1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1199 Owner Blown Away By Newly Purchased Facelift 999

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Riviera81, Apr 14, 2021.

1. I've just purchased a 2006 999BP and have to admit to being absolutely astonished by how brilliant it is to ride!

I've so far covered about 2k miles in the saddle of my 1199 which I've enjoyed on the whole, but have found it difficult to gel with the bike, as much as I love it. By comparison, the 999 is a revelation! It feels far more lively and nimble - am I going mad, or are there many others out there who concur??? Is old really gold!?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. I’ll take a punt and guess the Panigale 1199 was your first Ducati ? The 1199 was the first of the ‘new generation’ Ducati superbike where the airbox is used as a stressed member which makes the bike very stiff. The 999 has the more traditional trellis frame which has flexibility and makes for an entirely different riding experience. Andy

3. i love my panigale but to be honest i prefer riding my 996 and rsv mille.

4. Riv,

Have you ever tried a 998? :D

5. Correct Andy!

I’ve owned many bikes in the past, but the Pani is my first Duc, having fallen in love with them, and it’s the first Duc I’ve ever ridden. I’ve got caught up with the history of the late 90s/early 00s and so had to try a trellis framed v-twin. I’m very glad I have!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nope! But this is what I really wanted, but can’t afford one without selling the Pani, hence buying the 999 to give that setup a try first. I think I’d definitely like a 998 even more now!

7. I have been riding an 1199 on track where I would describe it as very "focussed". To get the best out of it you really have to have a plan and concentrate very hard on executing that plan.
    I bought a 999 track bike last year from a well-known member on here, but have yet to get on track due to C-19, but have almost finished the prep work.
    @Riviera81 your post has inspired me to get out there, thank you.

• Like Like x 5
  8. The 999 was a multiple world championship and national race winning bike for a reason. The panigale hasnt won a thing. I ride a 1299. But miss my 1198 and love my 916 for similar reasons to you.

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  9. My 999R was the one that got away. I loved that bike. Sweet handling, analog and perfect power and delivery....

10. Maybe we need a 749/999 appreciation thread......?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. I'm in:grinning:

• Like Like x 1
  12. I haven't been on a 998 but read quite a few reviews and comparisons.
    Allegedly the 999 is a 'better' bike to ride. It just hasn't got the looks and the kudos.

13. I loved the 749/999 the first day I saw it. Despite all the dewy eyed 916 lovers going ape shit, it was a quantum leap. Way ahead of its time. Still look cool as today whereas the 916 derivatives are looking distinctly dated and tired....

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. You seem to sit IN the 999 not ON it. I had an 1198S as well as the 999 and the T9 was my favourite. If you have not had the suspension set up professionally for YOU then get it done. Your smile will be even broader. Convert to a monoposto as well. The starter motor cable upgrade is also a must for the sake of the sprag clutch. Don’t forget the pesky coil/injector/pump relay, fit new and relocate to the top left of the battery box. Plus, fit Termis.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Reality is none of us need 200bhp for a road bike.

Having a bike where you can work the engine a fair bit harder, is ultimately much more fun.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  16. @Sando999 I think you deserve to be the thread creator....

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. yes to the niner
    im liking my 749 and as said above, i feel like im in it innit
    i need to find room in the garage to store a 999r

• Like Like x 1
  18. I bought a lovely 999 from a fellow Forum member MV Man.He was good enough to bring it all the way from Wales to me here in Sussex.
    What a bike for stirring the senses.A real sense of occasion when it gets a very rare outing.
    Here is a picture. DSC_0080.JPG

• Like Like x 17
  19. Hello Merv so glad you still have it. I’ve had to change my name from Mvman as I forgot my password lol. Hope you are keeping well .Regards B ps lovely bike sorry I sold it give me a bell if you are ever going to sell it .

• Like Like x 1
  20. I sold my 999s and sort of regret it. It was the easiest sportsbike I've owned to ride fast. It was so unflustered and solid, and it always felt like you were travelling far slower than you actually were. Several times I would be bobbling along and thinking "should get a wriggle on" and looked down at the speedo to find it was quite deep into triple figures. That said, you also had the feeling you could ride it and still wring its neck a bit and that made it fun. From 1098 onwards they got significantly faster it seems, which made the top-level Ducati less relevant as a road bike (hence now having an 899 rather than 1199/1299).

Great bikes, especially in yellow. :)

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information