1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1100 Suspension Compared To 1100 S

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by tarmacassasin, Nov 1, 2015.

1. hi guys,
    just a quickie, what's the difference between the front forks for the 1100 and s model? I know the s model has gold stanchions and black tubes. is the bore different and internals different?

2. Theres a big difference - I had an 1100s and an 1100 evo - the s when pushed harder seemed to almost coast over anything like it was on a cushion of air - my evo was much harder - if youre asking between buying an s and a standard definitely go for the s.

3. Ive got the 2010 1100 Hypermotard ... i did put a post up saying is anyone else's bike a bit skittish .... well ive been fiddling softened it off at the front nearly a full turn and slowed the rebound down 1/2 turn. Totally different bike now no skipping and bucking along the back roads or when cranked over. Softened the rear 1/4 turn as well but left the rebound alone so the front is like a magic carpet to what it was totally plush.

Id be hard pushed to spot the difference between the 1100 and 1100s forks after they have been tweaked ...

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Whatever suspension you've got get it set up properly and you'll be amazed at how much difference it makes. Doesn't cost much either.

5. You can do it yourself you just need to get your head around how all the compression and rebound works and how it effects the bike.

Use the same bit of road your having trouble on about 3-5- miles long. Normally get it sorted by the 3rd pass ... Ive found the most bikes are set up far to hard and to quick on the rebound for our crap roads.

6. When I bought my 796 the suspension was way too soft on the front cos I'm a fat bathplug. I often found the rear waving in the air as the forks dived on only reasonably hard braking.
    I fitted Wilburs fork spring kit for my weight and the front end was transformed. No more unintentional stoppies which greatly increased confidence.
    The rear felt a little too soft and while researching a heavier spring for the rear I bought a height adjustable bar (wanted it a bit higher anyway) and was lucky enough to get an 1100 shock off comfysofa.
    I wound the rings to the same place as my old shock and fitted it and it was like a rock even with my heavy load so I wound it off some and was happy with the ride and there was obviously a much heavier spring on the 1100 than a 796.
    My mate was having some issues with his forks on his triumph tiger 800 and I went with him to motopro suspension.
    Although I kind of knew about shocks from reading books and mountain biking while talking to them I asked about having mine set up as the new rear shock was adjustable I figured I'd give them a try.
    He took some measurements, made some adjustments and I went for a ride. Came back he made another adjustment and wow what a difference it was so planted on bends and so comfortable over the rough shite roads we have I couldn't believe it. He charged £15 I gave £20 and best money I ever spent.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I just had my suspension set up on my Hyper 1100 EvoSP and it has made the world of difference! Before it was soft and wallowy - would become very unsettled if you changed gear mid corner, the rear squatted down, and i felt the front was a bit soft too.

Local retired Road racer Phillip McCallen set it up for me - he raised the rear to reduce the sag (?) and then stiffened the rear also, he left the front alone as he thought it had the correct amount of rebound and damping. Ok so I'm not exactly sure what he did as he did it all by looking at it while his mechanic bounced it! Not a tape measure in sight! Sorry i can't help any more than that!

Handling is now much much better - I'm actually enjoying the brute now!! she's now a joy to ride - i was contemplating selling prior to that!

8. Can you post your settings please? Mine are on here somewhere but itd be nice to try other setups...

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

9. I will try - I take you want the ride height, sag, etc - i knew i shudda taken notes as he did it!

10. Yep... Much as you got.... Did he not give you a settings card?

11. No, sadly he did not. Like i said - he did it all my feel and view. No measurements were taken at any point. I will check the receipt for the £50 but i doubt it.

12. Just make a note of all the settings and post.... I'll see if I can find mine....

13. Here you go... [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  14. Aha - thats a good guide of what i need to measure!

15. What's your weight... I'm a portly 15 stone...

16. FEK we could be twins! lol! Well almost - I'm a svelte 14st10

17. Fat bassas pair o ya .....

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information