1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1000 1100s

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Mikey Dee, Jan 14, 2022.

1. Hi
    Anyone had dealings or advice on the1100s, just they seem like quite good value and from what I can tell good fun to ride?
    Looking at one which has 25000 miles and in reasonable order for £3.5k. What you think chaps?

2. Someone who knows what they are talking about will be along soon but in the meantime why don’t you introduce yourself properly in the newbies section too :)

3. I had one for about 8 years, with full luggage, termi and de cat and performance ECU.
    Great bike and really liked mine. Buy on condition, service history etc. and if you can from a Ducati fan who's looked after it. Mine was as near mint as a 2007 bike could be (sold in 2020) with 15K on the clock and with all the accessories I got £4K. Very basic bike by todays standards.. no electronic safety aids.
    Trying to remember the problems that can occur :thinkingface: :
    Look out for the tank swelling problems (the old bio fuel) I coated my tank to prevent.
    Instrument Display fading, possible water ingress plus mine used to reset to KPH every night (only takes a few seconds to set it back to MPH every morning)
    Starts better with upgraded earth cable.
    I fitted the throttle tamer, that helps a little around town, also went up 1 tooth on rear sprocket when due new chain.

I sold it along as my aging bones wanted a little more comfort and refinement for touring so I got a 1260S for almost 4 times the cost !!

Try Multistrada.net, I used to post there, a great resource for the old air cooled multis

4. Thanks Pcn1
    So the tank swelling problem? That’s a new one on me, plus what did you coat it with?
    This bike will be a Sunday run out thing so no big miles. Just thought it would be relatively cheap fun. But I know how these things go, they generally end up costing more than expected.

5. The plastic tank was designed back before manufacturer's understood what ethanol in fuel would do to them long term. The tank absorbs part of the fuel (it shags up old vintage car parts too, like carb floats. I understand several manufactures had problems with plastic fuel tanks) and makes it swell and expand. This can cause it to get stuck in the frame on the multi.
    If you can check underneath and the fuel pump isn't leaking then that's a good sign. Ducati now sell an upgraded seal for the pump, an X seal rather than a big O ring.
    Second test is to remove the tank !
    I used Caswell coating I recall... its used to coat inside old fuel tanks to seal them. Several were replaced under warranty, but that's many years ago now. Someone in America sells replacement tanks also.
    I always used super unleaded and never had a problem.
    Ultimately, if the bikes been cared for, all these problems should have been taken care of along the way.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information