1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 1200s Vs 950

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Longdog, Jul 4, 2020.

Tags:
  1. I have been looking around for a 2016-17 1200S, (and I think I may have found one), but I have just realised that I haven’t seen much on here about the 950 Multistrada. There again, I may have been looking in the wrong places as I have only looked for the 1200. So, how do these compare? Yes, I know the 950 does not have the poke of the 1200, but it would be nice to get first hand experience from and owner or two.

2. People who ride them seem to be happy enough. It’s the people who don’t ride them that can’t grasp the point of a bike that weighs the same as its bigger brother and has less top end power than its bigger brother. It’s not as quick, it’s not as fast but it’s perfectly happy touring at normal speeds. Andy

3. No practical experience of either, but I've done a fair bit of research. I've made the decision that I will buy a new 950s. I think that the 950 has plenty of power - maybe, if you were two-up touring, then the extra power of the 1200 would be useful but I can't justify the price hike. I wanna be able to cruise on a motorway in Europe at 80, easily. The 950 will do this and so I can't see the point of shelling out more.

• Like Like x 2
  4. That sort of matches my thoughts. I like the thought of all the grunt of the 1200, but all my riding is solo and I do at least two longish European tours each year.
    Sometimes, less is more :upyeah:

5. I keep reading that if your a bit of a short arse then the 1200/1260 is better because the seat height is adjustable, whereas it’s not on the 950 apparently?

#5 Ackers, Jul 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  6. When I looked into it, I think that you can get a lower seat.

7. Do not buy a 950. HP wins every time. Better to have it and not use it, than not have it and want it. Buy the 1200, you will always be under powered with that 950.

• Like Like x 1
  8. A 20mm lower seat is available as a £200 accessory for the 950. Although there is a new cost difference between the 950 and 1200 it is worth considering the cost of accessories that one might have over the other (like a centre stand) and whether you actually need them.

p.s. I assume you are going used as you might struggle to find a new 1200.

#8 Stanford, Jul 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  9. A lot of reviews recently seem to say the 950 is the better bike. I haven't ridden the 950 Multi but that engine in the Hyper and Supersport has plenty of poke.

10. If your buying a 950 new type money.. Id rather by its bigger brother that's reaching 1st mot time. No question.

11. Why? I wanna buy new whether it's the 950 or 1200. There is going to be some factory extras like panniers, centre stand, possibly more (like GPS and mobile charger). I can get the 950s up to about 15 grand with no trouble, but the 1200 hits 21K easily!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Id just never buy new.
    Thats just me. Also the extra grunt is very addictive when appropriate. Just my opinion. X

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. If money is no obstacle then I don't know why someone would buy a 950. Is it more mpg? I don't know who says 950 is better? Sorry if you've done the research. I havent. Im just airing lockdown redwine opinion. Xx

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Because the 950 is all i need. Why pay more for a 1200 when a 950s does the job?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Here is my opinion, from someone that had a 950 for 3 years from new.......
    the first question you need to ask yourself is, what will I be using it for ??? You said doing Europe tours...... I did European tours fully loaded with panniers, top box & roll bags on pillion seat, was not a problem, even in 40+ temperatures

are you someone that likes all the electronics & gadgets??? As a 950 does not have cruise control, heated grips or all the electronics of the 1200....yes you can add a version of heated grips but they are a bit of a faff to use.

there are some really good deals at the moment on a 950s, which I think would be the correct bike for the useage you describe.

before anybody asks why I didn’t get a 950s instead of my 1260s......the deal I got was too good to turn down

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. And there is around a 6k price diff.

17. I know you can get heated grips as an option and think that cruise may also be available. Either way, it does not bother me, as I've never missed it heated grips or cruise, before.

18. I've just done another configuration - up to over 17k now! Heated grips is definitely an option but can't see cruise control as one so if you want it, then doesn't look like you can have it on a 950s.

19. that's because it comes standard on a S not a option, the prices on the configurator is the RRP but will be cheaper buying from dealer stock

20. Im someone who has the 950s ,first off all cruise control is standard and so is the semi active suspension. Heated grips is an add on which I have .
    The bike is fast enough for me for touring and cruising around and you get to use all the gears . It has everthing the 1260 and 1200 has but just not as fast .

Do Not Sell My Personal Information