1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1199 1st, 2nd Gear Selection On The Way Down

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Bluehawk, May 20, 2020.

1. As the title suggests. Having trouble down changing after the long wait to get out. I was stuck in 5th gear for a
    while, but freed off ok. Feels like the return spring is catch on my left boot. Sometimes having issues selecting 1st. Fine on the way up. Clutch lever ok too.

Is it stuck with polish? o_O

Any pointers?

TIA.
    G

2. Make sure your foot is clear if the gear lever between downshifts
    The selector has to click back before the next gear can be selected

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Sounds like the return spring is on the way out. Try lifting the pedal lightly with your foot before each downshift. If it shifts down ok then the spring is definitely failing.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. If it gets stuck or wont select you may have a problem with the gear selector arm or the return spring on that arm. Easy fix but takes a long time due to dropping fluid(s), removal of the cover (special tool) and possible removal of the flywheel (another special tool and a big torque wrench) if the spring is broken, also setting up the arm may require a third special tool if it requires adjustment. Hope its something simple. If you have an abba stand or can get the back wheel up you will be able to rock gears using the back wheel and go through the gears to see if it is engaging consistently. if it is a return spring the good news is that the spring is a few pounds, the tools however could easily cost over £300 unless you know someone that has them already

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Panigale is very different selector mech. There's no adjustment or parts to slip out of alignment. If it's not changing smoothly and returning, then there is likely to an issue with the pawl spring inside. It's an easy mech to get to, unlike the older stuff though.
    Rather than feedback from your boot, I'd suggest firstly dropping it on a paddock stand and going thru the gears by hand. You'll get much better feedback. Check the linkages are tight etc. and look for excessive movement in the joints as you change gear.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Thanks all. Very useful. I’ll give an update when I’ve more info. :upyeah::upyeah::upyeah:

7. Reading this as I’ve just commuted on my 899 and had a stiff gear lever action!!
    Twice pulled away in 2nd thinking I’d selected 1st. Whole gear change action felt stiff and remote.
    Also clutch seems to engage as soon as the lever breaks contact with my left grip. Can these issue be in any way related?

8. Sounds like you might just need a bleed. Crack the nipple and give it
    a squeeze and then nip up. Have to do mine once or twice a year.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Well, I’ve bled my clutch; at the lever. About 5ml of fluid into tube I put on bleed nipple. Lever bake to normal ‘feel’.
    Interestingly when I picked the bleed nipple up off the bench it left a ring of oil behind. When I looked inside there was oil in it. Do I guess the nipple had been weeping for a bit?

#9 Biot, May 21, 2020
    Last edited: May 22, 2020
  10. Good news. :upyeah: I love £0 repairs.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information