1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198... Rust on frame!!

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Ch@rlie, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Hi guys just after a bit of advice. I got the bike out this morning to move it and noticed that the welds have gone rusty on the triangular section just above the heat shield on the frame. It was put away dry back in November so it must have happened over the winter!!!

It is a 2011 with only 5500 miles. I have been caught out in the rain literally twice, never been out in the salt and it is immaculate.

Anyone else come across this problem?

2. Not yet. Ive got a few rusty bolts around the engine a small bit on the rear sub frame under the seat, which I only noticed when I took it apart to do the work on the coolant hoses

3. Not noticed any on mine, but it's not good to be getting rust at this early stage, I'd get it primed and touched in ASAP, do you keep it in a garage and is it completely dry?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. A guy on another forum in the US had a similar issue. His bike was still under warranty so he got a new frame. The problem on his was that paint had not got into some of the more enclosed areas of the frame and exposed bare metal started to rust and rust stains appeared around the area. I'll see if I can find the pics etc and see if it looks the same issue.

5. Thanks for your replies guys it is booked in for a service next Friday and they said they would have a look then.

Spoonz........Thanks for that it is in exactly the same place.

Barmbyduke.... It is kept in a garage that is integral to the house so is nice and dry.

6. Rust appearing on a less than 2 year old bike is not good, I would have a word with Ducati about it, you never know they may surprise you. Isn't there some EU legislation regarding a minimum 2 year warranty on consumer goods? I have seen some info on this but never researched it further.

7. Bin it, break for spares...

8. That's not good!!

9. Just get an angle grinder on it, a nice big blade and in less than 15 min, job done :upyeah:

10. That's just in that small tube if you look the weld is not continuos so that is letting water get into that small tube section if it was mine I would give it a good blast with ACF50 then seal the highest weld making sure the sealer goes into the crack leave the lower weld to breath and don't aim your jet wash at these welds

11. fujack, heard of the fog index and punctuation ? I nearly gasped my last breath reading that !

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Try not reading out loud... ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information