1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 1098r V 1198s For A Fast Road Bike.

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by pauly, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Seeing as neither will likely depreciate much, what would you buy?

2. I have a 1098R and it can be brutal but so very rewarding to ride. I have not ridden an 1198. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Would have to be the R. When I was retiring I bought myself a ‘present’ of an 1198S. However, I could have bought a 999R from a dealer for £7500. The 1198 was nice but the R would have been an appreciating asset. Regrets!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. My last bike was a S1000RR, so I'll be used to the power.

5. It’s not the power it’s the torque! 1198 will be an easier bike to ride on the road, from everything that’s said about the R. An R can be easy 195rwhp and over 100lb frt torque.

6. The 1098R will seem archaic compared to the S1000RR. The most basic nod to traction control. A very old school bike. Andy

• Like Like x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  7. I had a K6 1000 and a 99 R1 previously, although the BMW was a lot faster, the grunt of the other 2 was more fun.

8. Think you may be in for a surprise as above the torque is different to all of the above. If not treated with a little respect it will bite you very quickly - that said it’s a whole lot of fun :D

9. I like wheelies :).

• Like Like x 1
  10. If the funds allowed and 1198 was sat next to an R, it has to be the R. That one for sale in here, although top end price, seems as perfect an example as you can get :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. It is very nice, but would the money men be sniffy about it's track history?

12. It’s not been raced though I don’t think and even if it has it’s had a full engine rebuild and t and bolt restoration by current owner. Its know I think these bikes (most Ducati’s tbf) are over priced and an R top money should be 16k but they go for way more. And that one is one even I’d pay *almost* what the guy is asking if I was truly in the market ;)

13. how long has it been for sale again....?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. If it's still for sale, and I haven't bought something else, I'll probably look at it when the owner is back. But I get what you're saying about the money. And perhaps it won't look like it does now for long, if someone buys it to actually use.

• Like Like x 1
  15. If it's for "fast road" use, is the 1098R really worth the extra money over the 1198S? If I was going to spend R money, I'd probably look at a Gen2 Panigale R... But then I've never ridden either!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Problem for me is the seat height seems higher on the Panigale, and I'm on tiptoes on them :(.

17. Steer clear of the Superpole seat then (+1 inch over standard)!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. I might have done. :innocent:

1098R is an animal like no other bike I've ridden. The throttle is like a bomb and the stomp out of the corners is unreal. It'll lift at 100mph in 3rd on the throttle. :eek:

Pani R is far more civilised and almost doesn't feel like a twin in comparison. It feels a lot more modern with the electronics and toys. The blipper and quickshifter bring a smile to your face.

The Pani R is an easier road bike and probably more fun, but the 1098R is a bike you get off, look at it and think 'Ooooofffff !!!!!'

But it wasn't a choice between R's :confused:

IMG_6487.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Faircomment, it wasn't about R's! In which case, I's say go with the 1198S. I think you've had your 1098R for a while now - would you pay ~20k for one now? If the OP is concerned about future value, then I suspect the 1198S has more potential to grow.

20. I woudn't pay the prices being asked for most older Ducatis now to be fair.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information