1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 1198s Wouldn't Start...

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by AndrewS, Sep 4, 2017.

1. As per the title really.

Took the bike out on Saturday evening, just a short run to the nearest cash machine (about 5 miles). Bike started fine and ran perfectly for the whole 5 miles. Switched off, got the cash and got back on the bike. Would it start? Would it hell. Turned over OK but no sign of it starting. Long story short I ended up calling out Carole Nash's recovery service (who were very good btw) who ran me home. Went out to the garage on Sunday morning, bike started second prod (like it usually does).

To answer the obvious questions - bike was in neutral, sidestand was down, clutch was in (disengaged), kill switch was on, plenty of fuel in the tank. When trying to start the bike on Saturday evening there was a strong smell of petrol in the exhaust.

It's got me stumped - any suggestions most welcome.

Thanks

Andrew

2. Any codes or orange warning ⚠️ lights?

3. Nothing like that,

4. Battery needs to be tip top condition so if it didn't 'catch' first or second attempt it may have flooded?
    My R did this the other week. Luckily I was at home so I just abandoned it in a huff and put it back on the Optimate.
    Next day it was fine.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Was it just 'spinning' and not turning engine over? Sprag alert.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. @RickyX - I did wonder about simple flooding; I forgot to say that I put the bike on the Optimate on Saturday evening before opening a bottle! Maybe that's why it started the following morning? I'll get the battery checked out.

@bootsam - the engine was definitely turning over, it wasn't just the starter spinning.

Thanks both

7. Just a note, mine would turn over 'a bit' and do the whine. Kind of half and half if you know what I mean. But my sprag was shot. Hopefully its not that but your symptoms remind me of mine. Esp the flooding as it needs a good turning over to fire and a weaselly weak one was a hint I never took early enough that my sprag was going. My bike was at 17.5K when it went. Fortunately I got it home.

£363 for parts from Snells if it is the sprag and about 2hrs simple works as long as you have tools and facilities.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. @bootsam - thanks for that, worth keeping an eye on. Changing the sprag doesn't look that difficult, apart from undoing the nut on the end of the crank - do you need some sort of impact driver for that? I'll check the battery first though.

9. Impact gun (I have a Clarke CEW1000* which will do most tasks) and flywheel holding tool.

* other products are available

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. That doesn't look too horrendous if the worst comes to the worst. What does a "flywheel holding tool" look like (you can tell I've never opened up this part of a Ducati before!)?

11. I believe that Laser Tools make one.

12. I have one. It looks like a steel badminton racket but without the strings. Someone on here was selling them and made it up for me. Damned if I can remember who though. Cant find the person on a search either. I'd flog it cheap as I sold my 1198 for a 1299S, but I still have a 916 on its oem sprag at 25k. Soooooo.....

I concur with the Clarkes CEW1000 that Ricky mentioned. I use it to do my rear wheel all the time. You will also need the socket. Cant remember size. Should it turn out to be this. Hopefully it isnt.

Oh and a fresh tube of 3bond and a case pulling tool.

13. I agree there are definite similarities @Robarano. I'll check out the battery first. I've already fitted a set of Stu's leads, which made a difference, but while I've got the fairing off I'll re-check all the connections - one might have worked loose (I should be so lucky it's something that simple!).

I'm going off Ducati's at the moment. I don't trust the 1198S to get me home under my own steam if I go out on it, and the SP3 is playing up as well (left me stranded with a flat battery the other week; put a meter across the battery and it's only reading 12V at idle and just about reaches 14V at around 5000 rpm; the alternator (disconnected) is putting out all of 40VAC even at 6000 rpm. I suspect the stator is past its prime). Thinking of trading the 1198 for a Fireblade! (Only joking - I think...).

14. Just a word of warning regards Laser flywheel holding tool. I got one and it wouldn't fit a 998. The tool offset is wrong compared to the ducati tool i was fortunate enough to borrow!
    Laser tool on left, genuine tool is more cranked.
    IMG_0714.JPG

15. Quick update... Just got the bike back from Carl Harrison up in Harleston. Sprag clutch was kaput, so he changed that and also did a full valve/belts service which was due anyway. So, it starts much better now (or did when I went out this morning..) so hopefully that's now sorted. It still doesn't burst into life like an IL4 but I guess that's the nature of the beast. It also performs much better even than when I bought it (used) from Ducati Norwich. Hope this weather lasts for a while longer.

• Like Like x 1
  16. I think @cookster had similar recently, kill switch possibly

17. @AndrewS

Do you have a set of exact start hi-cap cables on the bike? Best money I've spent on mine since buying it, makes starting much better and also much cheaper than sprag's ;)

• Love You Love You x 1
  18. My 999 wouldn't start at the petrol station yesterday afternoon. Turns out I'd left it in gear.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  19. All the gear.....

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information