1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198sp V 1098r

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by pauly, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Leaving aside prices, on the road and on a trackday, what advantages would the 1098R have?

2. Coolness.... The R's all about the engine- Ti conrods and vacuum sand cast cases and, and all sorts of other shit. Probably. I'm fairly sure they're faster too. Getting back to cool- definitely cooler. Plus I used to own one. So you can tell your friends down the pub. When they finally bastard well open again....

• Funny Funny x 7
  3. A decent colour scheme?

4. when word got round that Mary had owned one prices went up 20%

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Here we go again.........

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. I see the more senior members of this forum appear to have ‘the devil up there arse!’ :imp: this evening, poor chap only wanted a few pointers :joy:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Someone had an SP up for £12k on ebay a few days ago. I was going to see it, until he decided it should be £14k. Someone else nearby had a Corse up for £14.5k, sent it SOR to a dealer and they reckon it's worth £16.5K. I like the bling, but not that much.

8. Not ridden an 1198S or SP but have a 1098R.
    I imagine the handling is identical twixt them all.
    R motor has a few more bhp and I believe a shed more torque than the others.
    I find the R absolutely fabulous - really bitey and urgent. Could be classed as a bit much for the road as it is so easy to find yourself doing a higher speed than you think.
    On track - basically brilliant.
    The DTC is useless though - used it once and then switched it off forever.
    70mm full system with slash cuts sounds boomtastic and looks purdy too.

I imagine an 1198SP is similar, but less.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Thanks :upyeah:

10. Can’t find a picture of an 1198SP on t’internet that has. Andy

11. you rode @Cupid Stunt 's 1198S briefly near Loomies didn't you R?:thinkingface: not long enough to form an opinion though possibly.

12. It was his 848 Evo.

13. ah! ok.

14. Had a shot of a friends 1098R at a track day a good few years back now, amazing bikes but then again, so are SP's.

Not a huge difference on paper SP 168kgs dry, 170hp & 97ft-lbs of torque, with the R being 169kgs(?) 180hp and 99ft-lbs. Both have DTC albeit the R's version is crap and the SP has DQS.

The R I rode was bog standard, with a tweak to suspension setup for him (he is a tubby bloke). My SP was setup for me 95kgs with kit on) and had a full 70mm system on it, only mods at the time.

I found the R a bit more rugged and the engine edgy/urgent coming out of corners. The SP just seemed a bit smoother all round and the engine seemed with both just as happy to give you power when you asked for it with what I'd say comparable torque booting you up the arse. Not sure if that's due to the lightweight bits in the R and stock exhaust, with the SP having a full exhaust?

Both make you're eye pop out their sockets on the brakes!!!

Both are far too powerful for the street frankly.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Ricky, it only came as a Biposto.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. It's very likely I'd have bought the £12k SP I mentioned earlier, but the owner had it for sale last year and withdrew it. Doing the same again now makes me think he's just testing the market, and isn't serious about selling it.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information