1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 1200s Vs 1260s

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by benjit, Sep 28, 2021.

?
  1. 1200

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  2. 1260

13 vote(s)
    59.1%
  1. I am looking at getting a Multi and have seen a really nice 1200S touring with very low miles. I've also seen a 3 year newer low mileage (1500 more than the 1200) 1260S touring.

They both appear to be in very good condition, come from a dealer with warranty and a full service history. The spec is almost identical.

The 1260S is c£3000 more than the 1200S. Is it worth the extra for the newer bike??

Thanks in advance!

2. I've had 2 1200s and currently have a 1260s. All have been great but I love the 1260 more. Quick shifter is great imo.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ride them back to back(if you can get petrol!) and make your own mind up. You’ll soon realise that you’ll have a favourite.

• Like Like x 1
  4. They’re very similar. The move from 1200 to 1260 isn’t life changing, it’s just a bit more of everything.

If I’d never ridden the bigger bike, I’d be very happy with the 1200. But I do love my 1260.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I adored the 1200 I had a few years back, awesome bike. £3k not to be sniffed at, but if you can afford it chances are you’ll get most of it back come resale time and newer is usually “better” so treat yourself.

Not like you’ve spent much on holidays recently, right?

• Like Like x 2
  6. 1260 has longer swing arm, more stable but slightly slower to turn. Fuller mid range apparently too.

Only briefly rode a 1200 on a disaterous test ride screwed up by Fowlers so no real comparison.

Very happy with my 1260 and if I was in your position, could afford the extra £3k, but bought the 1200 it would nag me that I'd not done myself justice.

How low are the miles on the 1200? Is the 1260 getting near 18k and the desmo service?

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. The 1200 is on about 2500 miles, the 1260 on about 4000. Both very low!

8. Thanks all. I think I need to try both if I can. I do worry that I will regret not stretching to the 1260 even if I don’t need it!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Personally, I found the power difference between the two to be minimal. There arent huge differences between the two, so you won't be disappointed with either.

what are the ages of the two ?
    Things that will be different:
    dash layout - each update it gets clearer, better laid out, menus better too.
    quick shifter - imo its superb, makes the 1260 so much sweeter to ride (but you could have one fitted to the 1200 for a lot les than 3k)
    heat - from my experience the 1260 definitely gives off more heat.

To throw another spoiler in the mix, you could do worse than consider a 950. For most sub 3 figure riding it will do everything a 1200/1260 will. Plus you will get a newer bike (if that matters to you)

Hope that helps :)

• Like Like x 2
  10. Changed from a 1200S to a 1260S this year. The 1260S is more of everything, quickshifter is great, brakes great, hill hold useful, cruise control great, much smoother bottom end power, dash is brilliant. It does feel bigger, a bit heavier and slower to turn. Both bikes are brilliant. I guess a test ride will tell you which to choose.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mmmmmmmmm, I thought I’d keep my 1200 forever as it was so good. Never felt the need for the lecky suspension and colour dash, quick shifter etc. Had it 5 years.
    Anyroads, would I swap my 1260 for my old bike?
    No. It’s just superb, that ‘tiny’ bit better in every department that all adds up to a much better bike.
    Here’s a picture, ain’t she cute
    8D9C4336-D9A5-40A8-9688-B40A03A107D0.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  12. I think the hill hold is just great. I use it quite a lot. Never bother with the cruise control, but everything as you say is just that little bit better and all adds up to a much better bike. I thought my first, a pre DVT multi, was a little quicker, but that might just be in my head as the DVT and now the 1260 are just smoother. Definitely agree with others about trying them both. They're all fantastic bikes tho.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Also forget to mention that the rear brake on the 1260 actually works

• Like Like x 1
  14. @Yoozy - I like the colour of your bike - thought I was set on red, but yours looks good!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. I'm on my fourth Multi, 3 x 1200 now on a 1260. For a 3k saving I would have the 1200 as IMHO there is not much difference in the bikes; depends if you want a QS and a touch more power. Also I find the 1260 slightly vibey at low revs more than the 1200.

• Like Like x 1
  16. I was in the same position. But after considering the benefits of the all the 1260's upgrades over a 1200, and a factory spanner man saying to me, if you can afford the extra then get a 1260, that's what I did.
    I did test ride a 950 and gave consideration, but I wanted the DVT smoothness at the bottom end.
    Yes £14.5K was a lot of money too me, but 6 months in no regrets.

• Like Like x 1
  17. You cannot get better than best ... and a 1200 DVT IS already the best ;) Anything else is just superfluous. Save the £3K and use it for trick bits.

• Like Like x 1
  18. The 1260 is a fair step up from the 1200. Better in almost every way. The 1260 has gobs of power where the 1200 falls flat.

19. If you think a 160bhp DVT1200 is flat, you should ask Petronas if you can replace Rossi, clearly you have something that no-one else has :D ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. 1260 will give you bragging' rights at bike meets... Last of the twin cylinder Multi's !! :cool:

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information