1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1100evo Cambelt Pully

Discussion in 'Monster' started by fastnfat, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Hi All,
    Just asking if anyone has ever removed/replaced a camshaft belt pully on a Monster 1100evo? if so what method did you use to hold the pully in place whilst removing the holding nut?
    Nothing seriously wrong with the engine apart from the retained nut in the rear belt cover is loose in the plastic. I have a replacement part but looking at it it will need the top pully removed to replace it. I've bought a socket for the daft nut that holds it on but as there aren't any holes(don't think there are) in the pully I can't see how to stop it moving whilst undoing the nut. Any help or advice would be most welcome

Thanks

Colin

2. Do you have a picture of the retained nut in the plastic? Is it on the head or on the cover?

3. Remove the black L/H camshaft cover, there's a hole that if you insert 6/6.5mm drill shank you can lock the camshaft.

4. It’s in the plastic inner cover

5. Thanks Rman, I had thought of something similar but using a camshaft locking pin(which I do have) but was doubtful that it could sustain the load of removing the retaining nut!

6. If you're not comfortable using a locking pin and have an old belt, wrap that round the pulley and grab it with a pair of Mole grips?

7. Just had my covers off my M1100 and don’t remember any plastic inner cover. There’s two threaded holes into the cam cover near the top third of the belt cover. They looked like the threads were into metal but I may be wrong.

8. Use an old belt and camshaft locking pin together to hold the cam in place. Best of both worlds :)

9. Thanks Ricky, on the 1100evo ( as do the 696 &796) there are inner belt covers that bolt to the head. Unfortunately to undo those bolts you need to remove the pully nut. After a bit of research it seems I need a toothed tool that fits over the pully to hold it whilst undoing the nut.

40E9FFB7-7EEF-4E88-9F3A-4E870666B539.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hi

Looking at your picture - that can’t be an 1100evo engine as they have a twin spark head.
    The cam cover bolt thread (circled below) is exactly where the spark plug goes.
    72C2DE9A-86E4-48DD-801B-9A6E8B55CDD2.jpeg

Just taken a pic of my 1100S (same engine as Evo apart from your has a wet clutch) - see where the plug lead is and the two cam cover bolts. This is why I was confused why you needed to remove the cam pulley as it wouldn’t be necessary on an 1100S/Evo.

D056EA3E-BD77-481C-A9E1-BD5B08175342.jpeg

11. Hi Ricky,
    The evo engine is a single plug engine. How do I know this? It’s been installed in my bike since new(apart from the time on the bench after a belt failure)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. OK, I stand corrected - I was not aware of that. Thanks for filling the gap in my knowledge base.

In that case, ignore all the previous comments from me!

If the bolt attachment is a brass threaded insert into plastic, you can remove these by heating them up to melt the surrounding plastic and then pulling the insert out.
    Put a long bolt in the insert to engage, heat insert (soldering iron) and when it’s all gooey, pull the bolt and the insert should come with it. This is the method I used on similar fantastic design on 1098 air tube attachment to air box.

13. Ok Ricky, no probs.
    Well, your suggestion would probably be the easiest rather than trying to remove the pulley to replace the inner belt cover. The only issue with that is it has already been plastic welded once before and now the brass insert is slightly loose and my fear is that at some point it may fail completely. I have the parts to replace it but the more I think about it the less inclined I am to do it myself. Now thinking about leaving it until it’s due replacement belts and asking a pro(Nelly at Cornerspeed) to do it at the same time as the belts.
    Cheers Colin

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information