1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 1200 S 2011, With Suspension Ecu Upgrade ?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Desmoboy, May 23, 2018.

1. I've been looking again at Multistrada's, cant stay away from them as a candidate for a new tourer. Came across a 2011 model and wonder what the collective wisdom is for this year. How would i be able to tell for example which of the apparent issues in the earlier ones might have visited this one.
    Indeed what are the known issues, did the porous heads appear for the 2011 model year.

I had been looking for something in the 2013-14 vintage with skyhook and full panniers but the one i have seen does look very good.

Thanks in advance guys

2. I personally would opt for the 13-14. Heads did have issues on the earlier ones and, even if the recall was done, the dealer may have just done a coolant swap and left the old heads. I’d only trust it if the heads were done too. Also other changes in the later models which can only be of benefit. Earlier models also had rad failures as a common problem. A few also had main bearing issues (again, different bearings in later models). Dealers seemed to shun the earlier models on trade-ins.

I think that these issues were basically sorted with the later ones, so save yourself a potential headache. Cracking bikes, just put yourself in the best position to have a working one.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. So it was this vintage that had the Heads issue then,thanks by the way. Do you know if it was all of them that were recalled. I should be able to find out from the owner i suppose.

4. All were recalled, although the actual recall was to change the coolant and only change the heads if they were leaking. In my mind, all had damage, just some worse than others. If the heads weren’t replaced, you’ve basically got partially damaged heads.

5. I’ve still got my ‘10, with the SCU upgrade & a 42 tooth rear sprocket. I was out playing today on it, and still can’t see why I’d want to change it - it really is a civilised hooligan - a true SPORTS tourer. I’ve had the collapsed radiator (comp’d by Ducati after 6 years), engine and swingarm finish is crap, and it’s had new clocks under warranty, otherwise it’s been fine. I like the edge it has relative to the later bikes - I’ve never liked the DVT engine (although the 1260 is another matter).

6. Having had an 11' S Touring with the Ohlins ECU upgrade it is an excellent bit of kit provided it's had the recalls done as above. I've moved on to the 13 S with skyhook and can say it's better than ohlins ECU upgrade in my humble opinion and for piece of mind I'd go for a 13/14 model if you're able to.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Thanks guys, anymore gen greatly appreciated.

8. The only model of Multi I haven't ridden is the 13-14 Twin Spark. Having however ridden the DVT fairly extensively, I'd say that the Skyhook on that gives a really good range of adaptation over varying terrain and loads (far more than the Ohlins SCU) but it lacks that last few % of feel and feedback that you get from the Ohlins when its properly set up. The Ohlins algorithms in Sport mode are pretty full on for most roads, so Touring often works better unless you're right on it in head-down, no-nonsense mode. Which has been known to happen. So very much a trade-off at the margins - whilst I personally prefer the Ohlins setup, if I were buying new now, I'd probably not cough up the extra over Skyhook for the 1260 PP over the S, but I probably would if the current PP had the semi-active version, which works quite brilliantly on the V4S.

9. If you’re going to be carrying variable loads regularly ,luggage, touring, Pillion etc then skyhook all the way
    For solo use , you just don’t adjust more than main modes in my experience so an Ohlins with an upgraded scu fits the bill in my opinion. I really like the way the Ohlins rides when setup

I have the skyhook now and it’s great once set up ... you always need to set the preload to your own weight using traditional methods , ie measuring sag not just playing with the buttons (rear only).

No experience of the porous heads , but if they are a concern go for the later model

• Agree Agree x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information