1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 1260 Pikes Peak - First Impression + Question

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by gc6269, Feb 17, 2019.

1. After 3 years with a 1200 PP, I decided to upgrade. Took delivery just after New Year but I haven’t had a chance to get out until yesterday.

The roads weren’t great but did just short of 150 miles. I’m really pleased, the engine has just that little bit more and the whole bike feels more stable. I was looking for a trade off in turning speed on account of the longer wheelbase but I can’t say I noticed any difference.

I love the quickshifter and the odd ‘pop’ on upshifts sound great.

So I’m really pleased overall, but I do have a question regarding the downshift. It’s enabled on the software, but if I’m honest, it doesn’t appear to be doing anything. I’m not sure what I was expecting but something like an auto blipper. Am I missing something?

2. Will you be getting the termi full system?

3. Are you fully closing the throttle to the stop before shifting down ? My V4 DQS definitely blips on the down shift but only if the throttle is closed. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  4. Should have said, it’s already on!

Also the heated grips are a lot better than the 1200, although I’m sure the right hand is warmer than the left!

5. always will be because the throttle has an insulated plastic tube which stops heat dissipation.

• Useful Useful x 2
  6. Is the downshift working are you asking about actually hearing a blip ?
    If it is then I found on my 939sss the size of the blip depended on speed /gear etc sometimes I'd notice the blip to match the engine speed most of the time it'd slot into the lower gear with little fuss. Same on my new 1260s Strada ?

7. I can’t recall hearing a blip at any point yesterday. The only time it seemed to ‘work’ was when I’d expect the box to shift down in any case.

8. I have purchased a 1260PP as well but have yet to ride it.
    About the U/D quickshifter:
    I have had the opportunity to ride one on the new Monster "S".
    Up was Panigale smooth and impressive but down was a letdown as I had to close the throttle completely for the gears to engage.
    I opted to stay on the gas with a slight twist while using the clutch. Just as fast and more reassuring IMHO.

9. That's how the downshift works, on closed throttle, then the auto blipper works great. I found it excellent on tour descending Alpine passes without continually using the clutch.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. I'm looking forward to get the bike on the road once the snow is gone. I'll give it a lot of tests then.

11. So on a closed throttle, going down the box should blip the engine?

I’m using the clutch going down the box yeah?

12. On a closed throttle going down the box will blip the engine, DON'T use the clutch. I only use the clutch when completely stopped. The system works well, I can't compare it to other bikes as it's my first bike with this option.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Got used to this on my MV Turismo, 1260s works the same way, maybe a touch less smooth on the shift but still works well. As said; closed throttle for down-shifts and just hold throttle constant and let the electronics do their thing on up-shifts. An alien concept to not moderate throttle momentarily on the latter.

#13 Bumpkin, Feb 18, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  14. couple of thousand miles in on my 1260PP and both up and down is noticeably smoother now; very notchey especially down from new.

15. Agree. I got my PP in October and have done just under a couple of thousand miles. The gearbox has definitely got better as the miles went on. Upshifts are sublime, however the downshifts do require a bit more effort until you work it out. As someone else said, you need to shut the throttle. Great fun learning though :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information