1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198/ 1200 Multistrada/1st Gen Diavel Throttle Position Sensor

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Android853sp, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Does anyone know the generic make and part number of the TPS that is common to the 1198cc engine across the later 1198s, 1st gen 1200 Multistradas and 1st gen Diavels ? Looks like I have an intermittent problem with the TPS on Carole’s Diavel and Ducati only list a complete throttle body as a replacement. TIA, Andy

• Like Like x 1

2. Is that a PF1C/00 ?

3. @Exige lists an IPF2 C/B @ £53.95 for the 1198. No mention of it fitting the MTS1200 nor Diavel. The parts lists should confirm.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fiat Dealer, part number 71738921. Genuine Magneti Marelli part fits 749/999, 848, 1098, 1198 plus others. The diavel uses a different type. Looks like the Mitsubishi Lancer uses the same Mikuni TPS.

#4 chrisw, Aug 27, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Not sure, looks like they are different from the post above.
    A few Ducati Dealers use ours now, and motorsport places - even Aston Martin Works o_O
    Normal 15% Discount applies to forum Subscribers of course :):upyeah:
    CCW do 4 types commonly fitted to Ducati's.

6. Looking at the MTS manual shows the TPS to be integrated with the RBW throttle servo motor.

Screen Shot 2019-08-27 at 19.52.37.png

The TPS from the 1098/1198 appears to be completely different.
    Screen Shot 2019-08-27 at 19.52.44.png

7. Only going on what the workshop said that they used an 1198 TPS to trouble shoot problems with other bikes. I suspect what Carole described as a “misfire” might be an intermittent problem with the TPS. When I test road the bike today, I had a Throttle Position error message, the throttle made no difference to the revs and the engine would only tickover at about 1250 rpm. Limped the bike home and left it 20 minutes and when I turned it on, no engine management light, no error message and the throttle worked fine. Going to get the error codes cleared and the TPS tested hopefully tomorrow. I will also have a chat with @Exige. Andy

8. If you find it looks like it fits give me a shout and I'll send you one to try :):upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. So, been in to the workshop today with the bike to get the error codes cleared and talk through the likeliest problem. The Diavel has a twin throttle cable fly by wire system which uses a throttle position sensor and an accelerator position sensor. If the two sensors don’t see a co-ordinated movement, the ecu shuts the fly by wire throttle system off. I was shown how the mechanical throttle quadrant actuated by the opening and closing throttle cables changed position just by moving the handle bars a small amount off centre and the throttle operation was notchy. Although it’s a pain in the butt to get to the throttle bodies, fingers crossed, fitting new throttle cables and servicing the mechanical throttle bits will cure the problem. Andy

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. The early MTS1200 (top picture in Derek's 27th August 2019 post) uses an integrated unit, as he says, which is available from Ducati only as a complete unit and is very expensive. The Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) is not supplied separately as a Ducati part. However, it is the same as is used for the Mitsubish Lancer or Outlander, part number MR578861. It is easy to obtain and costs about £20. The extra good news is that you can fit it from the right hand side of the bike without removing any of the fairing or tank. 10 minute job.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Lock Thread Lock Thread x 1
  11. Thanks for that. Turned out a butterfly stepper motor had an issue. Andy

Do Not Sell My Personal Information