1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200s Brake Pads

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by RexDangerVest, May 16, 2020.

1. I have read a bunch of threads. None are specific to my...
    2014 Monster 1200S. Even though I am sure it shares brakes with other models.

One caveat, I dont know yet what I have on the bike. The first owner seemed to have upgraded everything else so I do not know. It had under 6K miles when I bought it and had the fluid changed. I was told the pads were fine. I have no problems yet, but I want a set ready for when it happens.
    That being said. I like the feel that I have so whatever is there might be what I go with no matter the help I get.

Rex

2. Aaannddd...
    I dont see the same pad type for the rear on the Brembo site.
    What do i get for the rear?

These?
    Road - SP
    Product code: 07BB20.SP

Rex

3. They state race pads, is this a track bike? If not then I find an HH compound from EBC, Ferodo and others give good road braking. For track brakes are either on or off often at max effort, so can take a little time to warm up in comparison to HH and will not have the same feel.

4. I have heard the same. But. I have also heard that others like this type for the road. On the Brembo site there are listings that show the amount of friction across temperature. These seem to have the highest friction coefficient to start with and they stay high.
    Like anything else you need a lot of personal opinion before you make a decision and then gain your first hand experience. I dont want something too grabby, but others have said the EBC HH felt like wood. and yet others do recommend them.

Do you have any listings for those you mention?

Rex

5. Lets see if this works. Out of the 3 on the page I might want these racing ones seem the least raciest compared to the other Race ones. They start high and stay pretty high. Perhaps when people say they need heat to work when talking about racing pads they mean... to work at their best, but maybe they are still good at regular temps?
    Nothing is really stated about wear, but I imagine the racier they are that they dont last as long.

All opinions are good opinions for this type of stuff.

Racing - SC
    Product code: 07BB37.SC

[​IMG]

Road - SA
    Product code: 07BB37.SA

[​IMG]

This is what comes up as recommended but there are many others on the page. They dont state if the 93 (higher is more friction) is the SX or TT?? So they might be nearly the same as the SA above
    Genuine - Sinter ( 93 )
    Product code: 07BB37.93

[​IMG]

his is one of the truly race compounds...
    and this picture does not help at all

Brembo Racing Z04
    Product code: M497Z04
    [​IMG]

Rex

6. IME don’t get race pads for road use. You will never hit the max temps they are designed to work at on a road. Based upon the materials they are made from this will lead to glazing of the pad’s surface which dramatically reduces its friction co-efficient and renders them next to useless.

Get race pads for track use.

Get road pads for road use.

You can use road pads on track days but prepared for rapid wear and possible brake fade due to the pad overheating - although this is unlikely unless you are an advanced rider in which case you probsbly would have a dedicated track bike.

7. EBC HH are a good choice and cheaper than the Brembo pads recommended for your bike.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information