1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098r Vs 1198

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Paul Train, Oct 28, 2017.

1. I was just wondering how different to ride would my 1198 2011 model be to a 1098r??

I have t/c, slipper clutch and termi's etc so its well equipped.

Anyone out there ridden both?

2. Everything I have ever been told is...chalk...cheese. The R is far more of everything.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 1098R is lighter, has more power, has (a little bit) more torque. The Ohlins forks, Ohlins rear shock and the Marchesini alloys which are ridiculously light, transform the handling. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 1198r is even better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I believe the 1098R and 1198R are the same basically.
    Like a 916SPS and 996SPS are also basically the same (Ohlins forks on later 996SPS)

6. 1198R and 1098R Bayliss are more powerful than the 1098R bikes.

7. Well I never knew that! What’s the differences?

8. It depends on which year, from lowest to highest power the list looks like this:

2008 1098R
    2009 1098R
    1098R Bayliss
    1198R

There are quite a few engine component differences and for the reply not to require an hour to type, because all of the models have some different internals it would be easier to compare a couple of R models instead of all four, but you're mainly looking at cylinders, pistons, cams, timing gears, crankcases, etc

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Would love to know the differences of the different internals. Please state component parts and equivalent parts numbers please, and in what way the net differences make a difference. FWIW, Ducati themselves do not state any net differences between the bikes from an output or power perspective.

I am aware that the 2008 vs 2009 Termis move the spring retainer from the inside to the outside, but external details like that are not material.

10. Interesting reading guys!

11. Ah OK, you're aware of an exhaust spring, that's a good starting point I guess.

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  13. Interested in where you get this information as the Ducati model archive information has the 08, 09 and Bayliss Rs as the same. Changes were certainly made for the Bayliss and possibly the 09 R but in conversations I have had on the subject, considered to be negetive changes as they took the rawness out if the 08 R. Andy

14. Changes were across all four models as I stated earlier and the information comes from dyno results, the Bayliss and the 1198R should be pretty much the same in terms of power output.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Ah... dyno results... not component differences as suggested earlier... go on, let’s see them! Same mileage bikes, same run in procedures, same dyno, and dyno pulls within an hour please to keep barometric pressures and temps the same please... you seem very assured, and therefore evidence is needed to back it up. Thanks :)

16. You must be more pissed than me right now as you obviously can't read but seem able to write - I listed a few components differences earlier - I didn't "suggest" anything.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. This has really peaked my curiosity so I've just spent the last 40 minutes going through the parts lists and the 09 and Bayliss Rs share most of the engine and gearbox parts with the 1198R. However of the main engine parts, only the heads and cams have different part numbers to the 08 R. The crank, rods, barrels, pistons, valves and timing gears are shared across all 4 models. I have taken a little licence with the pistons as there is a revision change from 3B to 4B. So not that many changes after all. Andy

18. still can't believe they didn't equip it with an aluminium tank as std, would have at least made up for the nosecone and side fairings being plastic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Ain't the tail unit carbon??

20. Yes it is as are the air tube covers, the infills under the seat and the front mudguard. Andy

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information