1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1100 Oil Hose Change.

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by comfysofa, Dec 9, 2017.

1. As above. Pretty simple. I'll split the post up to make it easier to digest. First and foremost the main reason for the change was my usual bugbear with ducati....shitty fixing and finishes. They build great bikes but seem to contract the coatings and fixings out to Cadbury's...so without further ado....

The original hoses...
    20171209_132941.jpg
    20171209_132932.jpg
    Inspired by stainless but not actually stainless...on a 12k bike that doesn't really see the rain that's pretty shocking...however I can't comment on previous owners though...

2. New hoses....bit of a leap of faith. Got them from omnia racing in Italy....before I go any further they fitted...just...illgo into that in a bit...
    20171130_132503.jpg
    20171130_132455.jpg
    20171130_132511.jpg
    20171130_132511.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. So. Standard oil change. They state the pressure limit being something like 300 bar but I found my existing lines weren't that tight....I'd hazard about 25 to 30nm at a rough guess...everything came apart fine...

Routed the hoses the same way as before...they were a bit shorter though so...not so good in one way as they don't go through the lower guide but, because they are shorter they follow the engine a bit more closely...
    20171209_134406.jpg
    So you can make your minds up yourselves...

#3 comfysofa, Dec 9, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  4. The fittings on the red end could do with being 45deg instead of 90....but...they still fit...
    20171209_132738.jpg
    20171209_134417.jpg

5. The bottom fixings again could do with being a tad shallower again, they miss, but a bit shallower...
    20171209_132729.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Started off with the oil hoses but the rear tyre was shot also too so used a spare I had...I've got a mate whose a tyre Hoare...whenever he buys a bike no matter what he changes the tyres so I bought em all and steadily going through them...
    20171209_110113.jpg

7. Next job will be remocing the front barrell and getting it recoated in something that doesnt peel off in strong sunlight...look at that shit...
    20171209_134446.jpg
    And there's my rsv4 a year older with the same mileage...
    20171209_134513.jpg
    Granted that a side shot but it's pretty well the same all round...

8. Is the RSV4 actually painted?
    There’s a school of thought that bare metal is better

9. Well...no but it's not tarnished either but the water hose cover is and that fine, plus hardly any of the bolts have rusted and a lot of them were stainless to start with.

10. Is there a “but...” to this story regarding the oil hoses?
    Are they Frentubo?
    Omniaracing were great when I dealt with them.

11. Going to be honest here Comfy,i would take them off and return them the fit is awful and they upset my colour blindness.

12. Well...I'm OK with them as the right angles are underneath and you can't really see them plus I like the fact they are a little tighter.... Colour wise I'm not really that bothered on top of that they look way better than the stock hoses.....the other thing is I've now fitted them so that might be difficult along with the language barrier....

13. No buts..... yes they are frentubo. It was just a thread about them...

14. Just catching up (work has been over the top this last week or so) @Old rider you say that but my KTM motor was bare metal and that was shocking but I think it depends on the finish and grade/type of metal.....here's the KTM...70 hours on the clock at this point...
    20140715_190836.jpg
    And that's after its been sdoc'd and scrubbed. I know its a bit anal but its just gets on my nerves that usually the bits of a bike are the most exposed the less attention it gets and it doesn't matter how much you spent either (on the initial purchase) and the cost to protect said areas is quite minimal. But for example to sort that from cylinder out will be a fairc bit of work...

15. Not been in the garage since I fitted them but....apart from the length which I'm neither here nor there with....I had it in my head the original hoses were 45 degrees at the rad end...they aren't...they are 90deg fittings so, apart from the slightly shorter length they're right....so, while I'm OK with them I think you'd have to literally have the bike there at a fab place to make hoses which are slightly different...

16. I hadn't read the last post, but looking at the pictures, I would have gone with the 45 degrees coming off the cooler and the 90's down at the engine. The extended length of the 90 fittings, look like they are to clear the starter and bring the lines across parallel with the starter body. They'd run in the lower guide then. The kink in the LH cooler pipe, near the union, looks "awkward"

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Hmmm...good point....sure they went round the other way....it was a day of interruptions...

18. One of the fellow bikers I used to hang out with in the seventies always had an immaculate engine and I asked him how he did it. He said he used car wax on his engine.
    I used this tip on the unpainted boxer engines I had and it worked a treat.
    I wonder if a concentrated jet from a pressure hose would clean up aluminium castings? Would need to be careful though, obviously.

19. Never heard that before....interesting...I've always gone with replacement of fixings with ti and xylan.....I know I've seen people clean engines up and then use a rattle can to paint them but....every time I've seen that done after 6 monthly look worse than ever..

20. Yep - its official im a fucking idiot....looked at a pre-oil hose pic...

In fact i got told the same thing by wife yesterday across the car park at Aldi when i was attempting to get the fake pound coin out of the shopping trolley (in fact she even told some women walking past with her little kid looking at me like i was also an idiot)...just to add to that - they say that the selection in Aldi is pretty limited - i disagree, you can even buy children in there....
    20171214_113233.jpg

#20 comfysofa, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information