG_5727.jpg IMG_5739.jpg

Ducati 1098R
    Modifications carried out:
    Akrapovic Evolution full 70mm titanium exhaust system with carbon fibre end cans
    Super Stock custom map for ECU (By Moto-Rapido)
    Ducati Performance double-bubble screen
    Stainless steel fairing bolt kit
    Stainless steel fairing screen bolt kit
    Stainless steel front fender bolt kit
    Stainless steel seat unit bolt kit
    Stainless steel fuel cap bolt kit
    Stainless steel front brake callipers mount bolts
    Titanium rear brake calliper mount bolts
    Titanium rear brake calliper pinch bolts
    Titanium speed sensor retaining bolt
    Titanium DTC sensor retaining bolt
    Titanium sub-frame nut and bolt kit (Special items - WSB style from Giamoto)
    Titanium rear-set bolts (Special items - WSB style from Giamoto)
    Titanium Hex nuts to sprocket flange (Lock-wired)
    Titanium front brake disc mounting bolts kit
    Titanium rear brake disc mounting bolts kit
    Titanium fork axle pinch bolts kit
    Titanium front axle nut
    Titanium ride-height mounting bolts kit
    Titanium shock absorber mounting bolts kit
    Titanium rear hub/axle pinch bolts kit
    Titanium steering damper mounting bolts
    Titanium rear brake master cylinder mounting bolts
    Titanium exhaust shield bolts
    Titanium hugger bolts & rubber anti-vibration mountings
    Titanium exhaust can mounting bolts
    Titanium battery clamp retaining bolt
    Titanium top and bottom yoke pinch bolts
    Titanium heel-guard bolts
    Titanium chain-guard mounting bolts
    Titanium number plate spider retaining bolts
    Titanium engine bolts kit
    Titanium Side Stand fixings kit (all the mounting bolts and special fixings)
    Chrome-plated side stand bracket
    Stainless steel nuts for number plate/indicators hanger
    Stainless steel oil cooler hanger bolts
    Stainless steel rear brake reservoir mounting bolt
    Stainless steel seat-pad mounting bolts
    Stainless steel fairing black inner panel bolts
    Stainless steel fuel tank mounting bolt with washer
    Hi-Cap starter circuit wiring upgrade kit
    Number plate bracket in Polycarbonate (More compact neater version of a tail-tidy)
    Saxon Seats cover for riders seat pad
    “Beater” Custom hand-made 20litre aluminium fuel tank from Japan
    Custom paint-spray job to aluminium tank by “Image Custom Designs” of Camberley
    Fuel tank breather pipe replaced with red silicone breather, routed to belly-pan
    Corse Dynamics billet fuel pump base with QR connectors for fuel lines
    Corse Dynamics billet fuel tank mount bracket
    CDT Carbon fibre key-surround
    CDT Carbon fibre under-tray
    Heat-shielding to under-tray (Aerospace quality)
    Heat-shielding to belly-pan replaced with high-grade aerospace product
    Oberon billet aluminium clutch cover (Original cover and Ducati Performance carbon fibre item available)
    Brembo SC front brake pads
    Brembo SP rear brake pads
    Supersprox rear sprocket in gold - 42 tooth
    Talon 15-tooth front sprocket
    DID ZVMX X-Ring chain with 100 links (Bit longer to compensate for larger rear sprocket)
    Billet sprocket flange in black
    Billet ride-height adjuster in gold
    Brembo HPK rear brake master cylinder with 13mm piston
    Brembo RCS front brake master cylinder with titanium pinch bolts
    Brembo RCS clutch master cylinder with titanium pinch bolts
    Lightec clip-ons with titanium pinch bolts
    Moto Corse billet reservoir pots for front brake and clutch master cylinders
    Superbike “Squishy” grips
    HEL Brake & clutch lines; transparent red with “Stealth” covering to black stainless steel fittings
    Oberon clutch slave cylinder
    EVR Slipper clutch with sintered clutch plates

Thanks again Andy :upyeah:

Edit: and it will be on the road from May :Smuggrin:

#1 Exige, Feb 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 26
  2. Crikey! Welcome to the club!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. I take it back :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fantastic read

I love this side of biking, the way people look out for each other etc etc

Awesome - enjoy

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

6. lovely mate well done!! if you wana sell that 20L tank let me know :upyeah:

and well done andy for sorting it out for you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. My pleasure Stu and I'm pleased it all worked out. If you have half as much fun that I have enjoyed on mine, you'll have a permanent silly grin on your face - just like me :D. Andy

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Yeh, Andy was a star :D The tank will be swapped for the standard one, then re painted to show the alloy through aka Pani R tanks - think it will look cool :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  9. And that explains the £200 bank balance! Nice bike.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Nice one, stu. Looking forward to seeing this one! Bout time you bought a decent bike. :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  11. :Wideyed:

12. everyone getting 1098R's i want one!! :Arghh:

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Very nice. The tank will look very nice with the alloy showing.

Congrats, about time you had a proper 'R' :) Post your thoughts when you get to ride it. :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. There won't be any left soon :Watching:

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Is it a prototype?

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. No, but funnily enough..... :Smuggrin: it just so happens :Finger:...... :Cigar:

• Like Like x 1
  17. should have stuck the ohlins on that 1198 ;)

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  18. You're gonna love that bike, they are fakkin' mental!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. @bradders when the sps sells i might do yet!! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  20. The more I see the Beater tank, the more sense it makes, plus it looks the business.

I'm trying hard to resist. :Nailbiting:

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information