1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 1098s Radiator Problem

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Cyberwookie, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Evening,

I have a small hole on the top right of my 1098s radiator which is loosing coolant and causing the bike to overheat. Can anyone recommend where I can source a new one or where to have it repaired. Im based in Yorkshire. Ducati have quoted me a very heavy price for new oem part so looking to address it myself.

Any advice is appreciated.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Thanks for the advice

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yep, @Robarano and I both have 1098R's and have gone this route with no drama. I think Ducati OE was 600 quid or something ridiculous.

I had my OE rad exchanged/repaired and bought an 80 pounds Chinese job off Ebay. Build quality and fit seem fine.

I also know an engine builder that uses them. He's bought loads and had no issues at all.

• Like Like x 2
    • Lock Thread Lock Thread x 1
  4. Although I agree the best option is to go to Chinese due to the cost saving and general acceptable quality, I can’t agree with the “no fitting problems” after my experience so best to tread carefully and be aware that you might need to send one back. There are at least three (Chinese) versions, and I have tried two of them. The first had the radiator cap housing attached too high to the main rad body and at an angle meaning that at the very point where the most clearance was needed, it was approx 10 mm higher than standard. As we all know, there is virtually zero clearance for the top of the radiator cap as standard, so there was no way this was going to fit without distortion. The second one I am using, but the fan fixings were way out on pitch and although I could tweak the bottom inboard fixings, I’ve had to leave the top ones and use tie wraps. The seller was very understanding and I’m sure would’ve given a refund if necessary. I’ll do a full thread at sometime in the future with pictures to show possible problems when I find the time as there is another important issue that needs explaining in detail.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. I bought a second hand one one ebay when I holed my 1198's one. They do crop up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. But they all end up with a hole in the same place eventually :thinkingface:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Thats fatalism Exxy. The one I bought came with oil cooler and pipes which came in handy for someone on here as i didnt need them. Rad was perfect. Fitted perfectly too.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. It will go pop :eyes::splat:

9. Dont care. Sold the bike. :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. i bought Chinese for the third replacement. it looks every bit as good as OE even think the paints better. Fitted perfectly all fod just short of 90 quid

• Like Like x 1
  11. More like, fzzzzzzz, :splat: fzzzzzzz, :splat: dribble. :splat:

But it will go. :bomb:

12. Do the 848's suffer the same drama? I noticed mine had some metal putty or such covering what I presumed to be a leak on the inner-left rad and wondered how long it might last. What's the reason for the failures?

13. Yes it will affect your 848 eventually particularly if it's early and still has original water radiator. I don't know if anyone else can comment but I looked at an 'improved' factory version of rad and couldn't see any difference. primary area of failure is top tube of the core on L/H side of rad (sitting on bike) just to the left of the rad 'hanger' brkt. It's been covered on many threads on many Forums so a general search will shed a lot of light on this, if the top plate which completes the frame between the L/H and R/H tanks were doubled up/triangulated/strengthened between the L/H hanger and the L/H tank then the problem would be solved.

#14 Chris, Aug 15, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  14. Mine went on the left as sat on the bike as others I’ve seen. Both sides then, same position!

15. no, you are right - I made a mistake and quickly realised it and edited above - just wasn't quite quick enough! :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. You were correct anyway, just forgot to mention you were sat backwards on the bike :thinkingface:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. For repair, try Autocool radiators in Scarborough, failing that a Chinese copy off ebay, worked for me!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Autocool is where mine is going, they do a pick up and drop off run to York every week or two so handy for me. Have you used them before?

19. Good info, thanks

Do Not Sell My Personal Information