1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 1098s Running Temp In Traffic?

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Symon Moore, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Just interested in seeing what everyone else runs at when stuck in slow moving town traffic? Mine is fookin’ hot since the bike was put back together & I can’t be sure that it was always like this or it’s something to do with the hot summer? Saw 108 yesterday, can’t ever remember seeing it that hot before?

2. Sounds about right, as long as it’s cooling well on an open stretch no worries

• Like Like x 1
  3. From memory, my 1198 will occasionally run up to around 105degC and then be Brough back down nicely by the fans...

I think the fans on the 1198 kick in at 103degC, not sure if it's the same on the 1098 though?

Normal running temp of the 1198 on the open road is 80degC +/- a couple of degrees either way, again not sure if the 1098 is normally the same but can't imagine they will be far from these figures.

As said above if it cools nicely when you clear traffic out in the open and your fans are kicking in before it reaches the 108degC you mention it doesn't sound like there is anything to worry about...

I try to avoid town traffic if at all possible as its not enjoyable riding on a Duc ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mine went up to 110 with a hole in it :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. It's possible to see around 108° once the fans kick in, but before the coolant from the radiator gets to the engine. Iirc, the fans kick in around 103° / 104° and shut off around 98° / 99°

6. Yep that’s about the same for me as a rule. Just hadn’t seen it above 105 before, but it soon came down & yeah I hate trying to ride that clutch at 30mph through traffic. Anyone know if the 14 teeth sprocket change really makes that much difference?

7. My 1198 goes up to 105 then fan is in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I have 14T on the front and made a considerable difference when passing through towns and villages. It is still far from ideal for traffic but definately worth it in my opinion :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. i bought mine 2nd hand from a dealer. not long after i got it the radiator bust they fitted a new one FOC.
    i came back from Francee a while back stuck in traffic at Dartford and bike got very hot. MIL light on and fans not working
    i spent ages trying to sort it to no avail.
    i spliced the wire the ECU grounds to turn on the fans and fitted a switch
    i just turn them on manually now
    As for riding in slow moving traffic i disabled the exhaust valve and it runs perfect at low speed on standard gearing

10. in my mind the change of radiator and fans not working is linked but it probably isn't

11. As above, on my 1198, temps rapidly rise the moment i slow down. Fans kick in at 105 and generally lower the temps to 98 ish. If iv been stuck for a while it not uncommon to see 108/109 before the temps begin to fall back off.

A few weeks ago in germany (36 air temp) i was really struggling, travelling at anything less than 40mph saw the temps rising, so through every town the fans were getting a proper workout.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information