1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 1198 Cooling Fans Stuck On?

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Chillo, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Hi all, I need help/advice!
    (I'm an office wilderbeast not a mechanic but ok Tia point with a spanner!)
    Have got An issue after replacing my rad on my 1198!
    When I connect everything back up my fans are permanently on even with ignition off!
    Any ideas?!
    Have checked fan fuse and it's ok. (Remove fuse and I get 18.2 fault code, no codes when connected)
    It maybe shorting somewhere but have only disconnected the fan connectors etc!
    Help!

#1 Chillo, Apr 26, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  2. Had a quick look at my 1098 wiring diag and I reckon it will be identical

It looks like the fans are powered by a relay that's switched on by grounding through the ECU. Both fans are wired in parallel so its both or none normally. The fuse is powered at all times ignition on or off.

Sooooo likely possibilities

1) The relay is duff
    2) Your getting a ground somewhere on the pilot circuit before the ECU that's causing the relay to be switched on.

The relay is near the battery first check its properly seated and if it clicks when you put the fuse in. You could possibly swap over the relays with another to check if its good or bad.

Then check the green/white wire to see if its grounding or not.

After that it could be a ground/connector hunt

Good luck

John

3. yip. what jock said. a quick switch on of the ignition will tell you if engine temp if it says 100+ but engine cold probable faulty temp switch. i will gamble sticking fan relay

4. the key for me is you saying that after changing your rad......have you trapped a wire or something?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thanks for advice guys,
    Sorted it by connecting everything up with fan fuse removed, fired it up and let it get to 108C then put fan fuse back in (wouldn't go past 62-64C with fuse in)
    Bike cooled down and fan switched off when it got back below 100C. Think it needed to complete a cooling cycle to reset the fan relay as it had gone over 100C previously when I holed the rad.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Thanks for the reply that's quite useful to know

7. My advise would be change the relay for the sake of a fiver ish, sounds like that had stuck to me?

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. tqvm, it happened to my 848 evo as well but when i tried your method it solve the problem.

9. Agreed, take it as an early warnig sign of imminent fan relay failure. Change it for the sake of a fiver. :upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information