1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Exhaust Burned Out?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Tazbert, Nov 11, 2019.

1. So, recently I was stuck by the side of the road with a dead 1198S, and I noticed that the exhaust was glowing white hot inside. I could see all the way through the silencers, and down to the curve of the pipe under the seat. Obvioulsy the first thought was 'that's not good', followed quickly by: 'Am I supposed to be able to see down the exhausts?'

These are the standard exhausts, nothing has been changed. Does anyone know if they are supposed to be straight-through? Or should there be a baffle in the way?

As for the cause, it now seems that some water may have got into the fuel and corroded the injectors so they sometimes stuck. Occasionally they stuck closed so it just stopped, but this time at least one stuck open so it filled the exhaust with petrol. Yay, fun!
    Next question will be what damage that may have done to other parts. Would the cat be ok?
    I know it melted the wiring in the number plate holder (suddenly, no indicators...) but that has been fixed with new wires and lots of heatshrink.

Any thoughts appreciated, hopefully I haven't melted the exhausts

2. Overfilling would not Induce a white hot appearance as by it’s very nature fuel will cool the system so too much fuel and it being dumped in the cylinder would cause hydro lock in extreme cases, would foul the plug and cool the cylinder down.
    White hot exhaust and heat usually come from running extremely lean or incorrect ignition timing

3. Hi, yes it could be that. They are a little fuzzy on the details. Seems they may have reflashed it while the injectors were misbehaving one way, then they switched around. So may have become too lean!
    Either way, I think my concern is the damage that may have been done. Are the standard exhausts straight through? I think I could see the remnants of a blanking plate down one of them, but I am not sure.

4. Unsure on exhaust but if you e melted the internals then that’s some serious heat that’s been through that poor engine

5. That's why I am concerned, would like to see if anyone knows what shape the exhaust should be in before they give me the bike back!

6. Who’s for the bike then? A dealer ?
    Someone will chirp in with what the exhaust should
    Look like but basically to get extreme heat like that then the ignition timing is out or fuel is lean maybe due to restriction in air intake but I doubt it and if someone’s been messing about with the fuel/ignition maps then that could be it.

7. Valve edges burned off
    Top of pistons burned off
    Cylinder bore and piston skirt scuffed
    Spark plug electrodes burnt off

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. to be fair, they have now got the fuel system cleaned out, new injectors (again!) and it has been remapped on the dyno. No issues reported, so hopefully it isn't too toasty inside. I would just like to check...

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hi I had the same happen to my 848....glowing exhaust internals looked like it was on afterburners. Melted the wiring loom as well. It happened after washing the bike but don't know if this is relevant or not. Gave me an excuse to fit carbon cans as per pic

10. Could you see down the pipes? Or just inside the cans? Sounds like you may have had water issues like I seem to have done

11. I would imagine that you would soon know if the pipes are burnt out on start up ?

12. Just to let you guys know I have the bike back now. They inspected the pipes, looks like a cat converter had split in the heat and was partly blocking one of the outlets. He put some replacement silencers on for free. Seems to be working great now :)
    Think it's either 6 or 8 injectors it went through to get there though...

• Like Like x 1
  13. Glad you got it back and all seems okay. The injector bit is interesting Tazbert, did the dealer/garage give you an old one so you could see the corrosion/seizure?
    @Cam @West Cork Paul

14. Recently, while debugging my 1198 engine which was randomly cutting and/or running rough (https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/1198-engine-cutting-out-randomly.80667/), I disconnected one of the ignition coils trying to understand if the problem was affecting a single cylinder or both. Within a few minutes of drive, this caused lots of unburned fuel to go into the exhaust, where it finally ignited setting up on fire the exhaust. :bomb:Flames and smoke were coming out from the pipes for a few minutes after turning the engine off.

It finally turned out to be a faulty Throttle Position Sensor (TPS), but then I noticed that I can see through the OEM exhaust the catalytic converter glowing (picture). Right now, I am running an ECU with lambda (O2) sensors disabled.

* did I damage the exhaust? I cannot remember seeing the catalytic converters before, nor seeing anything glowing.
    * am I running rich? During the debugging phase, in fact, I replaced one injector with a cheap (30EUR) one, and I am afraid it injects too much fuel.

Can anybody post an image of how an OEM exhaust is supposed to look like after a few minutes drive?

55.jpg

#14 luke1198, Oct 7, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  15. So you rode the bike on one cylinder for a while on purpose.

Does that not sound like a really bad idea to you?

Nasher

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Honestly it sounded like a genius idea to me at first :joy:

As somebody said: an Expert is somebody who did all possible mistakes... :poop:

PS: what other bad things could have happened?

17. Piston and bore wear

18. Luke, you asked what other bad things could have happened, and I answered you.
    If the bores are awash with far too much petrol, the thin oil film left on the bore and rings is washed away and you get metal to metal contact leading to very rapid wear. Probably minimal if not done for too long, but like it or not, that is what was happening.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information