1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 1200 R V 1200s

Discussion in 'Monster' started by J biker, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Looking at buying a Monster 1200 S or 1200 R

What are the main differences for equipment. R has Marchesini, steering damper? Quickshifter on S, after a certain year? Dunno.
    Will be for road use only though I do like a bit play. My understanding is more ground clearance on the R, is it stiffer suspension and therefore less compliant?

Should add I am looking at a used Monster, maybe 2016/17/18

2. I have a R and it is a stunning bike ,it also has more power and torque than the S ,the lightweight wheels make a big difference to turn in .
    I have found that the Ohlins are superb on the road ,i just had the front slightly tweaked when it was in for its service to smooth the ride over very rippled tarmac .
    The R also has slightly different geometry to the S to aid handling etc .
    I did a lot a research etc before settling on the R ,but the what made my mind up was reading one test and the tester said ,if you have a S ,don't ride a R .
    Go for it ,either are great and you will love it .

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Go for the R. it's just too much more! If you like a little play i would recommend. I didnt want to change from mine, and would have been happy to keep for good!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. I’ve had my R for four years and it’s epic. The engine is sublime, fuels perfectly and throttle response is immediate (fit throttle spacers). The chassis is definitely aimed at track or for making rapid progress, worth setting up the suspension to suit you - I softened the front a touch just to help on crappy road surfaces. It’s a bit of a pain when dawdling around but when getting a move on it’s probably the best real roads bike I’ve ridden in 35 years. It’s also pretty easy to trash a pair of tyres in under 2000 miles without being overly stupid on the roads.

I had an S on loan for a week, not as sharp or focused as the R and probably easier to live with if using everyday but I hated the quick shifter, too clunky.

buy the R, you’ll not regret it

Ped
    E918948D-E97C-4226-9664-B4CFAF39711E.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. M1200R here too. I agree with all the above but one main factor for me was size, I found the standard & S to small. After a test ride on a standard M1200 I said to the dealer nice bike but its just too small. He said here have a sit on this M1200R with comfort seat (20mm higher than standard R seat) & then I knew that was the bike I needed - taller, wider bars, I felt a lot less cramped.
    BTW - I'm 5'11", by no means tall.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Thanks all.
    Leaning toward the R.
    Looking at specs sheets in reviews they say 200 back tyre, will a 190 fit without adverse problems? Just to fit cheaper and more road biased (but still sporty) tyres.
    I prefer to have a shifter, even if it is a bit lazy due some clutch hand aches and pains. Got used to it too on my last 4 bikes (gs, 1290gt, s1, gs...) and the GS is not a “quick” quickshifter...so does the Ducati shifter fit? If not options are out there?

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. R for me too. Agree with all the comments from fellow contributors. I test rode the S and R back to back, with the dealer suggesting I take the R out second. Yep !! Like others, felt bit more roomy than the S,(have put on comfort seat) bit stiffer and not so ‘easy’ around town, but open it up and wow...
    I too, fitted throttle spacers and that helped ‘smoothness’ immensely - personally I’m not too bothered about quickshifter. Go for it... !

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. I’m another with the R. Fantastic bike and you won’t regret it. If you can’t have fun on a Monster, you’re at a level that I’ve never seen before, Rossi included. In all honesty, I’m sure I would have been completely happy with the S, or even the base model. I chose the R, and it’s a little embarrassing to admit, purely for vanity reasons. I fell in love with the black version and had to have it.

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Don't think any changes where made.
    Recently bought a 19 Reg.and doing my research didn't find any changes over the years.
    Quickshifter missing was no problem for me.
    Had 4 bikes with quickshifters,my current hyper as the blipper as well and I still hardly ever use it.Always been mechanically sympathetic so changing without the clutch just doesn't seem correct especially when you get that horrible clunk.
    Must be me,most people love them.

10. I have changed up without a shifter for years, Multistrada 1200, FZ1 even a 2014 GS. No issues if timed right.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Can’t you just add a QS or do the gearboxes not like it? Imho a QS is essential these days! Really miss one on my old S4

12. There are options. Not sure if the Ducati qs (that fits other Monsters) is plug and play, if not I have sourced another option.
    Never thought Iwould see the day when pulling the clutch lever in would seem like a chore! Got some problems with left hand though which means aches and pains after a few hours without a qs. Dont need to trash the gearbox when using one though as they all need to have the right revs and throttle opening to find a sweet spot.
    Btw Bradders, was on my way to test ride 1250 GS after being disappointed by Multi 1260 and thought..”where is the excitement”? So decided to keep the best tourer on the market and buy a second bike!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Would also like to add Ducati heated grips lol....

14. Utterly sensible :upyeah:

May be off to look at an s1000rr tomorrow....My next sensible touring bike ;)

15. Hoping to view a nice R tomorrow. Just realised that where the steering damper sits, it may not be possible to fit bar risers and keep the damper. Is this the case? On S1 and Superduke I had risers circa 25-30mm which made a big difference to comfort. A7D918B8-79CB-4687-AE11-42F41D414A6A.png

16. Did you manage to view the bike?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information