1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 1260 Multi Clearance Problem Between Chain And Tyre

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by dddd, Dec 13, 2018.

1. I recently noticed some pretty nasty gauging out of the side of my rear tyre.

I'm guessing under hard right hand cornering the tyre is flexing enough to allow the chain to nibble away at the side of the entire tyre.

I'm currently running PR 5 (STD 190 55) which actually measure up about 4mm wider than the OEM scorpion 2, which I fortunately kept and after checking it closely noticed the same marks but not as bad

Before anyone ask, I'm running 38 psi and always keep my chain adjustment in spec

I'm wondering if the 1260 owners could check and advice if they are having the same problems

20181213_104533_resized[8087].jpg

20181213_104601_resized[8086].jpg

#1 dddd, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Many thanks for posting that.
    Yes, I've just been a looked at my Scorpion (second set) and have the same shaped marks, they are very feint and I wouldn't have noticed them had you not pointed it out.

3. I would be surprised if that was the chain causing the issue

Check your dirt deflector is fitted correctly and isn’t loose or flexing and catching the tyre under certain loads

4. I am on my 3rd Road 5 Rear tyre on the 1260 after 12K+ miles and have never seen any such marks on the tyres. I have the AFAM Gold DID chain which is a 530 chain and there is 8mm clearance between the bottom chain run and the edge of the almost new Road 5. Unless the chain had run very slack I cant see how it would touch the tyre, maybe something else is out of alignment?

5. I recall a post a while back from a guy that had an issue with the brake hose plastic cover rubbing the tyre. This was after he had the dealer fit a chain oiler.
    That would be my first check, the covers and guides, not the chain.

If it is the chain then there is likely something else wrong, I agree though that the grooves do make it look likely to be the chain.
    Are the ends on f the pins on the chain polished ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. You could use a typex pen or letter writing pen on the outside edge of your tyre, ride it for a while and then see what part of the bike the tyre has contacted by the white marks?

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Whatever caused it also affected my first tyre.

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  8. There was also a post on here about the hugger touching the tyre, with pictures. Don,t know the outcome but a search might find it.

9. Thanks for your replies. Veetwin has told me what I needed to ask (and didn't) the clearance on his at 8mm. It's glaringly obvious my 3mm clearance is definitely wrong. I'm guessing something has been left off during assembly
    It might be wise for 1260 owners to check there clearance, Hugo yours will almost certainly be like mine

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. I had the same marks on the Michelin 5 road, and I took it to check, found that the chain was loosened, and when I accelerated hard, the chain was too far off to lose the flank, I adjusted the chain and it was finished

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yes I have no doubt that a loose chain will contribute to the problem. however I'm very careful of that and its always within spec

12. I had this problem when running super moto rims on my Drz years ago those marks are the same. I had to make a chain guide that sat on the swingarm that sorted it .... its the tyre profile running Maxxis Goldspeeds the chain would eat the tyre if i run a tyre with a different narrower wall would not rub ...

13. Very interesting post. Thank you. I am about to buy new tyres and was thinking of getting PR5's. The Ducati dealer did mention that there was a known issue with them rubbing on the chain in certain circumstances. I think they mentioned this to avoid any complaints afterwards so could be the tyre is wider or deflects more under hard cornering, not that I will be finding out over the next few months as it's too cold and wet for any fast cornering, (Well is for me anyway!!)

14. Just looked at mine PR5 on 1200s 2017 no catching but yes the chain is very close & could guess if worn or loose would cause the problem.
    20181230_141317.jpg 20181230_141447.jpg

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. I had road 5's on my 15 (same as your 17) and had no clearance issues, which is why I was very surprised to have the issue on my 18

16. I reckon the gap is about 3-4mm. I have looked closely at the tyre & I think there is just a slight mark where it has touched.

17. I had thought pr5 is the issue but saw the o/ps mention of the scorpion 2's. Of those who have had this issue can I ask if you are regular tourers and/or regular pillion takers and /or are chunky monkeys?

I'm also wondering if the tyre size/clearance doesn't cope with the variances as well and perhaps a 180 maybe a better fit?

18. Dodgy putting wrong size tyre on. Insurance etc. I am av weight 1 up rider. All kinds of terrain. I know a worn chain will have side movement & the slack on the multi is more than most bikes have. So I guess worn chain & slack tension = tyre catching.

19. Think you'll find it's the same size tyre but from different manufacturer.

20. I was referring to a 180 to a 190.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information