1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 1260 Paint

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by suruppak, Oct 8, 2018.

1. On my 2011 Multi, I washed it rarely and detailed it once per year. It never had any bug etchings in the paint.

On my 2018 Multi, I keep it clean, and it has 2 coats of Rejex, and one coat of wax. I went on a 30 day trip, and washed it when I came back. I sprayed all the bugs off once during the trip; so the bike went about 2 weeks with bugs on the front before being detailed.

The front of the bike is covered in bug etchings! I clayed it, no effect. So I stepped up and used a polish. The polish didn't help the bug etchings either, I'm sure it needs compound.

However, the weird thing is, the polish was turning my applicator red! I haven't had polish turn an applicator the color of the paint since the 80s when cars weren't clear coated!

So, I'm wondering if the clear coat is missing, or if my Multi's paint is somehow incorrectly applied from the factory. Any thoughts?

*also posted on US forum

2. They dont have clear coat... just base coat... my multi and scramblers always showed a little colour to the cloth on polishing marks out.

3. Wow! No clear coat on my $23,000 motorcycle? I must say I find that hugely disappointing.

4. Maybe that's why the white model costs £200 more?

5. Don't need a clear coat on a 2k paint as it is a direct high gloss finish and is just as hard as a clear coat if applied correctly.

6. My impression is that clearcoat isn't on there for hardness. It's on there so the base coat doesn't get etched, and primarily so that the paint doesn't oxidize and fade. Who wants a pink Ducati?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yep, red has no clear coat as it is a flat colour, whereas the white is a pearlescent (or certainly was on the earlier MTS's), so is actually a 3 coat process.

I think the bugs are getting more acidic as they seem to be marking the gell coat on my carbon bits : unamused:

8. Well, if my 2011 didn't have a clear coat either, then I wonder if the paint was somehow applied or cured incorrectly on my 2018, as I didn't have these issues on the old bike. I'm going to ask my dealer if this can be a warranty issue.

9. My 2016 Monster 1200S hasn't been clear-coated either. The paint finish is really poor. It got scratched (easily) within a month of me having the bike (I bought it new), and 10,000 miles on really looks like it could do with re-painting in places. It looks thin and lacks any real gloss. Very disappointing. For information, mine is a pearlescent white bike. It's a metallic colour, albeit with a feint "fleck" to the paint.

I've recently been looking at secondhand Multistradas - a year or so old. They look the same - the paint seems flat and dull. It's like they need a trip to the paint shop for a couple of coats of lacquer. I'm really very tempted to do just that with the Monster. It would give it some much needed gloss and really improve the overall appearance of the paintwork.

10. Get the paint buffed out by somebody who knows what they are doing and it will be like new....

11. I made the mistake of strapping a bag on top of my top box when touring this year, it is now so scratched I will have to get the red panels resprayed.
    The paint does seem rather soft.

12. I don't buy that red shouldn't have a clearcoat, this is penny pinching by Ducati. A good example is look at an 899/959 in red, then look at a 1299 in red (and probably the v4). The red 1299 is clearcoated, the red 899/959 lower model isnt.

13. You may well be right, all I can say is what i posted above is what the painter of my bike told me when I had it painted.

Thinking about it, aren't the paint codes in the back of the manuals ?
    I have a feeling I was wrong above, and the panels should be clear coated, but the frame and wheels aren't.

14. I found this, this are 848 codes but I would expect them to be the same.

20150413_155318-1.jpg

15. There is lot more than one red Ducati paint colour.

16. I appreciate that Duke, but the above gives the clear coat code for the current gen bikes.
    Whether they should all have a clear coat, or which models do and which dont, I have no idea.

17. Well, I started a warranty claim through Hall's Cycles, and today they just called me and told me that Ducati is going to replace those two body panels on my Multistrada! So thanks to Hall's and Ducati for making it right!

18. I think there may be some confusion here. Origonal solid colours were usualy 2 pack type paint with no need for clear coat but now all manufacturers have to use water based paint which means it requires clear coat. Son in law prefers older type acrylic but he,s not allowed to use it any more which is ironic, because the clear coat is only available in 2 pack. So back to carcinogenic spray in the enviroment.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information