1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

125 For The Mrs

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Alan-g, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Was looking at the mrs getting a 125 so we can both be a bit more comfortable doing some wee trips. As theres not a lot of room on the new 950 hyper for both of us.
    Found a great deal for a ktm duke 125. And could just about justify it.
    So did some insurance quotes
    HOLY S***. Safe to say shel no be getting a bike anytime soon.

A 125 is ment to be cheap transport and to get younger people into riding.
    How on earth can anyone justify the absolutely ridiculous quotes for a 125cc bike.
    The mrs is 20, has a car with 2yr ncb. bike in a garage with locks ect, 2000miles a yr. and the quotes are coming in at around 1200 fully comp, 800 tpft, and 600 third party only

I remember my 125 insurance about 8 yrs ago was about £260

Motorcyling is going to die a death if this keeps up

#1 Alan-g, Apr 9, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Yip - my mate at work pays about 800 or so.....

3. To be fare 60p ain't too bad you tight git :thinkingface:

4. Try a quote on a suzuki Van Van - great starter bike and less likely to attract thieves and the high premium

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. A 20 year old with no no claims bike insurance (very few take into account car insurance unless on a multi vehicle policy) in a capital city and a rather nickable ktm is always going to be high. Are there any manufacturers doing a free insurance deals at the moment?

6. That's serious money for a 125. Does it drop over the first couple of years if she does not have a claim?

7. At 20 she has 2 years experience driving on the roads. Its normally 17yr olds with no experience buying these bikes.
    Im not in the city, juat a vilage 10 miles outsdie Edinburgh. Its Scotland though, not exactly comparable to london with regards to bike theft.
    £1200 policy and about a £1000 excess. Evsn if u bought brand new by the time u put 5 miles on it it wouldnt be worth more than £2200 in the eyes of the insurance if u were to make a claim.

And the theft aspect cant be what drives the price up as third party only is still £600. Absolutely absurd. How much damage are u likely to do to someone elses property with a 125.
    Iv just insured a brand new hyper 950sp, fully comp, 1yr ncb. For less than a 125 third party.
    If paying monthly the bike would cost around £70 and the insurance about £110. How can motorcycle manufacturers survive if new riders are being castrated before they even start

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I trust you've tried all the usual suspects on comparison sites? It will drop quickly but that is eye-watering for 1st year. Maybe try pricing different bikes - but if you want the KTM you want the KTM :(

9. 10m ootside Edinburgh...Nitten?

10. Tried a YBR125? We got Hattie a YBR125 Custom when she was learning. Cheap as chips to buy and insure, but she was 42 at the time rather than 20.

I think that being young carries a hefty tax these days. Tell her she should have been born a bit more in the mid seventies, as the 90's were a great time to be young and in love with bikes.

You're right though, go to any bike meet / haunt / cafe and it's full of men in their 40/50/60/70's. Anyone under 40 is regarded as a whippersnapper now.

11. YBR 125 is a really good motorcycle, especially suitable for a first time rider imo. More so than the little KTM which only really comes to life when you wring it's neck, so it's more of a hooligan machine.
    I was privileged to be lent Steve Hislops widows YBR when I was at the I.O.M T.T a few years ago and I had a fantastic week riding the little thing flat out around the course. I love riding little bikes, you really have to work hard to maintain speed, and it teaches you to anticipate and prepare more. If I had the room I would definitely love to have one in my collection.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Aye

• Like Like x 1
  13. would a 125 scooter be any cheaper I wonder and if so would it be acceptable? The ktm 125 is a cracking looking bike and I wonder if sports 125's are a higher insurance cost than a 125 scooter?

14. Had the same issue myself with 125 insurance, when I was 17 I picked up a used Yamaha WR125X for £1900 and iirc it cost me around £1000 for my insurance (I live in the middle of nowhere, Aberdeenshire and have a garage too!). I got 1 years NCB on the Yamaha and then switched bikes midway though my second year. I purchased my Hypermotard when I was 19 and it cost me £420 fully comp with 1 year NCB and now with 3 years it's down to £315.

The cost of insurance pretty much caused none of my peers to ride, with logic along the lines of "why waste that much on insurance for a slow 125 when you can insure a car for cheaper?". I've literally never ridden with anyone else (other than instructors).

15. Also check out some Chinese 125's, some of them are pretty decent (Namely Lexmoto) . The insurance for them is piss cheap in my experience, I had a Lexmoto Michigan which I purchased for £700 (11 months old, 300km on the clocks and pristine condition) and with my 1 year NCB it cost me £98 fully comp when I was 18.

16. Van Vans are funky looking. I like em.

17. Have you tried getting a new missus?

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. My mates wife has one. Theres a big wheel conversion for the front which makes them look way better..

19. She is 20 not 70 - so no need to PX her just yet....:)

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information