1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 1098r Temp

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Braz, May 18, 2017.

1. interested to know what temp other 1098R owners bikes run at and what temp fans kick in.
    It was 30c here yesterday and my right leg was medium to well done by the time I got home :mad:

2. Has it got 70mm system? Mine has and it gets ridiculously hot in warm weather.
    Top tip: do not ride in town during hot weather!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yes Ricky 70mm termi with slashcuts.
    Can you recall what temp yr fans kick in 100c plus?
    Top tip absolutely correct - it's no city bike - but let loose in the country - oh yeah baby

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Braz, can't speak for 1098r but my 1198s fans cut in at 104. Same with standard or 70mm system.

5. Thanks Maccaa - my bike activates the ball toasting fans at about the same although I did see 106 yesterday.
    Nice to know it's not abnormal :relieved:

6. Ducati fans all cut in at over 100*C. I suspect it's to allow any moisture in the oil to boil off. The mix of coolant and water, combined with the pressurised cooling system means that the coolant won't boil until almost 130*C though. Fully synthetic oil will also be fine at that temperature.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. The temperature the fans kick in is controlled by the Ecu, looking at various 1098/1198 'maps' they're all programmed to activate at 103 degrees IIRC, with the correct software this can be altered I've dropped mine down a few degrees

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I think mine is 103° iirc.

9. How are you looking inside the maps?

10. I have a solution to barbaque'd calf.

Buy some of this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXHAUST-H...977081?hash=item360f108db9:g:5H4AAOSwLnBX4FKi

Cut a bit of circa 4" x 6", edge it with some gaffa tape to stop it fraying. Get a surgical tube and put it on lower leg. Place heat shield on calf, then slide top part of tube over so that the heat shield is sandwiched between the tube. Hey presto comfort in >30deg Days. Put sock on, leathers and boots. This is proven and tested.

I have a set of 70mm ceramic coated in matt black which helps a tad in combination.

11. It's controlled by the ECU, is it not?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I must say that I too get paranoid when I get stuck in traffic and the display starts to rapidly climb from the 70* or so that shows at cruising speeds. It gets really worrying when the display hits 90 and keeps climbing and the fans don't cut in until after 100, first one at 101 and, if that doesn't control it, then the other at 103, which seems astronomically high.

However, I have to tell myself that this is crazy thinking because my BMW car runs at 100* all the time, it's just because we are used to seeing 70 that 100 seems to be a problem. The bike will be perfectly happy at 100 degrees, even well over 100. It's not until 130 that we really have to worry because that is the point at which the coolant will be in danger of boiling, which will compromise the cooling system and start to endanger the motor.
    Ducati could easily set the ecu to bring the fans it at a lower temperature. They choose not to and I'm 100% certain, not by accident. Fully synthetic oil will still be perfectly happy even at 130*.

Imho, the problem is in our heads, not in our engines.

Having said all that, I would be interested to know, preferably in some detail, your experience of using the Water Wetter.
    Self-styled Ducati guru, Larry 'Shazaam' Kelley claims to have drained it out again because it made his engine run too cool...

13. I use waterless coolant to avoid pressure build up amongst other things. :)

I'll get my tin hat ready, shall I? :eyes:
    [​IMG]

14. I used TunerPro to modify the bin file & Guzzi Diag to upload it

Do Not Sell My Personal Information