1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 1198 Battery Replacement Advice

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by motosteev, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Hi guys, straight to the point: need advice on a new battery for my 1198sp:
    • Best brand
    • Which amp hour
    • Not interested in saving weight just needs to start the bike
    • Best battery cable upgrade kit
    • Price not an issue
    • Long life
    Thanks for your help

2. Standard Yuasa battery mate. I always used www.thebatteryshop.co.uk

Edit: oops american, so prob one local to you.

YT12B-BS

• Like Like x 1
  3. Get an ExactStart cable kit from @Exige on here.
    Produced for Ducati enthusiasts by a Ducati enthusiast.
    He gets them manufactured for him by a Railway industry supplier to railway industry standards.
    Not super cheap but the quality and fit make them great value.
    Subscribe to this forum and you'll even get a forum discount.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Read my specifications here:
    www.exact-start.com
    Motolectric in the states are the only other high spec ones available but you will need to decide ultimately - plenty of review s on here and people that have used both :)
    I have started to sell a few into the US...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ime the Motoelectric ones are a pain to fit as the cables are impractically thick and on a 999 at least don’t fit properly on the battery terminals

#6 Old rider, Mar 15, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I replaced mine with a SHIDO LT12B-BS as I run a larger version of this battery in my road car for years and its been fantastic even though its taken some abuse. Its a lithium battery and cost £105.

290CCA compared to the stock 210CCA... lower on the Amp hr than stock but thats not an issue as it can turn the bike over dozen times before it starts to slow down in this cold weather... will have even more guts when its warm.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHIDO-LI...105697?hash=item2aa1daece1:g:jDkAAOSwWMtamTzY

• Like Like x 2
  7. Seen one of them fire a 1098 reg/rec - but fingers crossed you will be ok...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. So what caused the fire?
    Like the original poster I'm just interested in reliability and starting every time, not worried too much about the cost... thats why i picked a battery i had used for years.

Interesting read regarding the cables, is this a common issue or a beneficial upgrade?

• Like Like x 1
  9. I'll see if I can find the thread..... basically the regulator is in a really hot place, fitting a Lithium battery makes it run even hotter.... end result FIRE.
    Poor design, to close to limits and then some donkey fits the wrong battery.

10. When I researched I noticed a lot of Donkeys have fitted a SHIDO battery to their 848/1098/1198.

So this isn't an issue specifically with SHIDO battery, but with lithium in general on the 1098 etc?
    Im guessing the issue is the charging system?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. I'd stick to the oem battery. After the shenanigans my mate had with Li on his 1098 and the merryment his issues gave me, i decided it best not to temp providence.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sorry... I should have read the whole thread or perhaps been more tactful .... sorry Eeyore...
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. your right actually, come to think of it i got the higher powered version of this one
    Yuasa YTX14-BS
    changed it to YTX14H-BS

extra 40 CCA

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Did you get what you wanted?

15. Yes much appreciated, some interesting reading and great advice.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Well I have to admit after seeing these comments I went to your site and purchased a kit for my 1098... it arrived the very next day, impressive.
    Just got to fit it now :)

• Love You Love You x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Just fitted one to my 1098R :):upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information