1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 1098r Tank

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Ivor, May 18, 2020.

1. Had to remove the tank on my 1098R to do the belts, the tank does not fit properly (it's about 10mm too long for the rear bolt to go in) and it appears to be plastic, were plastic tanks fitted as standard or has someone changed it? I'm obviously hoping that it has been changed and that the bike hasn't been shortened from the front! I've checked the front mounting and all seems OK, but you can see where the tank has been rubbing at the front where it has been pushed in really hard to get the bolt in

2. ISTR that plastic and ethanol fuel are not good bedfellows and that the tank can stretch?
    Someone cleverer than me will be along soon to educate us

3. The tank is plastic and has swollen due to ethanol in the fuel. It will need to be replaced, an ideal time to buy a nice aluminium tank!
    (Yes, really. This is a ‘thing’!)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. You look to have suffered an expanding tank, as said above, @Ivor The front has likely expanded too and probably rubbed on the steering damper.

5. This has been discussed previously here:

https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/plastic-tank-worries.71663/#post-1397587

In brief, the problem is that the ethanol in most petrol encourages water to sit at the bottom of the tank. The “plastic” used by Acerbis for the fuel tanks absorbs water, and is dimensionally unstable when it does so.

Some, but not all, of the swelling can usually be reversed by dry storing the tank empty in a warm and well ventilated place, well away from flames or sparks. Take care as the tanks are even less dimensionally stable if you let one catch fire or explode!

it is a good idea to minimise use of ethanol in a plastic tank. I use Esso Super Unleaded which is still ethanol free despite the “Up to 5%” label on the pumps.

6. Thanks everyone, another problem not previously encountered, time for an aluminium tank then, where's best to get them?

7. Ebay off a later model 1198 or 848 posh model - usually around £1500 though in good condition. Or try Beater in Japan :thinkingface:

8. I paid £800 for mine. :yum

9. ... and don't forget the "damp, moisture and water" aspect for the whole picture... :-

https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/why-im-learning-not-to-worry-about-ethanol-in-my-tank.39738/

10. sorry for the inadvertent rating, not sure how I did that, corrected now I hope, thanks for pointing it out and sorry!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information